Why did John McCain not resign as Congressman?

The question begs, you are 234 years old and dying of cancer and on hospice, but you DON'T resign as Congressman?

What gives?

Is John McCain the poster boy for term limits?

He hadn't been a Congressman for decades. Since then, he had been a Senator.

Are you wondering why he didn't resign as a Senator? Not sure it really matters. That was his prerogative. I suspect it was for a variety of reasons, to include his health care coverage being tied to his seat.

He is a retired Navy Captain, His health care is already covered before he ever set foot in Congress.

Health insurance? I'm not a fan but the poor guy was dying so I cut him some slack on this.

I'm pretty sure that their health insurance is life long whether they retire or not.

Could be wrong though.

If it did expire, I'd be terrified with Obamacare as well.

His wife is worth over $100 million, medical expenses weren't an issue.

According to a politico article I read a few days ago they signed a prenup and kept their finances separate their entire lives.

That wouldn't make a difference,one spouse is still responsible to take care of medical bills of the other.

His medical coverage is covered as a retired Navy Captain and member of Congress for over 30 years.

You people are grasping at straws. He didn't resign because he didn't think he should. Simple enough. If he wasn't capable, the Senate should have kicked him out.

The question begs, you are 234 years old and dying of cancer and on hospice, but you DON'T resign as Congressman?

What gives?

How about because he was a Senator, not a Congressman?

Congressman covers both House and Senate, although it is more commonly used for House members.
"There are 535 members of Congress, 100 Senators and 435 Representatives"
If he had said Representative...…………..

Health insurance? I'm not a fan but the poor guy was dying so I cut him some slack on this.

I'm pretty sure that their health insurance is life long whether they retire or not.

Could be wrong though.

If it did expire, I'd be terrified with Obamacare as well.

His wife is worth over $100 million, medical expenses weren't an issue.

According to a politico article I read a few days ago they signed a prenup and kept their finances separate their entire lives.

He was only worth $14 million...…….

What gives?

Congressman covers both House and Senate, although it is more commonly used for House members.

Traditionally, Senators are not referred to as Congressmen except by people who don't know better. Does that include you?

What gives?

Traditionally, Senators are not referred to as Congressmen except by people who don't know better. Does that include you?

Traditionally

Yup. Traditionally, Senators are too fancy to be referred to by the also correct term, Congressman.

What gives?

Are you wondering why he didn't resign as a Senator? Not sure it really matters. That was his prerogative. I suspect it was for a variety of reasons, to include his health care coverage being tied to his seat.

He is a retired Navy Captain, His health care is already covered before he ever set foot in Congress.

That's a good point. Then again, we all know that VA care isn't always the best. Either way, there are bigger fish to fry.

What gives?

Traditionally

Yup. Traditionally, Senators are too fancy to be referred to by the also correct term, Congressman.

Thank you for admitting the truth! :D

What gives?

That's a good point. Then again, we all know that VA care isn't always the best. Either way, there are bigger fish to fry.

The VA does not normally care for veterans with health care insurance. My son is a disabled veteran and is covered by the VA. Once again you are in error by making assumptions.

What gives?

Traditionally

I admit, they're all Members of Congress, they're all Congressmen and Congresswomen.
I also admit that most of them are useless, or worse.

Traditionally

I admit, they're all Members of Congress, they're all Congressmen and Congresswomen.
I also admit that most of them are useless, or worse.

Careful! Is it PC to assume a Congressman's gender as being a woman? :D

What gives?

The VA does not normally care for veterans with health care insurance. My son is a disabled veteran and is covered by the VA. Once again you are in error by making assumptions.

Oh, for the love of god, I was just suggesting that keeping his Congressional medical plan might have been more attractive to McCain than losing coverage and having to switch to the VA, given the problems the VA has faced in recent years. The weird thing about this is that you're the one who suggested that health care likely wasn't a factor because of his veteran status. But now what you're saying it wouldn't matter. Get your story straight.

What gives?

Oh, for the love of god, I was just suggesting that keeping his Congressional medical plan might have been more attractive to McCain than losing coverage and having to switch to the VA, given the problems the VA has faced in recent years. The weird thing about this is that you're the one who suggested that health care likely wasn't a factor because of his veteran status. But now what you're saying it wouldn't matter. Get your story straight.

I can't help it if you are ignorant and assume all veterans get VA care. Retired veterans and veterans are two different animals. They don't get the same benefits! That is your error. Retired members of the military have a program called TriCare, which is also for military dependents.

Why did John McCain not resign as Congressman?

Power, prestige, an asterisk in the history books. Goldwater gets retired or former senator beside his name. McShitstain gets died in office.

I can't help it if you are ignorant and assume all veterans get VA care.

I never said that. You're hallucinating.

Read your posts again. You seem to think retired veterans, which McCain was, would be covered by the VA which is not generally true.

I never said that. You're hallucinating. You are the one who said that his healthcare would be covered by his veteran status. You said it. Do you have a multiple personality problem?

When a Senator dies in office, it's traditional to appoint their spouse. This might be the case.

Don't think that will happen, she would have to divest herself of the family business.

Why?
Exactly! Why would she have to if Senator McCain did not have to do such?

Isn't the family business a beverage company??

They had a firewall between their assets, it's called a prenup, he was worth about 23 million, she's worth a bit less than 300 million.

Forum List

Back