Why do people say the GOP platform opposes abortion without exception?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Amelia, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    I must be looking in the wrong place. I see things such as the GOP platform calling for a ban on sex-selective abortions. If the platform calls for a ban on all abortions then why specially single out sex-selective abortions? I see the platform also calls for the protection of fetuses which are developed to the point of being able to feel pain.

I'm not sure I'm finding the language which so outraged people that they compared it to Todd Akin's comment about legitimate rape.

I would appreciate someone helping me out with the passage or passages which were deemed so objectionable.

TIA.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Paul Ryan, at one point, opposed abortion without exception, but Romney was pro-choice, so *shrug*

Their official position and the platform is abortion bad except when it's not :p

3. Emma

Emma Evil Liberal Leftist™

Thanks Received:
    On the street, acting all loud and tumultuous and
    Ratings:
    +757
    "Faithful to the “self-evident” truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Bf109G

Bf109G BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Isn't roe vs wade settled law?

Isn't it true that it could only be changed by a constitutional amendment?

5. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    From the GOP platform:

G.O.P. Platform « White House 2012

6. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Context would say that the GOP is not calling for a no-exception ban on abortion.

Context such as this: "We call for legislation to ban sex-selective abortions ..."

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,287
    There are no exceptions noted

No allowances for rape or the mothers health

8. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    There shouldn't be exceptions. If you think abortion is the murder of an innocent baby, why is it ok to murder said baby if the mother was raped?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

I can see that as one way to interpret the opening sentence of that section. That is why we keep reading past the first sentence if we want to be fully informed on a subject. The context provided by the rest of the section shows that either the authors of the first sentence didn't intend it in the way people are reading it, or they know they couldn't pass what people are reading into the first sentence.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. FreeWilly

FreeWilly Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What am I supposed to do when I agree with Democrats on many social issues and republicans on fiscal issues? It amazes me there is no in between candidate yet that values freedom of choice across the board. Here is why I, a registered republican, believe that abortion should be up to the woman: A woman should be able to do what ever she wants with her own body. PERIOD. An unborn baby DEPENDS on a womans body to support it until it is born. A woman is not a baby factory. She is a living person. Don't get me wrong, I highly condemn abortion in circumstances other than rape. I think that an unwanted pregnancy is one of the most irresponsible things possible, because it is so easily preventable, but I do not feel I have the right to make that claim on a woman's body to tell her what to do with it. The republican party is so reliant on religious groups for votes and it really pisses me off.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012