Why does the Bible have authority?

I would like to ask you a Simple question, maybe you've heard it before. The Bible is the primary source of Christian knowledge, some Christians take it literally, others don't, some pick and choose.
But what gives it its authority?
It seems to me that the authority of the Bible is given by itself, which makes no sense to me. It says it's the word of God, therefore it is? I don't understand how it is given more weight than other religious texts from other religions.
Does Bible have a weight in our life?
Bible%20Love.jpg

It is the easiest of things to change a book, add and substract from it, in the course of 2000 years; specially a book about God. With such a popular religion like Islam (maybe 5 times as much Muslims as Americans) one has to re-consider the authenticity of the Bible.

Founders of this country ran from religion and based our Constitution on classical Greek and Roman societies during a time when we were struggling and had a war with Great Britain, a country same as all other states in Europe that was based and run by the church and religious teachings. We ran from that shit like a monkey on fire.
Incorrect. They did not run away from religion. They ran away from religious tyranny. You do appreciate the difference, right?

They ran away from government that exerted control over and persecuted them for their religious belief.

Founders of this country ran from religion and based our Constitution on classical Greek and Roman societies during a time when we were struggling and had a war with Great Britain, a country same as all other states in Europe that was based and run by the church and religious teachings. We ran from that shit like a monkey on fire.
Incorrect. They did not run away from religion. They ran away from religious tyranny. You do appreciate the difference, right?

And now people like you are trying to impose religious tyranny on this nation.
That's your opinion. What I see is people of faith wanting the government to leave them in peace, so that they can worship God as they see fit. If you see that as religious tyranny, then there is something wrong with you.

BZZZT Wrong!

What you are doing in Indiana and Arkansas is trying give Christians "special rights" that put them "above the law". Too bad that is unconstitutional and you are going to lose.

Government has no right and no authority to force anyone, business owners or private persons, to endorse sacrilege.

So fuck off, statist puke.

"did not object that the 13 colonies were based on God"
HAHAHAHA, "based on God"
Shooting fish in a barrel. This is easier than at Vandy '76.

dear, you clean forgot to say what you think the 13 colonies were based on? I wonder why??

"The government of The United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" John Adams.
The power of government is derived not from any God, but from the people.
The United States Constitution makes no reference to a God or Christianity. The ONLY reference to religion in the United States Constitution is a negative one: "NO religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." For all you grade school scholars here John Jay, Alexander Hamilton and James Madison were the brains providing the intellectual foundation of our Constitution. I suggest you folks read The Federalist Papers where Madison writes about preventing rule by majority factions, Hamilton writes about the need to end of divine right where God dictates who has the power in favor of a one man chief executive and Jay writing about dangers from foreign forces as Jay had worked tirelessly to suppress the religious loyalists still supporting the Crown rule of divine right.
It is all there sports fans if you want to go read it. We are a nation OF LAWS, not men and their various and changing like the wind religious beliefs.
As a 60 year old southern Christian that does not take for granted my freedom of religion I want to keep it that way. Majority rule is mob rule and our Founders understood that and left the individual to have or have not a relationship with any God of any religion.

The Serving Stencils

For our modern world fascinated by the profit hidden in design, the Bible represents a logistical way to counter style with communication.

If the Internet hacker is the new age terrorist, then the Biblical rapture could be connected to consumerism propaganda.

Who would win such a 'Wording War?'

:afro:

Lockheed SR-71 Sheet

cheeseburglar.jpg

satanism.jpg

sr71.jpg

"The government of The United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" John Adams.
The United States Constitution makes no reference to a God or Christianity. The ONLY reference to religion in the United States Constitution is a negative one: "NO religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." For all you grade school scholars here John Jay, Alexander Hamilton and James Madison were the brains providing the intellectual foundation of our Constitution. I suggest you folks read The Federalist Papers where Madison writes about preventing rule by majority factions, Hamilton writes about the need to end of divine right where God dictates who has the power in favor of a one man chief executive and Jay writing about dangers from foreign forces as Jay had worked tirelessly to suppress the religious loyalists still supporting the Crown rule of divine right.
It is all there sports fans if you want to go read it. We are a nation OF LAWS, not men and their various and changing like the wind religious beliefs.
As a 60 year old southern Christian that does not take for granted my freedom of religion I want to keep it that way. Majority rule is mob rule and our Founders understood that and left the individual to have or have not a relationship with any God of any religion.
" Article VII reads, "done in Convention … the Seventeenth Day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America."

"Biblical quotations comprise 34 percent of all the source material offered by the founders!"
Just where does the Constitution mention God - Times Record News

" Article VII reads, "done in Convention … the Seventeenth Day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America."

"Biblical quotations comprise 34 percent of all the source material offered by the founders!"

Article VII of the United States Constitution "The ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the same." That is the entire text.

You are a dumb ass. You do not even know what is written in The United States Constitution. Even worse you offer fraud, bastardize the Constitution to fit your narrow mind. That is how far your religious ignorance has taken you, you lie.
You and your merry band of ignorant followers are exactly why The Founders rejected ALL references to religion in The United States Constitution.
You religious kooks will go to any lengths to shove your ignorance and pack of lies down throats.

Article VII of the United States Constitution "The ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the same." That is the entire text.

You are a dumb ass. You do not even know what is written in The United States Constitution. Even worse you offer fraud, bastardize the Constitution to fit your narrow mind. That is how far your religious ignorance has taken you, you lie.
You and your merry band of ignorant followers are exactly why The Founders rejected ALL references to religion in The United States Constitution.
You religious kooks will go to any lengths to shove your ignorance and pack of lies down throats.

dear, religion created Western Civilization. What do you think 2015 is if not the birthday of Christ and civilization. Before Christ, Caesar and his liberal state were God on earth and people went to the Colosseum to watch people being eaten alive. Jesus challenged the power of the liberal state and thus civilization and individual liberty. The US was founded by 13 religious colonies. The Constitution was written by men who got their post Colosseum morality from Christ's religion. The Constitution did not mention God, marriage, family, or basic morality because they were givens and assumed in 13 religious colonies.

Last edited:

Shut up, you drunken retard. Shouldn't you be spying on the neighbor lady right now with your super duper awesome spy equipment?

dear, religion created Western Civilization. What do you think 2015 is if not the birthday of Christ and civilization. Before Christ, Caesar and his liberal state were God on earth and people went to the Colosseum to watch people being eaten alive. Jesus challenged the power of the liberal state and thus civilization and individual liberty. The US was founded by 13 religious colonies. The Constitution was written by men who got their post Colosseum morality from Christ's religion. The Constitution did not mention God, marriage, family, or basic morality because they were givens and assumed in 13 religious colonies.

No doubt religion played a large part in all the Colonies. People had to decide which side to support. Many of the religious colonists had generations of sermons at their churches that the Crown monarchy demanded loyalty to the Crown from all colonists, hence the term of loyalists or Torries for the hundreds of thousands of those that opposed the revolution. No doubt a fool would deny that happened as evidenced here by the Easter Bunny believers like you. It is not easy for many "George Washington cut down the cherry tree" uneducated dumb masses here to understand how those thousands who had lived in the colonies all their lives would be opposed to the Revolution but they were and most were through the churches. Anglican church. My relatives are Quaker and many opposed the war and many joined and fought against the tyranny of the Church of England, Anglicans, and their stanglehold of divine right in the colonies. Majority of Founders WERE Anglican and ran from the loyalists that dominated many of the churches of inner city north east. When the war began Quakers, Moravians, Mennonites and Dunkers (German Baptists) were often able to avoid military service, with a very steep avoidance tax 5 times the normal rate, and many Anglican churches in all 13 colonies raised funds to "convert" members to avoid military service. All common knowledge to the informed. Greensboro NC where Guilford College is has the tax records to this day. Same with all counties, townships and historical societies such as Salem NJ., all the records are there. I have seen them. "Pacifists" flocked to those religions from Anglican church to avoid military service and as loyalists opposed the revolution. After we won the revolutionary war 125,000+ loyalists left the new country and fled to Canada and England the "good" loyal Christians bowing to the Crown monarchy that they were.
Facts sure are a bitch to those raised on lies and George chopped down the cherry tree.

No doubt religion played a large part in all the Colonies. People had to decide which side to support. Many of the religious colonists had generations of sermons at their churches that the Crown monarchy demanded loyalty to the Crown from all colonists, hence the term of loyalists or Torries for the hundreds of thousands of those that opposed the revolution. No doubt a fool would deny that happened as evidenced here by the Easter Bunny believers like you. It is not easy for many "George Washington cut down the cherry tree" uneducated dumb masses here to understand how those thousands who had lived in the colonies all their lives would be opposed to the Revolution but they were and most were through the churches. Anglican church. My relatives are Quaker and many opposed the war and many joined and fought against the tyranny of the Church of England, Anglicans, and their stanglehold of divine right in the colonies. Majority of Founders WERE Anglican and ran from the loyalists that dominated many of the churches of inner city north east. When the war began Quakers, Moravians, Mennonites and Dunkers (German Baptists) were often able to avoid military service, with a very steep avoidance tax 5 times the normal rate, and many Anglican churches in all 13 colonies raised funds to "convert" members to avoid military service. All common knowledge to the informed. Greensboro NC where Guilford College is has the tax records to this day. Same with all counties, townships and historical societies such as Salem NJ., all the records are there. I have seen them. "Pacifists" flocked to those religions from Anglican church to avoid military service and as loyalists opposed the revolution. After we won the revolutionary war 125,000+ loyalists left the new country and fled to Canada and England the "good" loyal Christians bowing to the Crown monarchy that they were.
Facts sure are a bitch to those raised on lies and George chopped down the cherry tree.

:alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic::alcoholic:

Government has no right and no authority to force anyone, business owners or private persons, to endorse sacrilege.

Jesus must be so proud to have you as one of his followers, KG!

The secular Constitution outlaws discrimination based upon religious beliefs.

PaintMyHouse must be so proud to have you as one of his followers.

The Constitution does not prohibit individuals and businesses from discriminating.

The Constitution does not prohibit individuals and businesses from discriminating.

Your ignorance is your problem.

Show us, Einstein.

Where does the Constitution prohibit businesses and individuals from discriminating?

Show us, Einstein.

Where does the Constitution prohibit businesses and individuals from discriminating?

14th amendment, everyone is equal under the law.

Discrimination is unequal treatment.

Discrimination was outlawed in the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Immigration Reform Act and the Genetic Information Discrimination Act. The SCOTUS ruling on same sex marriage will outlaw discrimination against gays.

Thanks for tacitly admitting to your appalling ignorance.

Show us, Einstein.

Discrimination was outlawed in the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Immigration Reform Act and the Genetic Information Discrimination Act. The SCOTUS ruling on same sex marriage will outlaw discrimination against gays.

You till haven't showed us, Poindexter. Where in the Constitution are businesses and individuals prohibited from discriminating?

Show us, Einstein.

You till haven't showed us, Poindexter. Where in the Constitution are businesses and individuals prohibited from discriminating?

Ask an adult to explain to you how the Constitution grants the Legislature the ability to pass the anti-discrimination laws that I mentioned above.

Forum List

Back