Jay Leno -- His Fair Share...

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
Here's one rich dude who's deciding his OWN fair share...

Network: Leno took 50% pay cut to reduce 'Tonight Show' layoffs - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Jay Leno took one for the team, in the form of a $15 million pay cut, to protect the staff of NBC's "The Tonight Show" from further cuts.

An NBC Universal representative confirmed Friday that the host took a 50% pay reduction.

The representative also confirmed that Leno extended his contract until September 2014.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation told CNN last month that 20 to 25 employees of "The Tonight Show" were let go and that Leno made the salary concession to prevent even more staff reductions.

According to the source, the layoffs were part of a plan to adjust the show's expenses to be more in line with typical late-night programming as opposed to prime-time fare.

And he's given me a plan.. Should the Obama/Reid/Pelosi Revolution of the Masses get 4 more years and raise my taxes to 40 or 60% --- then I'm gonna make sure they don't get it. Instead I'll cut my own salary by a sufficient amount to hire 20 or 30 people just to sit around and tell me how great I am..

And maybe task them to post on USMB for me while I'm busy... :lol:

Seriously --- it illustrates the point that to MOST of the rich -- the game is NOT to make more money.. It's the success of the program, company or ideas that their creativity drives them towards..

And I am sure they would be very happy with you for proving that tax increases do create jobs (at least in your case) and that is sound policy…..

(CNN) -- Jay Leno took one for the team, in the form of a $15 million pay cut, to protect the staff of NBC's "The Tonight Show" from further cuts.

An NBC Universal representative confirmed Friday that the host took a 50% pay reduction.

The representative also confirmed that Leno extended his contract until September 2014.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation told CNN last month that 20 to 25 employees of "The Tonight Show" were let go and that Leno made the salary concession to prevent even more staff reductions.

According to the source, the layoffs were part of a plan to adjust the show's expenses to be more in line with typical late-night programming as opposed to prime-time fare.

And he's given me a plan.. Should the Obama/Reid/Pelosi Revolution of the Masses get 4 more years and raise my taxes to 40 or 60%
Your make-believe numbers are hilarious.
-- then I'm gonna make sure they don't get it. Instead I'll cut my own salary by a sufficient amount to hire 20 or 30 people just to sit around and tell me how great I am..
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you saying that you make enough money that you could "cut" your salary enough to pay the salaries of "20 or 30" people?

Seriously --- it illustrates the point that to MOST of the rich -- the game is NOT to make more money.. It's the success of the program, company or ideas that their creativity drives them towards..
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "it".

What "illustrates" that "point"?

I thought that was clear – IT is the fact that Leno cut his salary. The illustrated point was that (to Jay) the money was LESS VALUABLE than that of the successful program. I, for one, can’t agree with this more. People that are outrageously wealthy do not continue to work for more wealth – they already have that – they work to build something, be successful at something or make a lasting mark.

And he's given me a plan.. Should the Obama/Reid/Pelosi Revolution of the Masses get 4 more years and raise my taxes to 40 or 60%
Your make-believe numbers are hilarious.
-- then I'm gonna make sure they don't get it. Instead I'll cut my own salary by a sufficient amount to hire 20 or 30 people just to sit around and tell me how great I am..
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you saying that you make enough money that you could "cut" your salary enough to pay the salaries of "20 or 30" people?

"It" refers to Leno's move to preserve his "project" and his "brand" and the jobs of his co-workers rather than stick to the salary and contract that he could have had.. I've spent much time in High Tech Start-Ups and the Venture folks that fund them -- and I've NEVER SEEN an entrenprenuer that put money and profit ahead of his visions for product.

The concept of protesting higher taxes on "the wealthy" by reducing your pay and hiring an army of fluffers and "suckups" sounds GREAT to me.. Do I want to fund more windmills Cruise Missiles, Solyndras and pay for rich people's EVs ? Or should I just buy myself a harem of assistants to boost my personal production and ego? Not a difficult for me..

I'll leave it up to your imagination how many I could afford in order to avoid being sucked dry by the Class Warriors.... :cool:

And he's given me a plan.. Should the Obama/Reid/Pelosi Revolution of the Masses get 4 more years and raise my taxes to 40 or 60% --- then I'm gonna make sure they don't get it. Instead I'll cut my own salary by a sufficient amount to hire 20 or 30 people just to sit around and tell me how great I am..

And those 20 or 30 people will put that money to much better use than you would. They will use it to buy products that will grow our economy. As the economy grows, your company will then be forced to expand and you will make even more money and hire more people. More money in the hands of the workers is good for everyone. That doesn't mean you should only make as much as everyone else; it just means you should pay your employees a solid wage for the work they do, because it is beneficial to everyone.

Last of all, rich people like being rich and getting rich. They also like getting richer. I have rarely known one to say I've made enough, and if the government taxes me a little bit more, I'm just going to quit; they can have it all. No, that is not the mentality of the entrepreneur; the mentality of the entrepreneur is to win and make more no matter what.

And those 20 or 30 people will put that money to much better use than you would. They will use it to buy products that will grow our economy. As the economy grows, your company will then be forced to expand and you will make even more money and hire more people. More money in the hands of the workers is good for everyone. That doesn't mean you should only make as much as everyone else; it just means you should pay your employees a solid wage for the work they do, because it is beneficial to everyone.

Last of all, rich people like being rich and getting rich. They also like getting richer. I have rarely known one to say I've made enough, and if the government taxes me a little bit more, I'm just going to quit; they can have it all. No, that is not the mentality of the entrepreneur; the mentality of the entrepreneur is to win and make more no matter what.

If my objective is to make certain that not a further dime of "my INCREASED fair share" is ever seen by the Class Warriors -- then I hire 10 ego fluffers instead of the one engineer that might be of use to me. Ego fluffers don't cost much. And my ego is good repair. And they will not make enough to make up the amount that the Class Warriors demanded of me.

Your last paragraph is interesting because it reflects the diff between your experiences and mine. GRANTED -- a lot of TODAY'S businesses and jobs are NOT VISION ventures or particularly INNOVATIVE. Buying another 4 burger franchises doesn't come with a commitment to make a BETTER more economical or healthy burger. So in a lot of cases, you are correct that profit is a larger motivator.

But the important revelation in this diff is that those jobs are NOT the type of JOBS that America needs more of to neutralize the losses we're seeing to Globalism. The work I've done in Silicon Valley is ALL MOTIVATED by the goal of succeeding to provide a NEW, NOVEL and important product advantage. Like reducing the risk of getting a cardiac cath exam or protecting folks with better weather radar systems. THOSE ENTREPRENUERS are NOT motivated by the money. And we better soon realize that "creating jobs" isn't gonna cure what ails the American Middle Class until we focus on the vital DIFF in how those jobs affect international competitiveness and produce NEW MARKETS and PRODUCTS that truly expand quality jobs.

((None of that should be read to disparage service/commodity jobs.. They are important also -- but they will NOT lead us to parity with the rest of the world itching to take our remaining tech advantages away))

Work in the APPROPRIATE areas will bring back manufacturing in a different embodiment and restore jobs at ALL LEVELS of qualification -- not just for the science/engineering/math types..

Last edited:

I thought that was clear – IT is the fact that Leno cut his salary. The illustrated point was that (to Jay) the money was LESS VALUABLE than that of the successful program. I, for one, can’t agree with this more. People that are outrageously wealthy do not continue to work for more wealth – they already have that – they work to build something, be successful at something or make a lasting mark.

I'm lost, because the OP said J took a 50% cut in pay at 15 millions dollars... So is working for 15 million dollars a year not working for more wealth? Why didn't he work for 100,000$ or free? More or less his options were work for 30milliona and the show ends, meaning no money... or work for 15 million and have a show, that pays you 15 million a year for 2 more years...

Seemed like a wise financial choice to me.

I'd also like to point out that 15 million dollars is a lot of money, 20-25 employees prolly costs the network less than 2-3 million and that is if they were paying them all 100 thousand each.

Last edited:

I'm lost, because the OP said J took a 50% cut in pay at 15 millions dollars... So is working for 15 million dollars a year not working for more wealth? Why didn't he work for 100,000$ or free? More or less his options were work for 30milliona and the show ends, meaning no money... or work for 15 million and have a show, that pays you 15 million a year for 2 more years...

I'd also like to point out that 15 million dollars is a lot of money, 20-25 employees prolly costs the network less than 2-3 million and that is if they were paying them all 100 thousand each.

Why is it that NBA players can't work for free? After all -- that's just a game isn't it? Why does JK Rowling NEED all those book royalties?

The show WOULDN'T have ended if Leno stuck to his contract agreements. But the QUALITY and PRESTIGE of the show might have gone down considerably. And Leno wisely decided those things were more important than the money.

Why is it that NBA players can't work for free? After all -- that's just a game isn't it? Why does JK Rowling NEED all those book royalties?

The show WOULDN'T have ended if Leno stuck to his contract agreements. But the QUALITY and PRESTIGE of the show might have gone down considerably. And Leno wisely decided those things were more important than the money.

Again... 20-25 people could only cost the network a few million and that would be at a REDICTULUS amount of a pay per person. J took a 15 million dollar cut, they didn't hire people back. So chances are VERY high that J either takes a big cut in pay or the show ends. Do you understand yet?

How many people do you think work to make his show run? 50,000? The cut in pay was probably near nothing to do with saving more employees... At 300k a year 15 million would have saved 50 employees. at 150k a year that would save 100... Do you see what I'm getting at yet? They would have to lay off near 200 people at 75k a year to equal 15 million, is their staff that big? Who would be left working if J didn't take the pay cut?

J took a cut in pay but probably to save the show, that saves jobs but it also saves his job. I’m not a J leno hater or something, I’m simply pointing out the PR would rather say J saves jobs by taking a pay cut rather than admit the show is hurting and they cut J’s pay in half, one can bring new viewers who sympathize with “saving jobs” and the other makes people feel the show is tanking and you lose viewership.

In Hollywood, those writers, production assistants, talent mgrs make a lot more than what you're calculating. Probably enough to account for 20 jobs being equal to what J gave back..

And YES -- it's obvious the show was in trouble. But getting a NEW staff and star in place would cost them MORE than $15M. Point is that JAY still believes in the venture. Still thinks they can do it. Otherwise, he could walk away and work on his cars..

In Hollywood, those writers, production assistants, talent mgrs make a lot more than what you're calculating. Probably enough to account for 20 jobs being equal to what J gave back..

And YES -- it's obvious the show was in trouble. But getting a NEW staff and star in place would cost them MORE than $15M. Point is that JAY still believes in the venture. Still thinks they can do it. Otherwise, he could walk away and work on his cars..

Thanks for proving my point... J still makes 15 million VS not having a show. And I highly doubt they pay writers 500k each and that they need 20 of them. Cutting costs to keep the show going is what gets J paid, not making 30 milion and not having a show by the very next year due to quality falling. It's pretty basic stuff, if there is not enough demand to pay the bill you gotta cut somewhere. The biggest cost by far looks to be J, so.... duh.

Forum List

Back