Why Can’t A Daca Bill Sail Through Congress?

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
Ok, lets clear out all the noise and partisanship. The Daca bill has been easily described as four pillars.

End to chain migration
End to lottery
The wall
Pathway to citizenship for dreamers

So fund the 20 billion for wall and security and pass the thing. I would vote for this in a heartbeat. It is a reasonable compromise. I would wager a hundred dollars that if this deal was presented to Americans for a vote it would pass by a super majority. Bring this bill in this simple form to the floor and vote on it. This is not rocket science. I can’t believe that even some of our libs would not support this. Get er done!

I am not convinced on the pathway to citizenship issue. Why is it necessary?

Dreamers cleared thru deep background checks, and only after those waiting for years legally are brought in first.
Ok, lets clear out all the noise and partisanship. The Daca bill has been easily described as four pillars.

End to chain migration
End to lottery
The wall

So fund the 20 billion for wall and security and pass the thing. I would vote for this in a heartbeat. It is a reasonable compromise. I would wager a hundred dollars that if this deal was presented to Americans for a vote it would pass by a super majority. Bring this bill in this simple form to the floor and vote on it. This is not rocket science. I can’t believe that even some of our libs would not support this. Get er done!

I'm not convinced on the end to chain migration. Families are stabilizing elements in a society and having family members there to support an immigrant through the transition to American life is a good thing.

I'm not convinced we need to end the lottery. How about we quit talking about END to something and readjust proportions - increase merit based, decrease lottery.

Wall schmall - I support increasing border security.

End to chain migration
End to lottery
The wall

The thing of it is, the far left wants open boarders and chain migration and has taken a hard line stand on it.
That is exactly why they can't get it passed.

I'm not convinced on the end to chain migration. Families are stabilizing elements in a society and having family members there to support an immigrant through the transition to American life is a good thing.

I'm not convinced we need to end the lottery. How about we quit talking about END to something and readjust proportions - increase merit based, decrease lottery.

Can you answer my question re: the necessity factor?

End to chain migration
End to lottery
The wall

The thing of it is, the far left wants open boarders and chain migration and has taken a hard line stand on it.
That is exactly why they can't get it passed.

The far right has taken a hard line stand on DACA and insist on ending family reunification and the lottery. What's with that? That might be another reason it can't get passed.

It isn't necessary but I think it's a good thing. They didn't choose to come here and for many of them this is the only country they know. They are as American as you or I, they just lack the paperwork. So why not - what is so bad about it?

And, if we're going to bring up the long waits for LEGAL migration - why does it take so long? Shouldn't we look at ways of opening up that bottleneck instead?

End to chain migration
End to lottery
The wall

Change the last one to legal residence for dreamers.

I would alter the citizenship issue to include the requirement that they would not be able to vote for the first two election cycles (4-year cycle) and that they have to be located in area's well controlled by Democrats.

Nah on Democratic territory, cause they’d give them everything so when they could vote it would be for them.
I would alter the citizenship issue to include the requirement that they would not be able to vote for the first two election cycles (4-year cycle) and that they have to be located in area's well controlled by Democrats.

This is what it should look like:
Reduce the proportion of visa's that are given by lottery
Increase the proportion that are merit based
Increase funding for border security and if they want to use that for some wall building they can.
Permanent legal residency for dreamers

Nope.

The whole fucking point of DACA is keeping these kids from going to a place they don’t know.

If keeping families together is the goal, they should stay with their family in their home country. That goal can be achieved in their home shithole. No need for them to ALL move here.

Stay or go, but your family can GTFO. You want to allow these kids to stay because it was not their fault, fine, but wrongdoers and those not already here letally can fuck off.

Are you even aware of the numbers of immigrants that have left their country of origin, came to the US and established employment and a home and then sent for families left in their country of origin? Legal and illegal is the lefts major problem... All you see is votes... There is an established pathway to citizenship now... It is just not expeditious enough for the progressives shrinking power base...

It isn't necessary but I think it's a good thing. They didn't choose to come here and for many of them this is the only country they know. They are as American as you or I

No, they are not.

And, if we're going to bring up the long waits for LEGAL migration - why does it take so long? Shouldn't we look at ways of opening up that bottleneck instead?

Why should we? How would the country benefit by streamlining an already error-prone procedure?

I understand many of your concerns. But in order to get something done there is going to have to be give on every side. Do you want a wall or any of the other things. The key will be to stop any future illegal immigration. Not solving the problem will make the problem worse in the future. Strategy is important and letting Daca fester will not improve republican political standing. Think of the big picture, a Daca solution under trump would be a huge blow to democrats.

New Topics

Forum List

Back