Why Can’t A Daca Bill Sail Through Congress?

This is all what Daca is about :mad-61:

DACA is about young people, brought here as children. They didn't have a choice. ...

That is not the case for a great many of them.

If they are underage when they came here then yes...they did not have a choice.

You never had a choice in anything you did before you turned 18? Really?

I would have been hard pressed not to move with my parents. Perhaps between 16-18...more choice. But younger? Seriously? Minors are minors.

Why Can’t A Daca Bill Sail Through Congress?

...Obama showed how DACA could 'sail' right PAST Congress...

:p

DACA is about young people, brought here as children. They didn't have a choice. ...

The influence a parent has on a child is grossly under appreciated.

I would have been hard pressed not to move with my parents. Perhaps between 16-18...more choice. But younger? Seriously? Minors are minors.

You are naive.

Well, these dreamers have been children of the USA for a good long while. What do we expect of them anyway? When little Pedro turned 9 and found out he was brought here illegally, he should have escaped back to Mexico or called the cops on his parents maybe? There's no precedent for what's going on but we have people that think it's ok to say that money is speech, that the koch billionaires can pick who gets to be president, that corporations are citizens, and that mitt romney can live in this country and claim the Cayman Islands as his residence for tax purposes. Kinda outrageous, no? Never hear the right wing crybabies on this site complain about that. They mostly bitch about the poor and minorities then wonder why those people vote democrat. We do need immigrants to this country, and we already have them in the form of the dreamers and they're for the most part assimilated to our country.

Part of the problem is that there are a lot of Democrats in Congress who want legal status for *all* illegal aliens--not just the Dreamers and their parents, but *all* illegals. A lot of Democrats also want chain migration to continue and want the flow of illegals into the country to continue (hence their opposition to effective border security). On the other hand, you have a lot of Republicans in Congress who are adamantly opposed to legal status for any illegals besides the Dreamers and who don't want Dreamers to get anything beyond permanent resident status (so they can't vote).

Whether or not there will be a deal will depend greatly on each party's ability to prevent their hardliners from sabotaging a compromise.

fuck dreamers fuck illegals

GOD bless the Law in America

get it?

Well, these dreamers have been children of the USA for a good long while. What do we expect of them anyway? When little Pedro turned 9 and found out he was brought here illegally, he should have escaped back to Mexico or called the cops on his parents maybe? There's no precedent for what's going on but we have people that think it's ok to say that money is speech, that the koch billionaires can pick who gets to be president, that corporations are citizens, and that mitt romney can live in this country and claim the Cayman Islands as his residence for tax purposes. Kinda outrageous, no? Never hear the right wing crybabies on this site complain about that. They mostly bitch about the poor and minorities then wonder why those people vote democrat. We do need immigrants to this country, and we already have them in the form of the dreamers and they're for the most part assimilated to our country.

Come on man...you can’t be serious...what piss poor comparisons...Apples and oranges to nth degree.
Nobody gives two shits about what Mitt Romney does with his own cash....nobody really gives two shits about the Koch Brothers conspiracy theories...that shit is for fucking weirdos to worry about.
However, people do care about their neighborhoods turning to dangerous filth, paying the way for foreigners and Americans losing jobs to illegals...etc
We do need immigrants to this country”
NEGATIVE...We don’t need Mexican immigrants or the “Nightmares” at all...last time I checked we were spoon feeding them....no?

There are better jobs at home, but they would rather be a ward of the state in the US.

Actually, the overwhelming majority come here to work

Unlike conservative depictions of them being murderers, rapists and drug dealers....most are hard workers trying to live under the radar

Come here to work so they can live good in Mexico. They are only here because they don’t have food stamps in Mexico. Say, please school is and point to one wet back who has invented anything? The criteria is, it can not include spray paint, dick tape or gorilla glue. Bet you can’t.
94% of illegal adult males work, 65% pay taxes, and 35 percent own houses. Pass the goddamn SSID card that can't be faked, so we can end this GOP b*******.

What I just heard is, "If you pick a random male illegal immigrant, it is a better bet that he's NOT paying taxes than he is."

I'm not really impressed by your "good" news. 75% of the ones paying taxes are using fraudulent SS numbers, once again harming American Citizens.

Yeah, but that’s a victimless crime. They just want a better life is all.

It is not a victimless crime at all.

IRS doesn’t tell 1 million taxpayers that illegal immigrants stole their Social Security numbers

Fraud by illegal immigrants destroying children’s lives

Actually...we don't need enforcement we need a major overhaul. It's an antiquated cumbersome system full of loopholes and vague categories and people have to wait way to long to enter the country legally..

None of that is true. The majority of our present problem with illegal immigration is that the rule of law has been ignored. Legislation is only as valid as the will to enforce it. When high level politicians decide to not enforce the law they negate the law. (a state of affairs many are fleeing from)

That would require bipartisanship. It can't get done in a budget bill and shouldn't if it's to be lasting and comprehensive.

Unfortunately I'm not sure the odds for bipartisanship are very good.

There is a generous solution on the table, a compromise that grants legal status to the young adults (and they are mostly adults) brought here as minors, and provides an opportunity to apply for citizenship after fulfilling work and education requirements.

If a bipartisan solution is the goal then the Democrats need to step up and support it. All of those folks who care about granting legal status to the adults who have benefited by the generosity of the American taxpayer need to call and demand that their representatives in Congress stop being a part of the problem and embrace the solution.

It maybe useful for everyone to recognize the marginal problem with immigration was created after passing The 14th Amendment. That's the one that lets anyone born on The U.S.A.'s soil become a citizen and so foreigners bypass official channels to immigration because birth itself defines citizenship. (As my mom or my boss told me) The 14th Amendment was passed to close the loophole preventing freed slaves from enjoying citizenship.
As near as I can tell before The Civil War the states had the biggest responsibility in determining citizenship. It'd be interesting to consider returning to that. It'd certainly add diversity to The U.S.A.. On the other hand this world is already diverse; many countries create the same result.

Only the US and Canada recognize 'birthright citizenship' - which results in 'birth tourism' today. There is a proposal in the House to eliminate the Citizenship Clause from the 14 Amendment. I would support that.

There is also the problem of visa overstays. As many as 40%, according to some reports, of the people here illegally are here with expired visas. That too should be addressed.

It sure seems as if everything's gotten really polarized and extreme. Congress is supposed to be about getting people from across the country together to solve common problems. Now it's people picking a side and trying to beat the other one.

Part of the problem is the amount of misinformation out there. Part of the problem is that too many of our government 'servants' are more interested in attaining power over the people than in serving them. Part of the problem is it has become in vogue to pick and choose which laws to enforce and which to ignore without going through the legislative process. The latter alone puts us in banana republic territory.

Forum List

Back