Why does anyone need a high-capacity magazine?

By Mark Almonte
03/04/2013

This article focuses on pistols with high-capacity magazines (a magazine that holds more than ten bullets). The same arguments in my recent article on assault weapons could apply to high-capacity magazines for rifles.

There are several reasons for civilians to own high-capacity magazines: the right to possess the necessary means to effectively defend themselves, misconception of bullet stopping power and shooting accuracy, and the issue of multiple attackers. Additionally, on a net balance, there are benefits to the community when law-abiding citizens own guns with high-capacity magazines. William Levinson at American Thinker smartly posed the question, "Do you believe that all human beings have a natural and inherent right to defend themselves from violent attack?"

All of us would agree that in a civilized society, people have a right to self-defense. The next logical progression is that the right to self-defense implies a right to the necessary means to effectively defend oneself.

Jeffrey Snyder at the Cato Institute points out that victims don't choose where and when they will be attacked. It is the criminal who decides. The criminal will wait until the victim is most vunerable, until he is alone, or when the police are gone. He will try to have every advantage over the victim, whether it be an armed advantage, strength, or outnumbering his prey. Mr. Snyder states, "The encounter will not be on equal terms; the fight will not be 'fair.'"

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Articles: Why does anyone need a high-capacity magazine?

It's time to stop posting articles form dumb shits like this. When he allows the left to set the vocabulary in the discussion he has already surrendered. Pistols are made with a standard magazine that will allow X number of rounds within a comfortable grip. The average human hand determines what the number is. We have to get away from the vernacular of the left and their idiotic numbers game, period end of story.

It's not about protection, it's about how many Americans can be killed with one clip. They just wish it had a thousand rounds.

By Mark Almonte
03/04/2013

This article focuses on pistols with high-capacity magazines (a magazine that holds more than ten bullets). The same arguments in my recent article on assault weapons could apply to high-capacity magazines for rifles.

There are several reasons for civilians to own high-capacity magazines: the right to possess the necessary means to effectively defend themselves, misconception of bullet stopping power and shooting accuracy, and the issue of multiple attackers. Additionally, on a net balance, there are benefits to the community when law-abiding citizens own guns with high-capacity magazines. William Levinson at American Thinker smartly posed the question, "Do you believe that all human beings have a natural and inherent right to defend themselves from violent attack?"

All of us would agree that in a civilized society, people have a right to self-defense. The next logical progression is that the right to self-defense implies a right to the necessary means to effectively defend oneself.

Jeffrey Snyder at the Cato Institute points out that victims don't choose where and when they will be attacked. It is the criminal who decides. The criminal will wait until the victim is most vunerable, until he is alone, or when the police are gone. He will try to have every advantage over the victim, whether it be an armed advantage, strength, or outnumbering his prey. Mr. Snyder states, "The encounter will not be on equal terms; the fight will not be 'fair.'"

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Articles: Why does anyone need a high-capacity magazine?

Those who hope to be able to kill many human beings as quickly as possible; those who hope to hold off the US Army all by their lonesome; those who need a big and powerful weapon to compensate for a tiny and impotent penis.

So which reason is valid for law enforcement agents, who always carry high capacity magazines?

It's not about protection, it's about how many Americans can be killed with one clip. They just wish it had a thousand rounds.

Yep, that's it... :cuckoo:

BTW, it's a magazine, not a clip. Shows that you know nothing about guns, therefore fear them and don't want others to have them.

133, and I don't buy it, unless you were shot or clubbed in the head on duty... Or are Christopher Dorner's ghost.

133 huh. How do you know?

I took a test, duh.

BTW, were there a lot of bigots in your PD, or were you the only one?

Which test and when? SB5, WAIS? Or was it one of those on-line whose validity and reliabiltiy are not noted. I ask because in Grad School I took a two semester coursed in "Testing for Counselors". A course where we tool most of the standardized tests and learned to score them.

I'm not intolerant of all gun owners, only those who have little tiny man organs and need to parade their guns around. Kind of like those guys in trench coats though they rarely hurt anyone.

I'm not intolerant of all gun owners, only those who have little tiny man organs and need to parade their guns around. Kind of like those guys in trench coats though they rarely hurt anyone.

I didnt realize you checked them out. Should have figured though. Are the small ones easier to suck?

I took a test, duh.

Which test and when? SB5, WAIS? Or was it one of those on-line whose validity and reliabiltiy are not noted. I ask because in Grad School I took a two semester coursed in "Testing for Counselors". A course where we tool most of the standardized tests and learned to score them.

I don't parade my guns around, dude. Don't go shooting very often these days either. But I SURE do get my back up when I see folks trying to grab or otherwise infringe our 2nd Amendment rights!

I don't remember what IQ test, it was many years ago in school, and frankly it's not important -- though you sure seem obsessed with it.

But what I do know is that your remarks have been childish and trite, and far away from what anyone would expect from a 65 year old man, let alone a former LEO.

Last edited:
133, and I don't buy it, unless you were shot or clubbed in the head on duty... Or are Christopher Dorner's ghost.

I took a test, duh.

Which test and when? SB5, WAIS? Or was it one of those on-line whose validity and reliabiltiy are not noted. I ask because in Grad School I took a two semester coursed in "Testing for Counselors". A course where we took most of the standardized tests and learned to score them.

I didnt realize you checked them out. Should have figured though. Are the small ones easier to suck?

He's probably fishing for a pic from me :cool:

Seems my comment hit home with a few good old boys. I bet each of them drives a big ass PU truck too, with an extra large tail pipe and oversize tires as accessories.

Your comment is asinine.

Owning a weapon and the desire to kill people are not mutually inclusive.

My brothers and I have owned and used guns for over 50 years, and have not shot anyone yet...

Odds are, we would be able to go another 50 years without killing anyone, if we lived that long.

I can say the same about a dozen or more cousins...

Why does anyone need a Bible and a Qur'an?

Why does anyone need a TV and a Newspaper?

Why does anyone need a lock and an alarm on their door?

Like a seatbelt - If you wait until you need a large capacity magazine it will be too late.

The large capacity magazines for AR-15s and their derivitives are 90 and mor rounds. The 30 round magazines are standard issue - the guns come with them. I have never seen a 10 round magazine for an AR-15. Many handguns come with 13 to 15 round magazines - ten round magazines are not available fo them.

Do you not fasten your seat belt until you need it?
Do you not take a coat with you on a trip if it might rain? - or do you wait until it rains to get your coat?
Do you wait until your car won't run to get it serviced?
Do you wait until you need medical attention or do you get an annual physical?
In almost every case you plan for things that might happen to take what you might need. Why is it so wrong to have a standard capacity magazine in case you might need it?
Why is it wrong to have a semi-auto carbine in case you might need it?
It is legal, more or less affordable, and something that if you wait until you need it you will probably never need anything again.

20 and 30 round mags are standard magazines. Most rilfles come with 20 or 30 round mags from the factory.

10 round mags are reduced capacity magazines.

IF you'd ever been out target shooting or plinking, you'd know that not having to reload every 10 rounds makes it more enjoyable.

Also, if several perps break into your home, it's much better to have 20 or 30 rounds in your rifle, or 13-15 in your pistol. Look at any cop shooting, and most of the shots miss the target, so why would you want to handicap your own defense weapon, when the criminal won't be handicapping theirs?

IF you thought about it, you'd also realize that criminals will always be able to get any size mag they want. It's only we who obey laws that won't have anything bigger than a 10 round mag.

So essentially Dems are aiding and abetting criminals by taking away the law-abiding citizens' right to own whatever capacity mag they wish, since criminals, by definition, do not obey laws and will use any gun, mag or ammo they can buy off the street, or steal.

The police commonly shoot five times for every perp they kill. We are talking about people trained to use guns here. It wold be absurd to expect a homeowner to down a perp with less than 10 shots, and what if there are multiple perps?

The main reason to have high capacity magazines because those are the best kind for killing jack-booted government storm troopers.

I beg to differ with you on the number of rounds needed. It has been my experience that civilians shoot better than law enforcement officers. I can shoot far better than over 90% of the LEOs that I have had the "pleasure" of shooting along side. I can shoot faster and more accurately because I practice more than they do. Guns are recreational for me and I enjoy shooting groups that are smaller from center to center than a single bullet. I do so most of the time. I know my guns better than most cops know their guns and I have more guns than the average cop.

The federal government does not have the power to regulate guns or their accessories. The federal government only has the powers granted to them by the states and people through the constitution. We keep the rest!

Major Hasan allegedly had both 20 round and 30 round magazines for his US issue 9 mm weapon. He fired about 150 rounds killing 13 Soldiers and wounding 32. He was found to have 177 rounds in his pocket when he was brought down by local police who were called because the Ft. Hood Military Police had no ammunition.

Who'd a' thunk it - a "gun free zone" on a military base...

You really have to wonder what goes on in the minds of people who make the rules...

Forum List

Back