Why don't we ban alcoholic beverages instead of making it illegal to drive drunk?

First we must come to the conclusion that making something illegal does not eliminate that crime. Writing a law is not creating a panacea.

But laws are effective in reducing crimes. Enforcement of those laws is what makes them effective.

You mean like our recreational narcotics laws in this country?

While no law would have prevented this particular attack, there are some steps that could have made this particular attack less deadly and vast in its circumstance.

Gun technology has developed weapons providing a greater rate of fire. Is there a need among the citizens for such a deadly rate of fire? Could the technology have been responsibly checked?. Yes.

And there is something that could be done.

If you seek to blame President Obama for bump stocks, go ahead. That blame only serves to provide cheap political points and, as President Obama is no longer in office, what possible difference could that make today?

Bump stocks were approved during his administration. One can "blame" him or not.....Lots of people love the blame game.

We seem to fundamentally disagree on gun control. The current laws seemingly are doing fine with the 300+ million guns in America.

I've seen many advocate for the government confiscation of all guns. People like Matt Damon, who makes millions of dollars from glorifying gun violence has said that all guns should be banned.

if that is accomplished, only criminals and the government will have guns...not law abiding citizens. I simply disagree with that. it's how Hitler was able to commit genocide.
I don't think any marginally sane person can say LV or Sandy Hook demonstrated "current laws are doing fine."

Now what could/should be changed is a point that could be debated.

I guess I am insane.

Sandy hook was a mental heath issue and a mother who handled her mentally ill child the exact wrong way.

Again, if there are no laws being proposed that would prevent these types of shootings, it's fucking stupid as shit to propose legislation that has nothing to do with the incidents.

I don't think any marginally sane person can say that the laws being proposed would have prevented those 2 incidents.

Like I already said, my 13 year old son can't go into a sporting goods store and buy a fully automatic M-60 machine gun.....because we have GUN LAWS.

You are irrational to call these instances purely mental health issues.
Correct. The mentally frazzled would find some means of turning their disturbances into violent actions. But without the means of rapid firing guns, their violent actions could be less impactful in terms of body counts.

You mean like the OKC bombing or 911?

Maybe Progs can start by going door to door and confiscating every firearm in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago.

The MURDER RATE PER 100K IN ENGLEWOOD is 172.

The national rate is about 3.

Englewood = 172
USA = 3

Progs are racist as hell to not have addressed this.

Obama let thousands of blacks die just for political expediency.

Gun ownership is up 50% while gun murders were down 50%.

PROGS JUST FUCKING HATE FACTS

guns_per_person_vs._gun_homicide_rate_1993_to_2013_0.jpg
Gun murders are down even though people have more guns......but don't expect the lefties to pay attention to the facts.

The Dimwit left will use anything and everything they can get away with to tear down the 2nd Amendment.....they are anti-Constitutional and anti-American....we need to make them into a permanently irrelevant party.

Incorrect. You fuckers don't have the ability not the desire to understand the issue.

Enlighten us......in 25 words or less.....

Drunk driving kills roughly 30 people EVERY SINGLE DAY IN AMERICA.

Alcohol is legal to consume with certain age and location limitations.

Drunk Driving is illegal....yet it happens...and people die.

We should ban all alcohol to make sure we never have any more drunk driving fatalities.

It's the only way to be sure and save 10,000 lives per year in America.
Like most gun lovers you're looking at laws as a perfect solution while knowing perfection does not exist. Your paradigm of drunk driving is, of course, a specious argument.

By extension, you seem to say that as laws are not a panacea, no laws should be enacted. But do you deny that the incidence of,drunk driving laws have not been effective?

Could that be said of gun laws?

I never claimed there should be no gun laws. Can you please cite the specific quote so we can start with some common ground?

I'm claiming guns should not be BANNED as so many seemingly want to do.

Bump stocks were approved by the ATF DURING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION.

We already have MANY gun laws. My 13 year old son can't go to CABELAS and buy a fully automatic M-60, so there are laws.

The need to just "DO SOMETHING" even if it would not have prevented THIS ATTACK is what concerns me.
While no law would have prevented this particular attack, there are some steps that could have made this particular attack less deadly and vast in its circumstance.

Gun technology has developed weapons providing a greater rate of fire. Is there a need among the citizens for such a deadly rate of fire? Could the technology have been responsibly checked?. Yes.

And there is something that could be done.

If you seek to blame President Obama for bump stocks, go ahead. That blame only serves to provide cheap political points and, as President Obama is no longer in office, what possible difference could that make today?
While no law would have prevented this particular attack

Assumes facts not in evidence

Would someone go to a lot of trouble if he didn't have the firepower provided by large magazines and bump stocks?

It appears to me like Paddock was going for a Guinness record.
I went on to say that there may be laws that could have limited the body count in this particular attack.

Name one!

We should ban all alcohol to make sure we never have any more drunk driving fatalities.

I have a better idea.

Ban cars.

Then there won't be any drunk driving either. Even better, there won't be any trucks of peace!
might as well end life.

Gun murders are down even though people have more guns......but don't expect the lefties to pay attention to the facts.

The Dimwit left will use anything and everything they can get away with to tear down the 2nd Amendment.....they are anti-Constitutional and anti-American....we need to make them into a permanently irrelevant party.

Incorrect. You fuckers don't have the ability not the desire to understand the issue.

Nope. Been done many times. You don't have a desire to learn.

Progs won't address this because they don't want to deal with it. They just want to vilify Whites for all the evils in the USA.

Obama allowed thousands of blacks to die for political reasons.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-29/race-and-homicide-in-america-by-the-numbers

The GUN murder rate per 100,000 blacks in the USA is 20.

The rate for everyone else is 3.

Among the roughly 6,000 cases in which the race of the victim and the offender were known, the number of blacks killed by blacks rose to 2,380 last year, an increase of about 8 percent from 2014.

89.3% of all blacks murdered by guns were murdered by another black.

There should be NO laws against selling booze to drunk people. It's an affront to our freedoms. And NO BANS on booze that will make you go blind. It's a free market world out there, and we have a RIGHT AGOD GIVEN RIGHT to do what we want!

And we should have laws requiring daily exercise and an immediate ban on the sale of beef. Also a ban on motorcycles and the sale of parachutes. People must NOT be allowed to do stupid things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Been done many times. You don't have a desire to learn.

And you have no desire to state your position......so shut the fuck up.....

Pointless comparing drunk drivers and guns. Might has well compare the life span of the Peruvian gnat with the sex life of redwoods. Totally different subjects.

There should be NO laws against selling booze to drunk people. It's an affront to our freedoms. And NO BANS on booze that will make you go blind. It's a free market world out there, and we have a RIGHT AGOD GIVEN RIGHT to do what we want!

And we should have laws requiring daily exercise and an immediate ban on the sale of beef. Also a ban on motorcycles and the sale of parachutes. People must NOT be allowed to do stupid things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well we do have motorcycle laws. And your use of food and exercise only affect my financial rights in terms of your consuming, or not consuming, healthcare. Hopefully we give that a pass. (and no I'm not a fan of the individual mandate in Obamacare)

It's a simple fact that DUI laws have reduced the rate of fatalities caused by drunk drivers.

Just as gun laws have reduced the rate of firearm homicides.

I guess you don't remember the disaster that was prohibition. How many people were killed by machine gun fire then?? You know what they say about repeating history? Cheers, it happy hour here.

WC Fields once said. "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they get up in the morning, that's as good as it gets"

you mean a 'fully automatic assault weapon' like a car....? :rolleyes:

Yeah. I'm sure when Henry Ford set up his production line he thought "How many people can I kill with one of these?" Unlike Kalashnikov who thought "I wonder how many pine cones I can shoot off pine trees in the Siberian wilderness with this little beauty."

Well, the similarity may be is that neither issue has an absolute right or wrong answer.

Naw, I disagree. I think drunk driving speaks for itself. I think the lack of necessity to have a fully automatic assault weapon also speaks for itself.
Well you can't legally have either. Or at least I didn't think you could. I vaguely recall from my gun show days that there was this device you could buy that caused a semi-automatic firearm to cycle sort of like a submachine gun, but I honestly had no idea they were still around. Hopefully they'll be made illegal to own or buy with Yuuge fines for selling.

But there is really no way legally (or ethically imo) to ban driving and guns. Or abortion for that matter, but there we might be able to end the very worst of it by making it very easy to terminate very early, and making kids' lives better.

Forum List

Back