Why Do the Rich Kids Do Better?

Anecdotal evidence is worthless. You claim to read the literature. My wife is a professor still, and she remains absolutely current with educational studies, and YOU are failing. Yes, there are some great schools out there. But they are the MINORITY.

The reality is the public education system is an abject failure for the majority of its students.
The reality is that "No Child Left Behind" was a farcical RW attempt to destroy public education from day one. Unfortunately it was taken seriously far too long, so it largely worked. Thank goodness many teachers and schools have wised up and refuse to play your stupid games anymore.

Many people make assumptions about the potential and ability of students without understanding context. If you look at the results from wealthy districts vs more economically challenged areas, the difference is clear but not necessarily the causes. Having had extensive experience with students from wealthy suburbs and inner city schools I can tell you that real differences are on the individual level, not as generalized groups. Some of the key influences include:

• parental involvement
  • time
  • living conditions
  • availability of extra help

The families of wealthier students can, and very often do, provide tutoring outside of school to help their children get ahead. As well they should. However, if the family of a student from a different background can't afford to do the same, it is NOT a reflection of the capacity of that student.

Having watched too many episodes of "COPS" and "JAIL", the issue is pretty clear.

Between that and the single mother raising kids on her own is a recipe for failure. Most of the mothers seem to do their best but there is no male presence to have mom's back.

You can line up tutors around the block but if the culture is that behaving and getting an education is acting "WHITE" nothing will change.

Not that some major improvements haven't been established over the past twenty years, but..
The prison industrial complex and the test publishing industry made a killing while students were forced to pass standardized tests instead of learning things they and their communities found more important.
According to Madeleine Cousineau’s submission as part of the Suspension Stories Project, there are three ways that schools raise their test scores through this loophole: 1. To hold back underachieving students from the grades in which tests will be administered, 2. to increase suspensions of low-achieving students during testing periods, or 3. to pressure low-achieving students to leave school or expel them, even if they have not violated any rule of school conduct. We are allowing a dangerously high percentage of students to disappear from the educational pipeline and putting them on the road to prison.

Anecdotal evidence is worthless. You claim to read the literature. My wife is a professor still, ....
Real life experience and first hand knowledge are far more worthy than hysterical reactions to random internet stories.

And teaching at a college is completely different than teaching at a high school. I've done a lot of both. We have some early college courses at the high school, and when professors come over to co-teach classes they are at a complete loss.

Real life experience and first hand knowledge are far more worthy than hysterical reactions to random internet stories.

And teaching at a college is completely different than teaching at a high school. I've done a lot of both. We have some early college courses at the high school, and when professors come over to co-teach classes they are at a complete loss.

Agreed. My daughter is dual enrolled in high school and college. My wife is a college professor. How much real world first hand knowledge do you want to deal with, sport?

Agreed. My daughter is dual enrolled in high school and college. My wife is a college professor. How much real world first hand knowledge do you want to deal with, sport?
I've got more than enough for both of us. Not a relative - ME.

So, I had to deal with the poor quality of students that came from high schools. Granted, by the time I got them they had actually BEEN EDUCATED, but my compatriots were constantly talking about how poor the students were. And that was YEARS ago.

The situation has gotten worse.

So, I had to deal with the poor quality of students that came from high schools. Granted, by the time I got them they had actually BEEN EDUCATED, but my compatriots were constantly talking about how poor the students were. And that was YEARS ago.

The situation has gotten worse.
When was the last time YOU were in a public high school?

When was the last time YOU were in a public high school?

A few days ago. Why? You think that your experience trumps everyone else's? You think that you have some special knowledge that no one else has?

You don't. You may or may not be a good teacher. I have no idea. But the evidence is overwhelming that public schools are failing their students at all levels. That is a fact.

Too bad if it hurts your head.

I've heard of Scientific Principles, but never of Principles developing science projects.

I've been around a lot of rich kids who have obviously been socially promoted, and aren't bright or educated much at all, so a lot of this 'rich are better educated' stuff is rubbish. You can get through Harvard without ever reading a single book; just be a 'legacy' and/or have Daddy 'donate' a library wing or fund some dept chair. A local rich kid school here has over a dozen 18-24 yer old 'Vice Presidents' of oil companies who have never seen an oil well in their lives and couldn't tell you where any of their Daddy's company's wells are if their lives depended on it. Many are stupid to boot, but Daddy has the sense to hire competent people to run the company and keep the family in high style.

It works both ways; the problems is poor and working class kids can't afford to be as stupid as rich kids can and do well, which is why socially promoting minorities and assigning quotas and dumbing down curriculum to pander to radicals is much more harmful to them. No it isn't 'fair'; fuck 'fair', it's never going to be 'fair', so focus on doing the right thing and forget sniveling about 'fair'.

Last edited:
NO, it is not.

Perhaps not in the genes, but sometimes in the biology. Children of poverty have mothers less likely to have accessed good maternal healthcare, with all the ramifications of that. That's not a blanket condemnation by any stretch. But it does put some kids already behind.

More ignorant bullshit from the loser. ^^^^^

Single parent family poverty level: 30% +

Married parent poverty level: 6%

Those are the facts. The fact is also that some segments of society are more or less likely to have children in marriage and to STAY married.

Strangely, white college-educated liberals often marry, have children in marriage and STAY married--which they know is great for their own children--while defending single parenthood for Everyone Else's Kids.

Huh. Mystery there.

Forum List

Back