Why can't people be more open minded?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ask Dr. NerdLove A Nerd In Jock s Clothing

One of the comments says this.
"Living in the South basically makes it constant Hard Mode to find partners unless you fit into a very very narrow sort of lifestyle."

Southerners why do you have to be so backwards? Why can't you be more open minded? Can someone be both a fan of DnD and posses athletic ability? What can be done to help the south?

Would you be disappointed if your kids became nerds? Do be afraid of you kids getting interested in nerdy stuff as long as it is balanced with other activities?

Living in the South is no problem. Donate half of the brains God gave a goat to charity, and hide the rest in the local church fund. Now add a white hood, a burning cross, a gun rack, the Stars and Bars, a case of cheap beer, a cousin you want to marry, and there you go, you're a Southerner.

Uh, someone knows nothing about the south.Or just an attempt to sterotype everyone there, just because.

"Living in the South basically makes it constant Hard Mode to find partners unless you fit into a very very narrow sort of lifestyle."

Southerners why do you have to be so backwards? Why can't you be more open minded? Can someone be both a fan of DnD and posses athletic ability? What can be done to help the south?

Would you be disappointed if your kids became nerds? Do be afraid of you kids getting interested in nerdy stuff as long as it is balanced with other activities?

Living in the South is no problem. Donate half of the brains God gave a goat to charity, and hide the rest in the local church fund. Now add a white hood, a burning cross, a gun rack, the Stars and Bars, a case of cheap beer, a cousin you want to marry, and there you go, you're a Southerner.
I didn't find southerners racist at all. Maybe you should visit there sometime.

maybe you need to be more open minded. Maybe you need to accept that a mother and father are very important in the development of our children. Maybe you should understand that some of the cultural traditions were used for a reason.

And I certainly support some of your economic views too.

Interesting. Next time try living there instead, tourist.

I live in the south. There is definitely still racism here, not to mention homophobia and extremely negative attitudes towards non-Christians. Having said that, it is getting better, albeit slowly.

If he ever visited anywhere in the real world he wouldn't spew most of the bullshit he pollutes the forum with.

There is a very real reason the term "Conservative" is notated as "Unwilling or unable to change".

The problem is, what happens to the Fiscal Conservatives in a Sea of prehistoric brains?

I live in the south. There is definitely still racism here, not to mention homophobia and extremely negative attitudes towards non-Christians. Having said that, it is getting better, albeit slowly.
Where do you live at Alabama Mississippi ? I don't see racism at all in the upstate of south Carolina or even read about it, the north is by far more racist and segregated I never even seen a black kid in grade school in the northwest burbs of Chicago growing up.

Where do you live at Alabama Mississippi ? I don't see racism at all in the upstate of south Carolina or even read about it, the north is by far more racist and segregated I never even seen a black kid in grade school in the northwest burbs of Chicago growing up.
Virginia in theory, but Tennessee really (I'm right on the line and it is very much the south culturally). There are an awful lot of "I'm not racist but..." style statements and a lot of the Obama hatred in this area is pretty openly racist- I went to a Romney rally in 2012 and while Romney himself stuck to his stump speech the local Tea Party people who presented him on stage and basically ran the event very much did not, referred to him as "Hussein" and even as "African."

Virginia in theory, but Tennessee really (I'm right on the line and it is very much the south culturally). There are an awful lot of "I'm not racist but..." style statements and a lot of the Obama hatred in this area is pretty openly racist- I went to a Romney rally in 2012 and while Romney himself stuck to his stump speech the local Tea Party people who presented him on stage and basically ran the event very much did not, referred to him as "Hussein" and even as "African."
Oh I been through that area before, you are right.

"Where do you live at Alabama Mississippi ? I don't see racism at all" - People that aren't bigots often mention that bigots never notice or understand their own bigotry. I didn't when I was a raised bigot. But I learned. Research the term "profiling". It can teach many, a lot.

Give me a break, we all work together down here, people open doors for me as much as I do them, they will come up to me at a Gas station and just shoot the breeze, way different down here

i love the narrow minded telling us how narrow minded we are...but thats okay...since apparently its okay to hate the south now.....

i am a liberal democrat living in a red state....only thing i truly dislike is people telling me how i am

Correct. That liberal, Democrat controlled city of Chicago keeps black folks holed up in South Chicago. I didn't see that in Mobile Alabama.

Give me a break, we all work together down here, people open doors for me as much as I do them, they will come up to me at a Gas station and just shoot the breeze, way different down here
I was taken aback at a Waffle House in Mobile how sweetly black customers were greeted by a white waitress. This attitude toward blacks was repeated everywhere I went down there. I witnessed much more interaction between the races than up here in the north.

One thing I found interesting is you don't see young black men wearing their pants below the waist line of their underwear. It's illegal and you'll get a ticket.

Respect is earned when respect is given.

Last edited:

Not sure why this topic is fixated on one geographic region. Open-mindedness is a far bigger subject than just the South. It's honestly not even a regional issue. You could ask the same questions of oppressive regimes in Africa like Somalia and Sudan or Boko Haram. A lack of open-mindedness is a global issue more than anything.

To be perfectly honest, the bit in red is not at all racist. Hussein is his middle name and he is of Kenyan (and thus African) birth. Are they playing up the fact that his middle name is of Arabic descent and his heritage is partially non-Caucasian? Certainly. Did they come out and say that some other race is better? Doesn't look like it.

I think the word you're looking for is not racism, but prejudice. There's a pretty distinct difference between the 2.

I was taken aback at a Waffle House in Mobile how sweetly black customers were greeted by a white waitress. This attitude toward blacks was repeated everywhere I went down there. I witnessed much more interaction between the races than up here in the north.

One thing I found interesting is you don't see young black men wearing their pants below the waist line of their underwear. It's illegal and you'll get a ticket.

Respect is earned when respect is given.

I tend to agree. I also just returned from an annual trip down to Alabama and stayed in Mobile. Really nice people and though that city is honestly quite poor economically and a little behind the times, it has its charm and the people I talked to (mostly black, but a fair amount of white as well) were a pretty big part of that. Does make us Northerners appear to be a bit frigid along with our weather. I don't really think that's true though myself.

Born and bred, honey. And you are so off the mark you are obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed. Do mamy southerners have a strong belief system? Yes. Do they think charity begins at home? Yes. White hoods? Only on winter coats. Do they believe this country as it was founded, is great? Yes. Do they believe in the second amendment? Yes. So far as marrying first cousins? We actually have laws against that for good reasons. Oddly enough, New Jersey, New York, and California find it perfectly ok to do just that.

And true southerners are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Now, would you like to start over?
Interesting. Next time try living there instead, tourist.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back