Why everyone on the internet is an asshole.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time on internet message boards, chatrooms, or comment sections has, at some point:

1. Had their political views compared to that of Hitler’s.
  2. Had their sexual orientation, sexual experience or sexual prowess challenged or ridiculed.
  3. Suffered from threats of physical violence, both against themselves and their mothers.
  4. Had sarcastic cat pictures posted to make fun of them.
The internet has a way of bringing out the worst in people. You may think that the internet simply allows people to say what they were already thinking anyway. But I disagree. It goes further than that. It’s not that people were already thinking these things but never had the courage to say them in person.

There’s something about the internet that warps our perceptions of one another.

Case in point: in many cases, problems and disagreements that arise on the internet magically disappear in person.

Why People Are Such Assholes on the Internet

Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time on internet message boards, chatrooms, or comment sections has, at some point:

2. Had their sexual orientation, sexual experience or sexual prowess challenged or ridiculed.
  3. Suffered from threats of physical violence, both against themselves and their mothers.
The internet has a way of bringing out the worst in people. You may think that the internet simply allows people to say what they were already thinking anyway. But I disagree. It goes further than that. It’s not that people were already thinking these things but never had the courage to say them in person.

Case in point: in many cases, problems and disagreements that arise on the internet magically disappear in person.

. There is good out there, it just depends on what your into or what your looking for.

• Banned

. There is good out there, it just depends on what your into or what your looking for.

A lot of good posters on the forums.

Just a few bad apples intent on poisoning the atmosphere.

I'm not talking to a person

and actually, I'm not talking

So this is not a personal conversation.

Trust me, I live an online experience in real life. The bad apples are not few. When people think you aren't real in real life, it's horrific.

I admit to being a right prick at times. The last time I actually swore at someone in real life was a long time ago. I do think that it reflects badly on one's character. But yes; I am somewhat "prickish" to those who are really anonymous pixels and who present themselves as "badass". Something about getting up with fleas. lol

But I try and be good humoured about it and not a miserable asshole.

Greg

. Yep the same as these cats running around highjacking sporting events and such who are intent on poisoning those atmospheres or anything connected to them as well. It's kind of strange though, because you would think that if you wanted to make a statement of any kind, then the last thing you would want to make it with is through your job or in the burning down your own towns and neighborhood's. :cuckoo:

I like being an asshole on the internet, because in real life I can't. I have to hide my true feelings and be nice to everyone.

why not try being a human being....both on & off line

It just isn't as much fun!!! I like my expanded identity. Not that I'm an asshole ALL the time. Just when it suits me.

Greg
must be nice having a detachable asshole, only ever need to take it out of the box when it's time to go number 2.

Without an asshole you'd die of toxic accumulations; bloat up and die after a few days of agony. Assholes are damn useful when they function correctly.

Greg

The fact is that some people feel safe on the internet. They think "I can insult people and nobody can do anything against me".
In real life many "internet bullies" are weak and scared about everything.
Lack of respect is so negative :(

The fact is that some people feel safe on the internet. They think "I can insult people and nobody can do anything against me".
In real life many "internet bullies" are weak and scared about everything.
Lack of respect is so negative :(

A lot of them are locker room louts. And they complain about Donald Trump.

I fail to see a philosophical point in this rant, Mindful .

Hope you are doing ok though and not too overly sensitive.

Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin.

I fail to see a philosophical point in this rant, Mindful .

Hope you are doing ok though and not too overly sensitive.

Maybe you just need to grow a thicker skin.

Typical American phoney psychology.

Forum List

Back