Why Connor Lamb Won

Conor Lamb won because:

1. He'll oppose Trump

Not really. He remained relatively neutral on Trump.
Because Trump won his district by 20 points. In the next election he won't have the GOP's criminal gerrymandering to deal with.

I think the Dems need to move beyond the Republican playbook of "anti-" - they need to forumulate a coherent message that goes beyond "Trump is horrible" (even though I agree) if they want to build on this.
Maybe for 2020. Right now, the metaphorical asteroid is still speeding towards Earth and all I care about is stopping it.
Wow that was profound and how most of us feel. Thanks for articulating it.

Lamb won in part due to his positions on a blend of National and local issues; he appealed to the Democratic base as well as moderate independents and weak Republicans.

In part due to an unpopular president.

In part to an energized Democratic Party.

And in part to a demoralized Republican Party and poor Republican candidate.

I don't think most of that had anything to do with his win. That's just the reality you want.
I’m just listing the facts. I know they confuse you.

No, you are listening to the voices in your head and they are confusing you
I see you couldn’t even list one point where I was wrong. You’re obviously not very bright but that seems to be a prerequite to be a mod here.

Oh, I can. I just don't typically waste my time on partisan extremists like yourself.

The 18th district is a socially conservative, economic populist district and Conor Lamb tapped into that better than Rick Saccone did. He ran as a strong supporter of unions, which are popular among the blue collar demographic in that part of the state. He also ran to the right and made a point of emphasizing he would be representative of the district and not San Fran Nan, whom he said he will not support as Speaker. He didn't harp on fanatical dogma like climate change, in the middle of coal country. He opposes gun control. He is a young, handsome marine, and had a great fund raising machine behind him. He also comes from a strong political family.

Saccone is old, low energy, and anti-union which doesn't play well around those parts. His fund raising efforts were anemic. The national party was criticizing him weeks ago for not taking the race as seriously as he should. Tim Murphy was the perfect balance of social conservatism and strong union rights which is why no Democrats could ever touch him. Combine all of this with Trump's polarization, I'm surprised Lamb didn't win by more.
" He didn't harp on fanatical dogma like climate change, in the middle of coal country. "
I bet you he believes in the science of climate change as you so incorrectly state it as ” fanatical dogma."
He's way too smart for that which widely separates him from most republicans and most definitely from this bat shit crazy climate change denier president.

You see, while Saccone won most of the district, Lamb won the part that counted, the high population always blue upper middle area in Allegheny County where the democrats always win.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 3.17.47 AM.png

Even at that, he only won by a mere 627 votes and that might not hold (though unlikely). Part of what worked against Saccone wasn't that Lamb will fight Trump (what a stupid suggestion, see below), but the recent school shootings and Saccone's being seen as a strong ally to the NRA. Though the NRA bears no blame, the liberal media made it a public perception and people didn't want to be seen as siding against the kids. It's an empty victory because the Supreme Court is forcing Pa to redraw all of its boundaries this fall so to those who think this was a sign of fighting against Trump, it will only be one for less than 8 more months when Lamb will lose his district and will have to start the battle all over again. If the public sees that Lamb wasn't sincere in his promises of being a much more central moderate democrat, his support is going to vanish.

Conor Lamb won because:

1. He'll oppose Trump
Or he will go along if trump compromises which he will if you believe what he wrote in his book.

Trumps the most liberal republican since reagan

And yet you far left drones are here support someone who ran as a conservative and denounced the far left religion, such one of the ranking leaders Pelosi.

Another nail in the coffin of the far left religion.
Let’s kill the far left and far right

Considering how close the election was, he won because he was better looking than Saccone. I guarantee you he got a few thousand "Ooooh he's cute" votes.
Trump won by 22. Something’s wrong and you cons refuse to acknowledge it
I can't acknowledge what I do not see. Enlighten me, what exactly is wrong with America now? Looks pretty awesome to me!
Looks like voters are rejecting trump

Considering how close the election was, he won because he was better looking than Saccone. I guarantee you he got a few thousand "Ooooh he's cute" votes.
I can't acknowledge what I do not see. Enlighten me, what exactly is wrong with America now? Looks pretty awesome to me!
Oh, yes. :yes_text12:

Oh, yes. :yes_text12:
Daniel Bryant?

I like Lamb's platform...would be nice to see it reflected in Democrat's national platform.

Lamb tried to pass himself off as a conservative, why would any far left drone like him?

Also he denounced Pelosi, maybe that is the real reason he won..

A hint of things to come for the far left, that it is time to move the Dems back to the center and not be so far to the left.

Perhaps so. Both parties have moved so far to the ends that there is no place for moderates. I think it is time for Pelosi to step down so there is room for new blood.

Conor Lamb campaigned:
1. For universal health care
2. Against Trump’s tax cut
3. For expanded background checks
4. For stronger unions
5. Against cuts to Social Security
6. For a woman’s right to choose
7. For medical marijuana
If he won it's because stupid media fed imbeciles elected him.

Lamb shit-holed Nancy Peolosi and embraced Trump's policies while pretending to be liberal. That is the DNC's strategy this election cycle. Trump is a winner and they know it..
Lamb ran on what that district wanted and needed, not national politics and that included strong unions and natural gas. He is a native son, and a marine. He did not win because of Trump. Saccone lost despite Trump.

" He didn't harp on fanatical dogma like climate change, in the middle of coal country. "
I bet you he believes in the science of climate change as you so incorrectly state it as ” fanatical dogma."
He's way too smart for that which widely separates him from most republicans and most definitely from this bat shit crazy climate change denier president.

He may very well believe in it, but he didn't make it an issue in his campaign, tard. That's the point you don't seem to get. You think he won based on that list of far left issues you came up with in your OP. He did the exact opposite. He ran a smart race knowing what his constituency wanted to hear and didn't want to hear.

I don't think most of that had anything to do with his win. That's just the reality you want.

I agree: Priorities - Conor Lamb

He stuck to the issues that were important locally.

And if the Dems re-take congress and propose things like weapon bans he will caucus with his party, and be tossed out on he ass the cycle after that.

They portrayed him as a moderate, but we all know dems take party over people.

Who Is Conor Lamb, Apparent Winner Of The Pennsylvania Special Election?

"The biggest issues facing the 18th Congressional District aren't partisan," his campaign website reads. "Heroin kills both Democrats and Republicans. Health care is too expensive. The roads and bridges we all use are crumbling. But the people we send to Washington aren't solving these problems. I'm running for Congress because it's time for that to change."

So he fed them some lines, and if the Dems take over in 2018 he will ignore his promises and vote party line.

If the dems were filled with Lamb's the government would run better...the nuts in the democrat party's days are numbered...a more centrist democrat party could end up being another win for the Donald...and a win for America...it's time for the Pelosi's and Schumer's to go...

Hell if the Republican Party was filled with ethical people like Lamb just imagine what they could accomplish.

A centrist Republican who believes in a women's right to choice?

There was a day when that kind of Republican could get elected.

I agree: Priorities - Conor Lamb

He stuck to the issues that were important locally.

And if the Dems re-take congress and propose things like weapon bans he will caucus with his party, and be tossed out on he ass the cycle after that.

They portrayed him as a moderate, but we all know dems take party over people.

LOL- coming from the party that attacks dedicated party members like McCain if they dare step out of the narrow path of GOP Trumpism that is rich.

Forum List

Back