CDZ WHY do you have to belong to a tribe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I'd put the odds of a civil, interesting conversation here at about 100 to 1, but let's give it a shot. I'm really hopeful something interesting will pop up.

Let's take a THEORETICAL person who has strong and sincere disagreements with BOTH PARTIES. This person's opinions on the issues are every bit as strong as that of hardcore party members, but they just don't coincidentally all fall into place with those of a party. Most of this person's views really don't jibe with those of EITHER party, so he practices a little independent thought and comes up with his OWN ideas, sometimes taking parts from both sides, sometimes creating his own ideas.

So tell me: Should this person belong to one of the tribes? Should this person pick a tribe and run with it? Should they submit to the obligation that they have to spin and deflect and lie and attack for their tribe when it is under attack, even when that person really doesn't agree with the tribe? Should this person be allowed to express opinions that don't fall in line with the tribe, without being attacked by the tribe?

Finally, is it in America's best interest for members of the tribe to behave that way? If so, why?

Serious questions.

I'd put the odds of a civil, interesting conversation here at about 100 to 1, but let's give it a shot. I'm really hopeful something interesting will pop up.

Let's take a THEORETICAL person who has strong and sincere disagreements with BOTH PARTIES. This person's opinions on the issues are every bit as strong as that of hardcore party members, but they just don't coincidentally all fall into place with those of a party. Most of this person's views really don't jibe with those of EITHER party, so he practices a little independent thought and comes up with his OWN ideas, sometimes taking parts from both sides, sometimes creating his own ideas.

So tell me: Should this person belong to one of the tribes? Should this person pick a tribe and run with it? Should they submit to the obligation that they have to spin and deflect and lie and attack for their tribe when it is under attack, even when that person really doesn't agree with the tribe? Should this person be allowed to express opinions that don't fall in line with the tribe, without being attacked by the tribe?

Finally, is it in America's best interest for members of the tribe to behave that way? If so, why?

Serious questions.
I think its wise to take your ideas to one political party and change them from within

the Tweeners are always going to be out of power and chronic complainers

Way to accomplish some honest discourse, starting out by saying that you are smarter than 99% of the people here.
And yet, in reality, I know that my ideas could be completely wrong, and/or missing something. That's where collaboration and innovation used to take over. Taking pieces of ideas from all over and then building on them. Back then. A long time ago. When America was exceptional.

So you're just off. Maybe consider the questions.

And yet, in reality, I know that my ideas could be completely wrong, and/or missing something. That's where collaboration and innovation used to take over. Taking pieces of ideas from all over and then building on them. Back then. A long time ago. When America was exceptional.

So you're just off. Maybe consider the questions.
Nice tap dance.

Or not.

Tribalism is a weak form of politics.

Why would a critical thinker embrace the Borg mindset?
I think we can agree that humans can be tribal to begin with. I don't think that's a big debate. The question is whether we can move beyond that, and yeah, that requires what we think of as "critical thinking".

My theory has always been that ideology is not a function of intelligence. There are plenty of smart people on both ends. To me, an ideology is something that afflicts someone, like a virus. It distorts perceptions, thought processes, and behaviors.

Or... I'm just missing something, hence the thread :laugh:

Maybe I'll toss in a separate question:

Is it best for America that as many people as possible pick one side or the other?
That's a silly way of looking at it. Tribalism isn't about picking, it's about belonging. You can't just pick a tribe and expect acceptance, you must prove you belong and the acceptance is forthcoming. Nobody wants some wishy washy clown who will bolt at the first sign of trouble.

LOL....Just a few minutes ago a member of my "tribe" (if that's what you want to call the right-leaning) called me a Nazi for being Pro-Choice which just points to the fact that the right-leaning can be just as hard on those of their own that think just a bit different than they do.

That and I've noticed that the Nazi-card is being as freely tossed about as the race card is of late......By both main "tribes".....At least they have that in common. ;)

Serious questions.
We need to belong to a tribe because russia, China, etc all belong to tribes.

Serious questions.
Sarah palin and Ron Paul aren’t really republicans. But that’s the party they have the best chance to change.

I honk it’s good when people go against the tribe. Maybe the tribe isn’t right. Don’t cancel the dissenter

LOL....Just a few minutes ago a member of my "tribe" (if that's what you want to call the right-leaning) called me a Nazi for being Pro-Choice which just points to the fact that the right-leaning can be just as hard on those of their own that think just a bit different than they do.

That and I've noticed that the Nazi-card is being as freely tossed about as the race card is of late......By both main "tribes".....At least they have that in common. ;)
I love republicans who acknowledge global warming is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back