Why Did Obama Pardon these People?

As I recall Bush actually pardoned himself from Iran contra, his pardon for ALL those involved was so broad.

the Bush pardon also brings into question how do you pardon someone not yet convicted? does a pardon mean they are guilty of what they are being pardoned for?

The retroactive pardon. I think only if they can later be found guilty. But the elite live the "Other World," and all have the get out of jail card FREE.

So Pappy bush had preemptive pardons and Bush II had a preemptive war.

Bush, the preemptive dynasty.
Jeb/Sarah 2012.

As I recall Bush actually pardoned himself from Iran contra, his pardon for ALL those involved was so broad.

the Bush pardon also brings into question how do you pardon someone not yet convicted? does a pardon mean they are guilty of what they are being pardoned for?

No, a pardon legally declares them not guilty, and restores all citizenship rights, including the right to bear arms, vote, and even serve in the military.

The Daily Astorian - Astoria, Oregon

Am I alone in thinking a president should issue a statement explaining the reason for every pardon given? Why won't this president explain himself? I'm not saying whether these people should have been pardoned or not, just that whom a president chooses to pardon can tell us a lot about the president's character and what (s)he stands for. Why won't they address the question of why these individuals were chosen and pardoned by the president?
Ya' wanna start, now, huh???? :rolleyes:

"The widely and justly criticized pardons of Caspar Weinberger and other Iran-Contra defendants by George Herbert Walker Bush should have been just the beginning of that story. Yet, for reasons best known to the incorruptible watchdogs of the Washington press corps, Poppy's self-interested mercy upon Weinberger instigated no searching examination of the other pardons granted by the departing president. Indeed, the final dozen pardons given by Bush -- including the unexplained release of a Pakistani heroin trafficker -- received virtually no coverage at all."

Hey, genius, people questioned those and Clinton's pardons, too

Try looking past your partisan idiocy
So....what?.....Obama should have shown more-Presidential form, by going-thru the archives.....and, pardoned more-deserving members o' the Bush/Prescott opium-years????? :eusa_eh:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama has granted the first pardons of his presidency, to nine people convicted of crimes including possessing drugs, counterfeiting and even mutilating coins.
No one well-known was on the list, and some of the crimes dated back decades or had drawn little more than a slap on the wrist in the first place - such as the Pennsylvania man sentenced in 1963 to probation and a $20 fine for mutilating coins. The White House didn't explain the charge, but tampering with federal currency is a crime.
The White House declined to give details on the cases or comment on why these particular people were selected by a president who previously had only pardoned Thanksgiving turkeys.
The Daily Astorian - Astoria, Oregon

Am I alone in thinking a president should issue a statement explaining the reason for every pardon given? Why won't this president explain himself? I'm not saying whether these people should have been pardoned or not, just that whom a president chooses to pardon can tell us a lot about the president's character and what (s)he stands for. Why won't they address the question of why these individuals were chosen and pardoned by the president?

I bet it had something to do with pardoning the turkey on thanksgiving.

The coin mutilation is a thrower. Flatten a penny on the rail road track & go to jail. Then they run through a machine and imprint some words on them. Or you join a group where you put your name on $20. bills & spend them, and see where the bill ends up in the World, by bill watchers. Go to jail huh?
Absolutely!

Now.....if that turkey had been more-heavily-involved in the weapons/drug-business, Obama could have (at least) appeared to have deferred to "conservative"-interests, as well!

(That could also have appealed to "conservatives'" preference for some kind o' body-count.)​

No, a pardon legally declares them not guilty, and restores all citizenship rights, including the right to bear arms, vote, and even serve in the military.

Not guilty of what? Most all of them had not even been charged with a crime, or even investigated.

1. exempt guilty party from punishment: to officially release from any, or any further, punishment somebody who has committed a crime or wrongdoing
2. forgive guilty party: to forgive somebody who has committed a crime or wrongdoing
3. excuse somebody for something impolite: to excuse an impolite act or a person committing one

define pardon - Bing DICTIONARY

The action of an executive official of the government that mitigates or sets aside the punishment for a crime.

The granting of a pardon to a person who has committed a crime or who has been convicted of a crime is an act of clemency, which forgives the wrongdoer and restores the person's Civil Rights. At the federal level, the president has the power to grant a pardon, and at the state level the governor or a pardon board made up of high-ranking state officials may grant it.

The power to grant a pardon derives from the English system in which the king had, as one of his royal prerogatives, the right to forgive virtually all forms of crimes against the crown. The Framers of the U.S. Constitution, in Article II, Section 2, Clause 1, provided that the president "shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment." Throughout U.S. history the courts have interpreted this clause to give the president virtually unlimited power to issue pardons to individuals or groups and to impose conditions on the forgiveness.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Presidential+pardon

Last edited:

Forum List

Back