Why Does The Media Always Say......."people Gave Up Looking For Work"

But what evidence do they have that people stopped looking?

As I stated earlier, the Bureau of Labor Statistics does a monthly survey.

And people put........Gave up?
Census does the survey for BLS. What is referred to as "gave up" are those who answer that they want a job, could have started a job the week before the survey, looked for work in the last 12 months but not the last 4 weeks and stopped looking because they believed they would find no work due to lack of jobs or lack of skills or education or discrimination. The official term is "Discouraged" and it's at about 775,000 as of August.

Some, who want to make things look as bad as possible, use it to mean those who stopped looking for personal reasons or those who no longer want or need a job.

Census does the survey for BLS. What is referred to as "gave up" are those who answer that they want a job, could have started a job the week before the survey, looked for work in the last 12 months but not the last 4 weeks and stopped looking because they believed they would find no work due to lack of jobs or lack of skills or education or discrimination. The official term is "Discouraged" and it's at about 775,000 as of August.

Some, who want to make things look as bad as possible, use it to mean those who stopped looking for personal reasons or those who no longer want or need a job.

775,000 losers

Apparently so, it is an option in the survey.
The actual question and answers are:
What is the main reason (you/he/she) (was/were) not looking for work during the LAST 4 WEEKS?

1 Believes no work available in line of work or area
2 Couldn't find any work
3 Lacks necessary schooling, training, skills or experience
4 Employers think too young or too old
5 Other types of discrimination

6 Can't arrange child care
7 Family responsibilities
8 In school or other training
9 Ill health, physical disability
10 Transportation problems
11 Other

The bolded ones would be called "giving up" in the media.

Here's the breakdown of Not in the Labor Force:
Does not want a job
Wants a job
Did not look for work in last 12 months
looked for work in last 12 months but not last 4 weeks
Not available for work
Available (Marginally Attached to the labor force)
Discouraged reasons (first five answers)
Other reasons (the rest of the list)

senior citizens that lost their jobs and can't find work, end up collecting their retirement, women that have their husband's income give up looking and decide to be stay at home moms or housewives which is what I did when I first stopped working....
And then there is welfare, where the state enables women to build a career out of popping out babies. The more runts she shoots out, the more she is paid.

Fucking backwards IMHO... If you can't afford a brat, don't have one.

As to their desire to eat...

food-2.jpg
wow a real eye opener

Any one, and I mean just about ANY one, can hop in their car and head for North Dakota where in that state alone there are over 25,000 job openings. Live in your car until you get a few paychecks and it's the gravy train from there on... Same with Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oklahoma... the common denominator? Hydraulic fracturing for oil and gas deposits. These industries have been an economic godsend for this country. So why for the love of Jeebus are Liberals hell-bent on stopping Fracking, and why is Obama proposing over $40 billion in new taxes on these industries? Because they are all.... Liberals. :slap:

Nationwide there are over 4 million job openings.

I realize this is all easier said than done, most jobs require skills and experience, etc. And yes there are many other factors at play.

But my point is... Obama has disincentivized the work ethic in this country. And to make matters worse, he is force-importing tens of thousands of foreigners who add to the burgeoning welfare roles.

We are so fucked.

Any one, and I mean just about ANY one, can hop in their car and head for North Dakota where in that state alone there are over 25,000 job openings. Live in your car until you get a few paychecks and it's the gravy train from there on... Same with Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oklahoma..

that is where the prezbo should have gone

to make his labor day speech

Any one, and I mean just about ANY one, can hop in their car and head for North Dakota where in that state alone there are over 25,000 job openings. Live in your car until you get a few paychecks and it's the gravy train from there on... Same with Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oklahoma... the common denominator? Hydraulic fracturing for oil and gas deposits. These industries have been an economic godsend for this country. So why for the love of Jeebus are Liberals hell-bent on stopping Fracking, and why is Obama proposing over $40 billion in new taxes on these industries? Because they are all.... Liberals. :slap:

Nationwide there are over 4 million job openings.

I realize this is all easier said than done, most jobs require skills and experience, etc. And yes there are many other factors at play.

But my point is... Obama has disincentivized the work ethic in this country. And to make matters worse, he is force-importing tens of thousands of foreigners who add to the burgeoning welfare roles.

We are so fucked.

Any one, and I mean just about ANY one, can hop in their car and head for North Dakota where in that state alone there are over 25,000 job openings. Live in your car until you get a few paychecks and it's the gravy train from there on... Same with Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oklahoma..

that is where the prezbo should have gone

to make his labor day speech
Yet, unfortunately, jobs borne of hydrocarbons are not jobs recognized.

Too dirty. Icky filthy hydrocarbons.

Still... got a toothbrush?

Got hydrocarbons.

Got a dido?

Hydrocarbons.

Got a Band-Aid?

Hydrocarbaons.

Got shit?

You've excreted... hydrocarbons.

Fuck you insane clown posse mother fuckers.

senior citizens that lost their jobs and can't find work, end up collecting their retirement, women that have their husband's income give up looking and decide to be stay at home moms or housewives which is what I did when I first stopped working....
And then there is welfare, where the state enables women to build a career out of popping out babies. The more runts she shoots out, the more she is paid.

welfare requires work....or trying to find a job etc....so I don't believe those on welfare are counted as those who have given up on looking for a job...

I was hoping you would show up. You do a much better job of explaining and yes, I was pretty sure someone other than BLS was doing the actual survey.

775,000 losers

Does attaching a label to people make you feel better about your situation? 775,000 people is a big number and I'm sure there are a fair number of "losers", but there are also a fair number who will reenter the work force.

The Labor Force Participation rate of seniors has increased because many cannot afford to retire.

A big part of the declining LFPR problem is young people who have never had a job and can't find one...as well as prime working age men who have given up.

prime working age men can't give up if they live alone

Sure they can. They can live on the street, move in with family or friends. It is also a practice of some to rent a house for one month and then squat there for up to a year or more before court proceedings remove them.

Any grown man who gives up looking for work to move back home with family is a certified loser

That wasn't the point raised by you originally. Yes, they have serious issues to be sure.

The Labor Force Participation Rate, bub.

It is a function of people needing to hold onto their jobs longer before retirement. This means fewer jobs available for new hires, which are typically younger.

It is a function of people needing to hold onto their jobs longer before retirement. This means fewer jobs available for new hires, which are typically younger.

Yes it does. We can give ZIRP partial credit for this. After seeing investments pounded during the financial crisis, those on the brink of retirement are earning virtually no interest income. Some are taking a risk in the stock market, and others continue to work...and others do both.

welfare requires work....or trying to find a job etc....so I don't believe those on welfare are counted as those who have given up on looking for a job...

Depends on the state, then. I know women whose sole sustenance has been welfare for over 20 years.

What are they going to do for money when their kids are grown and they're too broken down to flip burgers? Probably lay up on their adult children, shifting the burden.

After several thousand resumes and applications I still hold out hope for a job,,but i also have plans on starting a new business...A pizza joint in town, all I need to do is gather 70k...I am going to open next spring..........
Now how about some more disturbing hate from the still working class on how I am a parasite...

After several thousand resumes and applications I still hold out hope for a job,,but i also have plans on starting a new business...A pizza joint in town, all I need to do is gather 70k...I am going to open next spring..........
Now how about some more disturbing hate from the still working class on how I am a parasite...

That explains a lot actually, Top Poster of the Month. ;)

Gotta do something when you can't walk...more than 100 yards...

Gotta do something when you can't walk...more than 100 yards...
Must have been quite the challenge submitting thousands of resumes and applications 100 yards at a time. :eek:

Forum List

Back