Why Does The Media Always Say......."people Gave Up Looking For Work"

But what evidence do they have that people stopped looking?

As I stated earlier, the Bureau of Labor Statistics does a monthly survey.

And people put........Gave up?
Census does the survey for BLS. What is referred to as "gave up" are those who answer that they want a job, could have started a job the week before the survey, looked for work in the last 12 months but not the last 4 weeks and stopped looking because they believed they would find no work due to lack of jobs or lack of skills or education or discrimination. The official term is "Discouraged" and it's at about 775,000 as of August.

Some, who want to make things look as bad as possible, use it to mean those who stopped looking for personal reasons or those who no longer want or need a job.

775,000 losers

Does attaching a label to people make you feel better about your situation? 775,000 people is a big number and I'm sure there are a fair number of "losers", but there are also a fair number who will reenter the work force.

Anyone who gives up looking for work is a loser, the end

What is sad with many Americans is the idea that working for yourself is dying. Most self employed these days are minorities that have moved to the US.....Being self employed is no pick nick, but neither is being a corporate tool...

senior citizens that lost their jobs and can't find work, end up collecting their retirement, women that have their husband's income give up looking and decide to be stay at home moms or housewives which is what I did when I first stopped working....

The Labor Force Participation rate of seniors has increased because many cannot afford to retire.

A big part of the declining LFPR problem is young people who have never had a job and can't find one...as well as prime working age men who have given up.

prime working age men can't give up if they live alone

Sure they can. They can live on the street, move in with family or friends. It is also a practice of some to rent a house for one month and then squat there for up to a year or more before court proceedings remove them.

Any grown man who gives up looking for work to move back home with family is a certified loser

That wasn't the point raised by you originally. Yes, they have serious issues to be sure.

But what evidence do they have that people stopped looking?

The Labor Force Participation Rate, bub.
The participation rate can't tell us how many people quit lookin.

senior citizens that lost their jobs and can't find work, end up collecting their retirement, women that have their husband's income give up looking and decide to be stay at home moms or housewives which is what I did when I first stopped working....

Well that makes more sense, a single person under 40 can't give up looking for work

Certainly can...cook up a fake disability and go on SSDI.

Well that makes more sense, a single person under 40 can't give up looking for work

Certainly can...cook up a fake disability and go on SSDI.

Only losers do that

Forum List

Back