Hypothetical Question: To Catch a Predator..........

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
Cops can pose as children to lure pedophiles from the internet and arrest them. This is fine and good. However, if the people posing on the internet are not actually underage, then the person they get arrested didn't really proposition a real underage person for sex.

Is it a crime (legally) to proposition an adult who is posing as underage for sex?

Suppose a young adult cop poses as being underage has sex with an adult. Can that adult be arrested for being a pedophile since he though he was having sex with someone underage?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting pedophiles out of society so that they can not hurt children; however, there is a difference in actually committing a crime against an actual child and simply thinking that the person is a child.

Cops can pose as children to lure pedophiles from the internet and arrest them. This is fine and good. However, if the people posing on the internet are not actually underage, then the person they get arrested didn't really proposition a real underage person for sex.

Is it a crime (legally) to proposition an adult who is posing as underage for sex?

Suppose a young adult cop poses as being underage has sex with an adult. Can that adult be arrested for being a pedophile since he though he was having sex with someone underage?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting pedophiles out of society so that they can not hurt children; however, there is a difference in actually committing a crime against an actual child and simply thinking that the person is a child.
So you got busted. It sucks to be you.

An undercover cop doesn't have to have murdered people to work undercover as a hitman. Not does a cop have to have sold millions of dollars of meth to work undercover as a dealer.

If this is supposed to be clickbait, it is a failure.

You have a point and of course its illegal to solicit sex from a REAL minor. But someone posing as one? I've always had a problem with that. Because you can't go to jail for selling an undercover cop cooking flour that HE thinks is cocaine. So if it's not real drugs and so no charges can be filed, how come charges for crimes against children can be brought up when no actual children were targeted or harmed?

So you got busted. It sucks to be you.

An undercover cop doesn't have to have murdered people to work undercover as a hitman. Not does a cop have to have sold millions of dollars of meth to work undercover as a dealer.

If this is supposed to be clickbait, it is a failure.
You obviously clicked.... LOL.....

And you miss the point of the question. I was not asking about who can work undercover? That said, suppose an undercover cop arranges a "drug deal" but instead of using bags of cocaine the bags are filled with sugar. The cop sells a bag of sugar to a dude that thinks he is buying cocaine. Then the cop arrests the dude for buying drugs. Is the guy guilty of buying drugs? No, because there were no drugs. Is he guilty of conspiracy to buy drugs, perhaps if there is such a law for that?

Likewise, if a dude propositions a adult cop posing as a child over the internet, the dude isn't guilty of propositioning a child over the internet (in this instance) because there was no child involved. I agree that such a dude is the scum of the Earth and needs to be arrested for something. And since such people are arrested..... I assume there is such a law.

Both murder and attempted murder are illegal, but attempted murder is usually considered a lesser offense than murder.

You have a point and of course its illegal to solicit sex from a REAL minor. But someone posing as one? I've always had a problem with that. Because you can't go to jail for selling an undercover cop cooking flour that HE thinks is cocaine. So if it's not real drugs and so no charges can be filed, how come charges for crimes against children can be brought up when no actual children were targeted or harmed?
A dude can also be arrested for having sex with a minor who was posing as a adult and passing as an adult. She might even be at a bar using a fake ID.

A reminder, if you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you by a court of law.

You’re shitting me right.?? The intent is the crime. Dozens of guys get busted every week in that same scenario What are you , some sort of pedophile advocate. Or are you just on some idiotic free speech crusade

Forum List

Back