Why do rock guitarists always suck at performing the National Anthem ?

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Here is Neal Schon of Journey performing at game 1 of the NBA finals last night.

First of all I'm not even sure if he's in tune but he obviously gets the basic melody wrong within the first verse, then seems to realize he screwed up and tries to shred his way through it, painfully for himself and I would suspect most everyone listening.

I can't even bear to watch it a second time.

Gary Hoey did the best one I've seen. ( I believe it was at a Patriots game ).... but personally I think all the other ones including Joe Satriani and Jimi Hendrix....are disappointing.

Here is Neal Schon of Journey performing at game 1 of the NBA finals last night.
First of all I'm not even sure if he's in tune but he obviously gets the basic melody wrong within the first verse, then seems to realize he screwed up and tries to shred his way through it, painfully for himself and I would suspect most everyone listening. I can't even bear to watch it a second time.

Really? Neal is a great guitarist and I loved his rendition! The best Rock variation I've ever heard other than for Jimi himself.

We have the greatest country in the world, imo.

But our national anthem sucks. It's boring beyond belief. The range is so great, in some places, that few singers are able to get through it without some obvious straining. And when singers try to jazz it up a bit to make it more interesting, it only sounds worse.

A lot of people have expressed an interest in changing our anthem. Possibly to My Country Tis Of Thee (I think that's the song's name). Just about anything would be better, imo.

Every performer wants to make the song his or hers, and thus butcher it.

If you want to impress me, play the song exactly as the writer wrote it. No speed runs, no scales, no jazzing it up.
You are 100% correct. Their egos are so massive that they think folks are there to hear their greatness.

Surprisingly, Meat Loaf did sing the National Anthem at the the1994 All-Star Baseball game.

Forum List

Back