Why can't people be more open minded?

Lutraphile, you are doing nothing but spewing a stereotype you have been fed.
Either that, or as I have seen, racists seem to attract other racists....
Look to NYC, Philly, Chicago, DC, you will find more segregation in those cities. Look at the large cities with Democratic strongholds. Each race seems to have their delegated neighborhoods. And few cross those lines.

Why does the south seem to inevitably push for school vouchers? Because the most in the south want equal opportunity for all.

I live in the south. There is definitely still racism here, not to mention homophobia and extremely negative attitudes towards non-Christians. Having said that, it is getting better, albeit slowly.
Where do you live at Alabama Mississippi ? I don't see racism at all in the upstate of south Carolina or even read about it, the north is by far more racist and segregated I never even seen a black kid in grade school in the northwest burbs of Chicago growing up.
Virginia in theory, but Tennessee really (I'm right on the line and it is very much the south culturally). There are an awful lot of "I'm not racist but..." style statements and a lot of the Obama hatred in this area is pretty openly racist- I went to a Romney rally in 2012 and while Romney himself stuck to his stump speech the local Tea Party people who presented him on stage and basically ran the event very much did not, referred to him as "Hussein" and even as "African."

Ask Dr. NerdLove A Nerd In Jock s Clothing

One of the comments says this.
"Living in the South basically makes it constant Hard Mode to find partners unless you fit into a very very narrow sort of lifestyle."

Southerners why do you have to be so backwards? Why can't you be more open minded? Can someone be both a fan of DnD and posses athletic ability? What can be done to help the south?

Would you be disappointed if your kids became nerds? Do be afraid of you kids getting interested in nerdy stuff as long as it is balanced with other activities?

Not sure why this topic is fixated on one geographic region. Open-mindedness is a far bigger subject than just the South. It's honestly not even a regional issue. You could ask the same questions of oppressive regimes in Africa like Somalia and Sudan or Boko Haram. A lack of open-mindedness is a global issue more than anything.

I live in the south. There is definitely still racism here, not to mention homophobia and extremely negative attitudes towards non-Christians. Having said that, it is getting better, albeit slowly.
Where do you live at Alabama Mississippi ? I don't see racism at all in the upstate of south Carolina or even read about it, the north is by far more racist and segregated I never even seen a black kid in grade school in the northwest burbs of Chicago growing up.
Virginia in theory, but Tennessee really (I'm right on the line and it is very much the south culturally). There are an awful lot of "I'm not racist but..." style statements and a lot of the Obama hatred in this area is pretty openly racist- I went to a Romney rally in 2012 and while Romney himself stuck to his stump speech the local Tea Party people who presented him on stage and basically ran the event very much did not, referred to him as "Hussein" and even as "African."

To be perfectly honest, the bit in red is not at all racist. Hussein is his middle name and he is of Kenyan (and thus African) birth. Are they playing up the fact that his middle name is of Arabic descent and his heritage is partially non-Caucasian? Certainly. Did they come out and say that some other race is better? Doesn't look like it.

I think the word you're looking for is not racism, but prejudice. There's a pretty distinct difference between the 2.

Give me a break, we all work together down here, people open doors for me as much as I do them, they will come up to me at a Gas station and just shoot the breeze, way different down here
I was taken aback at a Waffle House in Mobile how sweetly black customers were greeted by a white waitress. This attitude toward blacks was repeated everywhere I went down there. I witnessed much more interaction between the races than up here in the north.

One thing I found interesting is you don't see young black men wearing their pants below the waist line of their underwear. It's illegal and you'll get a ticket.

Respect is earned when respect is given.

I tend to agree. I also just returned from an annual trip down to Alabama and stayed in Mobile. Really nice people and though that city is honestly quite poor economically and a little behind the times, it has its charm and the people I talked to (mostly black, but a fair amount of white as well) were a pretty big part of that. Does make us Northerners appear to be a bit frigid along with our weather. I don't really think that's true though myself.

I think when you repeatedly draw attention to a minority's race in a speech not about race, it is pretty much implied.

Ask Dr. NerdLove A Nerd In Jock s Clothing

One of the comments says this.
"Living in the South basically makes it constant Hard Mode to find partners unless you fit into a very very narrow sort of lifestyle."

Southerners why do you have to be so backwards? Why can't you be more open minded? Can someone be both a fan of DnD and posses athletic ability? What can be done to help the south?

Would you be disappointed if your kids became nerds? Do be afraid of you kids getting interested in nerdy stuff as long as it is balanced with other activities?

Not sure why this topic is fixated on one geographic region. Open-mindedness is a far bigger subject than just the South. It's honestly not even a regional issue. You could ask the same questions of oppressive regimes in Africa like Somalia and Sudan or Boko Haram. A lack of open-mindedness is a global issue more than anything.

To be perfectly honest, the bit in red is not at all racist. Hussein is his middle name and he is of Kenyan (and thus African) birth. Are they playing up the fact that his middle name is of Arabic descent and his heritage is partially non-Caucasian? Certainly. Did they come out and say that some other race is better? Doesn't look like it.

I think the word you're looking for is not racism, but prejudice. There's a pretty distinct difference between the 2.

Give me a break, we all work together down here, people open doors for me as much as I do them, they will come up to me at a Gas station and just shoot the breeze, way different down here
I was taken aback at a Waffle House in Mobile how sweetly black customers were greeted by a white waitress. This attitude toward blacks was repeated everywhere I went down there. I witnessed much more interaction between the races than up here in the north.

One thing I found interesting is you don't see young black men wearing their pants below the waist line of their underwear. It's illegal and you'll get a ticket.

Respect is earned when respect is given.

I tend to agree. I also just returned from an annual trip down to Alabama and stayed in Mobile. Really nice people and though that city is honestly quite poor economically and a little behind the times, it has its charm and the people I talked to (mostly black, but a fair amount of white as well) were a pretty big part of that. Does make us Northerners appear to be a bit frigid along with our weather. I don't really think that's true though myself.

I think when you repeatedly draw attention to a minority's race in a speech not about race, it is pretty much implied.

Even then....the implication of racism still doesn't amount to actual racism. I just don't read it that way personally.

Thus reminds me of two storys to tell when I was inbetween jobs during the recession and refused to collect unemployment
One as a taxi cab driver:

For 3 months I worked that job 6pm to 6 am 6 days a week, my only fares we're drug dealers, drugs buyers , prostitutes, some college kids, some girls night out, some a white woman leaving her husband, some white girls wanting to get crack. What ever, but none of my packages ever messed with me and I drove them to the worse parts of town, guess what this moral is you don't get in there business they don't mess with you and it was fun as hell, you just talked and laugh about other stuff

The other job
Worked as a carpenter remodeling Walmart s for a Year, every job was 10 weeks, 7/10 well we had a job up in Wisconsin, for a week up there I was perplexed , I thought to myself what's missing here? And it dawned on me I didn't see one damn person of color.

Last edited:
Living in the South is no problem. Donate half of the brains God gave a goat to charity, and hide the rest in the local church fund. Now add a white hood, a burning cross, a gun rack, the Stars and Bars, a case of cheap beer, a cousin you want to marry, and there you go, you're a Southerner.

Be OpenMinded like the brains in Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Baltimore.

Living in the South is no problem. Donate half of the brains God gave a goat to charity, and hide the rest in the local church fund. Now add a white hood, a burning cross, a gun rack, the Stars and Bars, a case of cheap beer, a cousin you want to marry, and there you go, you're a Southerner.

Yeah, this is the type of open-mindedness the OP is clearly referring to.

The Shield comic book came out today!

NA-116393.jpg

I think I'm finally starting to understand you. Franco donated half his brains to a goat, burned half of what was left for heat and half the the remaining to grease his guns, then saw stars when hit in the head with a bar. So to kill the pain he got drunk off cheap beer in Vegas and married his cousin and nine months later you were born.

I didn't find southerners racist at all. Maybe you should visit there sometime.
Interesting. Next time try living there instead, tourist.

I do. And I have not experienced anything you described.

I have always had educated and intelligent friends, dated a variety of women, and found there to be less actual racism than I experienced outside the south. There are those down here who talk a little trash, but they get along with each other. I don't recall any blacks being beaten to death for walking thru the wrong neighborhood, as has happened in the northeast. The hispanics are not reviled as they are in the southwest. And we have plenty of high tech jobs in some areas, with rural areas for those who prefer them. The medical facilities rival any in the world. And the college football is king of the hill.

I've been here in east Tennessee since the summer of 1996 but before moving here, I was just south of the Ohio river in northern Kentucky for ten years and to me, it isn't about where a person is. It is about what makes sense to the person.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back