Zone1 Why does the left care that Trump can go back on twitter?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
There are many left wing democrats that I personally do not like. However, I do not wish them physical harm, I don't want them silenced from social media......I am a First Amendment absolutist. Why is it that the left wing of our political system wants certain people banned from access to all forms of social media?

There are many left wing democrats that I personally do not like. However, I do not wish them physical harm, I don't want them silenced from social media......I am a First Amendment absolutist. Why is it that the left wing of our political system wants certain people banned from access to all forms of social media?
They will tell you its because he incited a riot, using Twitter. If you ask them to post the thing that incited the riot, usually they will ignore you and pretend like they never saw the question, but there are a few retards will actually claim that Trumps posts about not believing the elections were fair are "inciting a riot".

"Incitement" is a VERY specific thing. Trump would have literally had to say "go attack the Capitol building and beat up cops" in order for him to be charged with incitement.

He speaks too honestly and exposes what MSM will not speak about. This is fearful to people who would rather lie to themselves and others than be honest and affect change. Canada operates in a similar manner which is why we don't innovate or produce global leaders.

The other aspect is of course, the fear that Trump will rally voters and ensure he is successful in 2024.

As it were, I don't think Trump needs to return to Twitter if he is focused on Truths growth. His 2024 run will probably double users on Truth and that might be a conservative estimate depending on how many use his app now. Why would he go back when he can support free speech (which some of us still don't have on twitter thanks to the Creepy Ones) and get his message out just the same?

If I were him I would probably use a parallel approach, tweet from both sites while making sure to advertise his handle on Truth while on Twitter to promote movement there, that's just me.

Because they are assholes.....It's true.....I mean why would anyone care what someone with a opposing point of view has to say to the point they would try to cancel them? Only a asshole would do that.

Most sane folks would just just scroll on by the "offending" comment, or if they cared enough, leave a opposing comment and be done with it.

No, the problem is the left does not like "the great unwashed" being able to play in what was formerly "their" sandbox.

Meh, they can go and make "the book of faces" great again.....I hear they are still all in with the canceling. ;)

He speaks too honestly...
My goodness. One of those posts I wish I hadn't have seen. Incredible.

That said, banning people and things is nothing more than a band aid. It not only doesn't work, but it can backfire. We have to look at the bigger picture, but it appears we have lost the ability to do that.

Let me unpack certain things here.

In my view "free speech absolutists" are insane, liars, or haven't thought the implications of that position through all the way.

A society can not function without limits on speech. The reason for it is that speech can and does have consequences on the world around you. There's the classic yelling fire in a crowded place, but also the more practical applications like for instance lying in a court of law. There are many more instances when certain speech is dangerous, illegal or both.

In order to function society limits certain speech. The issue is how far a society is willing to limit speech in function of the potential harm that speech does.

Trump being allowed on twitter though is not even that question. Twitter is a private company as such they have the final say on who is allowed on their platform. If Musk wants to allow him on twitter, that's his right. At 44 billion that perogative is his. Not allowing him on Twitter though isn't a First Amendment issue in my book since Twitter isn't the state and the first amendment only deals with the government limiting speech.

In my experience the whole issue of " the left is attacking my right to free speech" most of the time boils down to the argument that the left is objecting to what I have to say. Which is as much free speech as someone on the right saying something I find offensive.

I'm personally not easy to offend. And even if I am I consider that a "me problem". Everybody in my opinion has a right to say almost anything. The only thing I ask is that you are prepared to face the consequences of saying it.

I think Twitter was an excellent medium for Trump

It allowed the public to see his bizarre rants and childish behavior

Last edited:
Now that he's not president anymore it's not that big of a deal. Now he is only an embarrassment to himself.

Let me unpack certain things here.

In my view "free speech absolutists" are insane, liars, or haven't thought the implications of that position through all the way.

A society can not function without limits on speech. The reason for it is that speech can and does have consequences on the world around you. There's the classic yelling fire in a crowded place, but also the more practical applications like for instance lying in a court of law. There are many more instances when certain speech is dangerous, illegal or both.

In order to function society limits certain speech. The issue is how far a society is willing to limit speech in function of the potential harm that speech does.

Trump being allowed on twitter though is not even that question. Twitter is a private company as such they have the final say on who is allowed on their platform. If Musk wants to allow him on twitter, that's his right. At 44 billion that perogative is his. Not allowing him on Twitter though isn't a First Amendment issue in my book since Twitter isn't the state and the first amendment only deals with the government limiting speech.

In my experience the whole issue of " the left is attacking my right to free speech" most of the time boils down to the argument that the left is objecting to what I have to say. Which is as much free speech as someone on the right saying something I find offensive.

I'm personally not easy to offend. And even if I am I consider that a "me problem". Everybody in my opinion has a right to say almost anything. The only thing I ask is that you are prepared to face the consequences of saying it.
When the government is working together with Twitter to prevent certain views from being expressed it IS a first amendment issue.

I think Twitter was a; excellent medium for Trump

It allowed the public to see his bizarre rants and childish behavior
Yep. That's the key benefit of freedom of expression: Let people show us who they are, so we know.

If we STILL accept and follow people like that, then that tells us something about ourselves that we need to examine.

You don't get the 1st Amendment here on USMB, yet I never hear you badmouth this place.

Unfortunately, the Founding Fathers obviously had NO CONCEPT of the self-righteous, ego-maniacally driven criminals that would abuse their documents for personal gain and personal power.

They also had no idea that being VAGUE in such an important document would LEAD people to define it under their own personal terms, NOT anything that the FF's had in mind. A document of such importance (the Constitution) should have been defined to the last detail, so ALL people would know what all parts of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights mean, absolutely, and with no questions. But thats not what the FF's did. And the criminals took advantage.

You can be an "absolutist", but it still doesn't change the fact that too much of the most important documents there have ever been in this country, aren't specified to the point where there are NO questions about what the meaning is.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as Trump on social media goes.......he has his own social media site, which is ran VERY BADLY. To this day, ONLY people with iPhones can use it. And even then, most of those people cannot register because of the "bugs" in the system, which the admins don't seem to care about.

He can get back on Twitter and rip the Leftoid Loonies a new one right and left, but it doesn't alter the facts that he's not in office continuing to drain the Swamp.

They don't like Trump and want him silenced, because he tells the TRUTH about whats going on in the government. About what they plan to do and are doing to destroy this country. He promised transparency when he ran for office, and he's kept that promise so far.

The corrupt politicians of all parties have their necks on the line with Trump. The Dems are tired of him "outing" everything they do and getting in their way. The Reps are scared of him, because they don't want to get on his "radar" and get put on his "hit list".

Trump isn't a politician, even though he's served in office. He's an outside entity that believes this country should be FREE of criminal elements in government. He also believes in BASIC government, NOT totalitarian government. This is why they want him silenced.

And...............if Trump were anyone else besides an all American businessman with a huge corporate dominance behind him, Hitlery would have had him "suicided" a LONG, LONG time ago. I mean, look at what the Dems did to one of thier own......Andrew Yang. He is old school Dem, which they despise. They threatened and harassed his entire family so he'd drop out of the presidential race, and then did the same when he ran for mayor of New York, because he wanted to actually HELP people, not use them as his own personal ATM, as all these current Dems have been doing for generations. If Yang had the money and force behind him that Trump does, he'd more than likely been a heavy contender in the presidential race.

There is a huge difference between "freedom of expression" and just being a self-righteous asshole, abusing the founding documents for your own personal panderings and to hurt others.

Can you give some examples of this caring so people will know what you are talking about?

When the government is working together with Twitter to prevent certain views from being expressed it IS a first amendment issue.
Unless you realize that the first Amendment is only for the government to not abuse, a private company has limitations due to liability issues.

Sure. Do you have evidence this happened, or are you speaking hypothetically? If the former I would appreciate you sourcing that claim.

Can you give some examples of this caring so people will know what you are talking about?

For a start....

Celebrities wailed and raged on Saturday night when billionaire Elon Musk announced that former president Donald Trump’s Twitter account would be unsuspended as a result of user feedback.

“The people have spoken. Trump will be reinstated. Vox Populi, Vox Dei,” Musk announced.

Musk decided to reinstate the former president’s account after putting out a Twitter poll that came down to the wire – 51.8 percent “Yes” versus 48.2 percent “No.”
Trump had been frozen out of his Twitter account since January 2021 in the wake of the Capitol Hill riot on January 6.

Though leftists all across the platform erupted in a flaming circle of outrage in response to Musk’s announcement, Trump’s usual celebrity haters, from Rosemary’s Baby actress Mia Farrow to Misery director Rob Reiner to House of Cards star Michael Kelly, were having a particularly bad night.

For a community that depends on freedom of speech, they sure don't like others having freedom of speech.

Here.....

How about a sitting member of Congress...........

Horrified left-wingers stormed Twitter and demanded their followers vote "no" to keep Trump off the website.

"Idk man, last time he was here this platform was used to incite an insurrection, multiple people died, the Vice President of the United States was nearly assassinated, and hundreds were injured but I guess that’s not enough for you to answer the question. Twitter poll it is," Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., tweeted.

"The bipartisan @January6thCmte has extensively covered how Trump’s use of Twitter played a critical role in the violence of that day. Review their extensive work & ask yourself why a billionaire is toying w/ bringing back the person responsible for this," she added, sharing video from the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Forum List

Back