Why do you think LBJ was a terrible president?

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
I see so many polls and so many people saying that LBJ was a terrible president, but I've never understood why. Was there anything else besides the mis-handling of the Vietnam War that made LBJ one of the worst presidents in history?

Didn't LBJ sign into law the Civil Rights Act?

I see so many polls and so many people saying that LBJ was a terrible president, but I've never understood why. Was there anything else besides the mis-handling of the Vietnam War that made LBJ one of the worst presidents in history?

Increasing spending domestically dramatically while fighting a war against communism. Focusing the war on Vietnam, while the USSR was overwhelming us there and on other fronts. His programs literally lead to the problems of welfare moms and single moms that we face today, all in the name of compassion. Talk about unintended consequences. Yet, Daniel Patrick Moynihan warned about those consequences, onto deaf ear.

well, I'd say the gulf of Tonkin was a significant reason

He lied about Vietnam, which was inexcusable.

Other than that, he would have gone down in history as possibly the 20th centuries greatest presidents, on a par with FDR. There so much he did in 5 short years that we take for granted today. Civil rights, consumer protections, medicare, medicaid, environmental laws. That shit pretty much all started with LBJ.

Last edited:

Other than that, he would have gone down in history as possibly the 20th centuries greatest presidents, on a par with FDR. There so much he did in 5 short years that we take for granted today. Civil rights, consumer protections, medicare, medicaid, environmental laws. That shit pretty much all started with LBJ.

which 'party' made that civil rights program pass? Hmmm? Hint, wasn't LBJ's party...

LBJ did more for civil rights than ANY OTHER President in this nation's history.

That is oversahdowed by his mishandling of Vietnam. He tried to win a political war with limited military force and failed.

He is one of my favorite presidents. He did good work and didn't go for glory.

which 'party' made that civil rights program pass? Hmmm? Hint, wasn't LBJ's party...

But, your conservative heroes, Reagan and Goldwater opposed the 1964 civil rights bill.

It was a northern versus southern thing. Norther republicans and democrats voted for it, southern democrats and southern republicans voted against it.

History gives LBJ props for providing the leadership on it, even if you don't.

Civil rights wasn't the only thing LBJ accomplished in 5 short years. Pretty much most things you take for granted today, from consumer protections, the healthcare for seniors and poor people, to modern environmental laws all trace their roots to LBJ.

Why do you think your conservative icons Reagan and Goldwater oppossed the 64 civil rights bill? I'd love to hear you spin it.

But, your conservative heroes, Reagan and Goldwater opposed the 1964 civil rights bill.

It was a northern versus southern thing. Norther republicans and democrats voted for it, southern democrats and southern republicans voted against it.

Civil rights wasn't the only thing LBJ accomplished in 5 short years. Pretty much most things you take for granted today, from consumer protections, the healthcare for seniors and poor people, to modern environmental laws all trace their roots to LBJ.

Why do you think your conservative icons Reagan and Goldwater oppossed the 64 civil rights bill? I'd love to hear you spin it.

It's not one of the most important things, but Lady Bird Johnson did a lot with her Don't Be A Litterbug campaign. I wish someone would resurrect it.

I didn't know that.

Nixon was good on the environment too.

Trust me, both Nixon and LBJ were heads and tails above their successors, never us mind, we're dealing with 'the one.'

Life is good, well except for what's not...

Can you EVER discuss anything without being suck a partisan hack?

Who cares why they opposed the civil rights bill? This is 2008 just in case you missed it. Republicans and Democrats in 1964 were completely different animals than they are today and I can guarantee YOU would've hated Democrats back then. WE supported Johnson on Vietnam.

It's not one of the most important things, but Lady Bird Johnson did a lot with her Don't Be A Litterbug campaign. I wish someone would resurrect it.

It's STILL a big issue here. That is where "Don't Mess with Texas" come from. It isn't some redneck thing as a lot of non-Texans think. It's the slogan for the anti-littering campaign.

He got us into Vietnam neck deep.

He gave us medicare and medicaid, which never should have been created (don't be fooled; there was health care for the poor and elderly back then).

He essentially created the modern welfare state, and social ills skyrocketed immediately, as welfare checks replaced fathers, just as critics predicted.

He signed the overly broad civil rights act, which has led to affirmative action and racial quotas and so forth.

He rolled over and played dead with Israel in regards to the USS Liberty.

He's not quite Woodrow Wilson bad or FDR bad, but he was pretty awful.

It's STILL a big issue here. That is where "Don't Mess with Texas" come from. It isn't some redneck thing as a lot of non-Texans think. It's the slogan for the anti-littering campaign.

Interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QocrbaZ7AiU]YouTube - USS Liberty EXPOSED[/ame]

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

I don't think he lied. I do believe he was lied to by the military. I am an historian, and I still rate LBJ among our top five greatest presidents. NOBODY but LBJ could have managed to get the legislation through Congress that he did. He knew how to twist arms and get cooperation better than any American president in history. We needed LBJ when he was president. No other man could have done what he did.

A lot of people think JFK was an important President. The only thing he did that was important beside get the top his skull blown off was his announcement that we would go to and return from the moon before a decade was up (The 1960's).

Again, the important thing to note was that LBJ got that program through Congress when nobody else would have managed. Easily one of the greatest true politicians in World History.

I don't think he lied. I do believe he was lied to by the military. I am an historian, and I still rate LBJ among our top five greatest presidents. NOBODY but LBJ could have managed to get the legislation through Congress that he did. He knew how to twist arms and get cooperation better than any American president in history. We needed LBJ when he was president. No other man could have done what he did.

A lot of people think JFK was an important President. The only thing he did that was important beside get the top his skull blown off was his announcement that we would go to and return from the moon before a decade was up (The 1960's).

Again, the important thing to note was that LBJ got that program through Congress when nobody else would have managed. Easily one of the greatest true politicians in World History.

so you ok with the little liberty incident then....

Forum List

Back