Why do Christianity and Islam proselytise?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Diuretic, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    This question occurred to me in this thread - http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/68247-the-truth-about-judaism.html - but I didn't want to throw it off topic.

I've been given several good reasons why Judaism doesn't proselytise. Fisty in that thread made the point that it wasn't the Abrahamic nature of Judaism (which it shares with Christianity and Islam) which has anything to do one way or the other with proselytising. But Christianity and Islam have proselytising as major parts of their doctrines. Why is that?

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    From what Ive read in Jewish tradition, Abraham did proselyte quite a bit.

God doesnt call people and ordain them to sit on their ass praising how good they are since they were called of God. He calls them so that they can lift up the rest of the human raise. Not because they are any better, but because they are willing to work.

3. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I think we've established that Judaism isn't a proselytising religion. I was asking the question because I wanted to know what it is in Christianity and islam that makes proselytising so important.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Well Christians are supposed to spread the word. The more people hear it, the more people can potentially make it to heaven.

5. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Okay Allie (or anyone) but where does it come from? Did Jesus order it or was it the organised church a bit later?

And what about Islam? Again, anyone who knows, I'd be grateful to know.

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    It comes from the NT.
    I have no idea about Islam.

"Sharing the gospel
    There are two main ways that we share our faith and the gospel. Through our life and through our
    words.
     Matthew 5:16 says let your light shine before men. That is a witness through our lives as
    we live the Christian life and walk the Christian walk.
    o 1 Thessalonians 2:8: Through Relationships
     Matthew 10:32 also says to confess Christ before men."
    http://www.calvarylm.org/photos/Photo65Min1.pdf

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    So it was after Jesus. Thanks Allie.

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    From Matthew:

"Follow me and I will teach you to catch men!"
    "Men do not light a lamp and put it under a bucket. They put it on a lamp-stand and it gives light for everybody in the house."

5:16 - "Let your light shine like that in the sight of men. Let them see the good things you do and praise your Father in Heaven."

And Mark:

Do you really not understand this parable? Then how are you going to understand all the other parables? The man who sows, sows the message. As for those who are by the roadside where the message is sown, as soon as they hear it Satan comes at once and takes away what has been sown in their minds. Similarly, the seed sown among the rocks represents those who hear the message without hesitation and accept it joyfully. But they have no real roots and do not last - when trouble or persecution arises because of the message, they give up their faith at once. Then there are the seeds which were sown among thorn-bushes. These are the people who hear the message, but the worries of this world and the false glamour of riches and all sorts of other ambitions creep in and choke the life out of what they have heard, and it produces no crop in their lives. As for the seed sown on good soil, this means the men who hear the message and accept it and do produce a crop - thirty, sixty, even a hundred times as much as they received."

9. FistyTheBadger

FistyTheBadger King of the Badgers

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Christians want to save souls, and Muslims want to save explosives.

(Audience Laughter Sign)

10. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Okay, get the Christian reason for proselytising, it's in the Gospels. I seem to remember also one of the Gospels mentioning that Jesus told Simon Peter he was a "fisher of men" (sic) which indicates the missionary role. But Judaism, of which Jesus was a member, apparently wasn't into proselytising (I note the information from jillian and Fisty that Jews, due to persecution that goes back even before Jesus, don't try and sign people up).

But why would Jesus exhort Simon Peter and the Apostles to get out there and sign up as many recruits as they could get? Look I understand that if someone believes that they've got something that can save people's souls that....wait a minute, wait a minute.

In the other thread there was a post by jillian about the nature of the soul in Judaism. I remember thinking it was interesting but very complex indeed.

It's the theology isn't it? Christianty has a different view of people and their spiritual being than does Judaism. Okay I know, blindingly obvious, perhaps to you but I had to think about it before I could see it in front of me.

How about Islam? Is it just about the numbers or is there some sort of exhortation by Allah that recruits are signed up? I mean I suppose it could have been the Prophet who urged it but surely he wouldn't have done so without the authority of Allah whose word is in the Qu'ran?

And just in case anyone thinks that D is being a cranky git, have no fear, this is genuine inquiry. I try not to play fast and loose with people's spiritual beliefs (unless they're trying to choke me with them in which case I fight back) which hasn't happened to me here.