Why do Americans love space movies?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014

What makes space a good setting for a story? What about space adventure appeals to Americans?

For me Space Balls may have been the best, even though the jokes were crude and low brow. Been a long time since I've seen that one however, I was a young lad then with a sense of humour. :redface:

Last edited:
Space today is what seafaring was 500 years ago. A vast unknown where anything can happen. This makes great background for any story. And since all of the movies and books written about space are fiction as we have barely left our planet, there is no limit to the stories that can be created except for the imagination. Star Wars imagines an entire other galaxy.

Consider the movie Alien. It could easily be imagined on a ship on the ocean with a creature loose killing everyone. There have been a number of movies made of this story before and after Alien came out.

Add to it the satisfaction of people believing we WILL someday travel through space to other stars because of our technical prowess and you have a genre that has no limit.

I have only seen one space film and it is the one named Armageddon.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. The ending of that film in my opinion couldn't have been any more sad.

Folks like space movies today because of the massive leap in 3D animation and effects. It makes sense out of fantasy. Like in Avatar. BUT -- sometimes it's overdone and abusive to the senses and buries any plot or story line.

And to be honest. It's the kind of thing I bought my home theater equipment for !!! :biggrin:

Remember -- the Aliens WON in Avatar.. :banana:

Folks like space movies today because of the massive leap in 3D animation and effects. It makes sense out of fantasy. Like in Avatar. BUT -- sometimes it's overdone and abusive to the senses and buries any plot or story line.

And to be honest. It's the kind of thing I bought my home theater equipment for !!! :biggrin:

Remember -- the Aliens WON in Avatar..

Thanks for running the ending.

I hadn't seen it yet.

pssst, I had no intention of watching it anyway.

I hadn't seen it yet.

I thought my computer froze up there or something for a second -- you "spacing cadet".. :biggrin: How can you NOT want to see something that iconic? Trust me -- you've never seen a film or story of that genre done that well. Not YET -- anyways..

I hadn't seen it yet.

Dumbledore kills Darth Vader.

I hadn't seen it yet.

Dumbledore kills Darth Vader.

I remember

Holly

I took my 5 year old daughter to that movie.. she cried and cried

I think that maybe the main reason people love space movies (or other sci-fi movies) is the same reason many people love fantasy: they don't live a good life, their life is really ugly and they try to drown their sadness into a "fantasy world" :(
It seems to be very common nowadays :frown:

"Space, the final frontier..."

Nothing tickles the imagination more than the unknown

I think that maybe the main reason people love space movies (or other sci-fi movies) is the same reason many people love fantasy: they don't live a good life, their life is really ugly and they try to drown their sadness into a "fantasy world" :(

A friend of mine tells me Vietnam has one hell of a golf course and is becoming a nice place to visit.

A friend of mine tells me Vietnam has one hell of a golf course and is becoming a nice place to visit.
I know there's a golf course here in Ho Chi Minh City. At least one but maybe it's not the only one :)
Vietnam is a beautiful place to visit but be careful because our weather is really hot japyes.gif

I know there's a golf course here in Ho Chi Minh City. At least one but maybe it's not the only one :)
Vietnam is a beautiful place to visit but be careful because our weather is really hot View attachment 123863

Yes you have the wet heat. ..

Holly

Every time I hear Armageddon movie it reminds me of my friend that had a massive heart attack 13 years ago. He was gone twice but they put him back twice using defibrillator.
He is one of those lucky survivors that faded in and out --------- that saw the light due to lack of oxygen in his brain. He told us that during one one of those experienced ------- he was struggling, painful hard to breath, suddenly bright lights -------- then saw himself playing with his 3 children in his back yards. He had quadruple bypass.
His best description was and is--------- Just like the end of the movie Armageddon when Bruce Willis suddenly saw his daughter playing.
Several months after that ordeal. He joined those group conversation here in Southern California San Francisco and Dallas that had similar experiences. Apparently lots of them suffered severe depression and suicidal thoughts.
From what he gathered after 11 or 12 years with different groups all over.

He told us that survivors that saw lights fall into these categories-------- based from they love, like, missed, hate, just simply bright lights, something they believe or just an image.
They don't know what the image was but for religious people they claimed they saw god.
But best described their experienced and became their standard is ------------ Just like the end of the movie ARMAGEDDON.

Forum List

Back