Why do Americans hate Congress but like their Reps

David Kraljic

Rookie
Oct 26, 2014
Why do Americans hate Congress but like their Reps? Congress approval ratings is some where in the teens. Yet incumbents get re-elected at a rate of 70%. How is that possible. The two seem to contradict each other. I have all the actual stats, if needed, although I think you all get the question.

That's because the average voter thinks they make good choices, but everybody else is stupid. That's how we get Republican majorities and gridlock. Vote Democratic and free the country from the chains of stupidity.

1. Gerrymandering (by both parties) clumps like-minded voters together.

2. Lesser of Two Evils mentality: Voting against someone rather than voting for someone.

Think most Americans would be hard-pressed telling which is which. :)
Yes I agree. The sats about the percentage of people who are registered as "independent" or "no-party" are evidence - at least that they really don't know or care or like either Republican or Democratic parties.

Why do Americans hate Congress but like their Reps? Congress approval ratings is some where in the teens. Yet incumbents get re-elected at a rate of 70%. How is that possible. The two seem to contradict each other. I have all the actual stats, if needed, although I think you all get the question.

That rate will be way down this election. It's vote for the other guy now or I'm to lazy and unmotivated to vote, so I wont.

Yeah - it will be really interesting to see if the re-election rate goes down this election. You'd think it would - presuming of course that people really are upset about Congressional gridlock.

I disagree with the general idea that people are lazy. Instead, I think (and I'm basing this on my own past experiences) people don't know how to decide. Decision fatigue sets in. This is the process I used to go through:

Ok, it is time to vote. Hmm... I've been listening to tv, radio, read a few articles. Now I'm hearing all the mud-slinging ads. It that stuff really true. Geez, how do I figure this out. (Ok, now it is becoming hard work, investigative reporting practically). I wan't to vote but can't spend the next 48 Hours looking up the truth about people on the ballot. Frustration and guilt set in. Now I either say "forget it" or "Ok, fine I'll vote for the guy already in - I saw him on TV a few times, I'm kinda familiar with him, seems like he is ok".

So I challenge the group to come up with a guide: How to make decide who you should vote for. What would a set of logical steps be?

I always thought this would make a cool documentary - interviewing the people who approve of congress.

I don't like my reps!! The rep from my district is a bona fide Obama-boot-licker -- Ed Perlmutter. Sycophant liberal.

I always thought this would make a cool documentary - interviewing the people who approve of congress.
YEA!! I don't know if I'd be able to pull off a "documentary" film but can probably do some sort of web based version. It would make a ton of sense for our site (which I won't mention for forum rules reasons). What do you have in mind?

Forum List

Back