Why do Christianity and Islam proselytise?

There are PLENTY of Jews by birth--everyone born to a Jew is a Jew. ( accroding to Jews anyway) They all are not practicing Jews however.
I believe that if your father is Jewish, you are Jewish.

i thought it was the opposite.....if your mother is jewish, you are jewish....but i don't know why i'm thinking this way...? let me google...

don't bother--I guarantee you it's through the mother.

and is not every kid of a jew also a jew ?

Depends upon whom you ask.

Only the children of Jewishesses are considered Jewish by many Orthodox Jews.

The father can be gentile and the child is Jewish, but if the mother is gentile and the father is Jewish many Jews (how many I don't know, but enough that I know this) think that kid is not Jewish.

Of course to a German NAZI, anyone with as little as 1/16th Jewish heritage is a Jew, so like I said...depends upon whom you ask.

and is not every kid of a jew also a jew ?

Depends upon whom you ask.

Only the children of Jewishesses are considered Jewish by many Orthodox Jews.

The father can be gentile and the child is Jewish, but if the mother is gentile and the father is Jewish many Jews (how many I don't know, but enough that I know this) think that kid is not Jewish.

Of course to a German NAZI, anyone with as little as 1/16th Jewish heritage is a Jew, so like I said...depends upon whom you ask.

as it is with many religious questions

"Let your light shine like that in the sight of men. Let them see the good things you do and praise your Father in Heaven."

How I wish the christians I know would do this.

Very few I've met did so.

"Let your light shine like that in the sight of men. Let them see the good things you do and praise your Father in Heaven."

Probably becasue you're so judgemental of them --just a wild guess

Or those who did might not be those Bible thumping nitwits who you apparently think comprise the majority of Christendom?

Maybe the majority of people who think of themselves as Christians don't wear their religion on the sleeves and pound on your door to shove their beliefs down your throat so those Christians who do that SEEM LIKE they are the majority?

Just a thought, eh?

Last edited:
I think we've established that Judaism isn't a proselytising religion. I was asking the question because I wanted to know what it is in Christianity and islam that makes proselytising so important.

I dont think we've established it at all. Not after all Ive read of the Patriarchs through the Twelve tribes. Not what Ive read of Jonah, Isaiah, and all the Prophets in the old testament and through Jewish lore.

Judiasm may not proselyte anymore, but that isnt because it wasnt a proselyting religion. Quite honestly, I have no clue why they stopped but history shows that it was once.

So no i dont accept the premise. I dont think we've established jack.

I think we've established that Judaism isn't a proselytising religion. I was asking the question because I wanted to know what it is in Christianity and islam that makes proselytising so important.

I dont think we've established it at all. Not after all Ive read of the Patriarchs through the Twelve tribes. Not what Ive read of Jonah, Isaiah, and all the Prophets in the old testament and through Jewish lore.

Judiasm may not proselyte anymore, but that isnt because it wasnt a proselyting religion. Quite honestly, I have no clue why they stopped but history shows that it was once.

So no i dont accept the premise. I dont think we've established jack.
What matters is how the religion is taught and carried out today. We have established, and I can confirm, that Judaism is not a proselityzing religion.

I can't stand proselytizing. It's a complete turnoff. There's an arrogant assumption that your own faith is THE answer for every other human being on earth.

Jews have my complete respect and admiration for NOT PROSELYTIZING.

I enjoy talking about religion and spiritual practice. I esopecially enjoy those who aren't interested in others and who thrive by exchanging ideas and finding common ground.

Last edited:
If your mother is Jewish, then you are Jewish, is how it was for centuries, but i believe it has recently changed...like within the last century or so...

but why not ask David or Jillian, they should know?

Judiasm does almost No proselytising. They are not looking for converts. They only want people who where born Jewish. Hence, Judiasm has grown very slowly due to static birth rates.
Sunni Man you’re correct that the Jews don’t want anybody who isn’t born a Jew.

To answer Diuretic's questions, there’s a Biblical reason. The Abrahamic Covenant had three main features; First, the promise of land, second, the promise of descendants and, third, the promise of blessing and redemption. The Covenant applied singularly to the descendants of Abraham. And, the Covenant is an unconditional one as opposed to other ancient Biblical Covenants such as the Mosaic Covenant in which the Nation of Israel had to agree to certain conditions.

So, the Jewish people are generally not proselytistic because they have the Abrahamic Covenant.

As for the suffering so often referred to in the Bible and in Christian writing, one has to remember the historical context in which the New Testament took place. The Jews simply didn’t accept Christ as the Savior prophesied in the Old Testament and he and his followers represented a threat, in the the eyes of the Rabbis. He and his followers were persecuted and murdered for their beliefs. So, the oversimplified explanation is that if they were to convince converts they had to prepare them for the inevitable punishment they would face.

I can't stand proselytizing. It's a complete turnoff. There's an arrogant assumption that your own faith is THE answer for every other human being on earth.

Jews have my complete respect and admiration for NOT PROSELYTIZING.

I enjoy talking about religion and spiritual practice. I esopecially enjoy those who aren't interested in others and who thrive by exchanging ideas and finding common ground.

The "Turn or Burn" crowd can be and often are rather intense. But, it isn't a matter of arrogance. It's a matter of their having a fear of time runnning out and a burning desire, at least for the truly saved, to bring others along with them.

An often recited phrase that one hears is "So little time and so many lost souls!"

Unfortunately, that sentiment is mistaken for arrogance.

I disagree... there's also a certitude in their own absolute correctness without any sense that other people feel just as strongly about their own beliefs.

only they aren't bullies about it.

Forum List

Back