Does Israel have nuclear weapons?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Indofred, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Serious question.
    They've never claimed to have them, just strong hints and most of those came from the US.
    Tales of stolen nuclear material, taken like a child stealing from a sweet shop but from a high security plant.
    Stories of sales to South Africa that never actually happened and so on.

Does Israeli actually have nukes or not?

2. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    I would bet good money on them having a nuclear arsenal.

I thought this was funny:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmw0rHZlQKg]Does Israel have nuclear weapons? Answer the question: yes or no - YouTube[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    Most people think yes. Estimates range from 50-100 warheads, usable either as bombs or on cruise missiles.

4. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Yes, they are believed to have them, which makes me wonder why in the hell we give them billions in welfare. Their economy isn't doing poorly either. We need to give them not one more red cent.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,512
    I believe they do. But according to what I've heard they're old relics compared to what the U.S., Britain and France have at their disposal.

6. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,095
    The Israeli nuclear program was first revealed publicly on December 13, 1960 in a small Time article,[63] which said that a non-Communist non-NATO country had made an "atomic development". On December 16, the Daily Express revealed this country to be Israel, and on December 18, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission chairman John McCone appeared on Meet the Press to officially confirm the Israeli construction of a nuclear reactor and announce his resignation.[64] The following day The New York Times, with the help of McCone, revealed that France was assisting Israel.[65]
    Although Israel first built a nuclear weapon in the late 1960s, it is not publicly confirmed.[dubious – discuss] Mordechai Vanunu, a former Israeli nuclear technician, revealed details of the program to the British press in 1986.[citation needed]
    Nuclear weapons and Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think they'd still be extant if they didn't have them?

7. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    Considering they dont have to worry about what the major superpowers have (including China and Russia) some old relics are probably good enough.

Besides, thier planned use would be as a final retaliation if WMD's managed to wipe out a significant portion of Israel's population.

8. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,512
    I'm inclined to agree. I'm no friend of Israel, but as far as I'm aware they've never threatened to use them. And even I can see that if Iran developed a nuclear warhead and viable delivery system they'd slam the threat of its use on the discussion table like a gunslinger would with his six-gun whenever they don't get their way.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  9. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    The issue with Iran or any of the other Middle East countries getting a bomb is and will continue to be the strategic vulnerability of the dense Israeli population compared to its neighbors. 3-4 nukes in the right places in Israel would lead to at least a decimation (in the classical sense) of the population, while the same response to the arab countries would be damaging, but not fatal. THIS is the logic that scares the crap out of Israel, the thought that one of thier enemies could think that they could out-survive a retaliatory strike.

10. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Something else to consider.

Nuclear Bunker Buster
    animation

This animation depicts a proposed weapon with a one megaton yield. The funding for this weapon was cut in 2005 defense appropriations. However, the United States still has a B61-11 nuclear 'bunker buster' in its arsenal which has a 400 kiloton yield, which could still cause hundreds of thousands of deaths and spread radiation to other countries.

The Nuclear Bunker Buster
    Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator
    Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator (RNEP): Nuclear Bunker Buster Animation (2005) | Union of Concerned Scientists