Why are soldiers automatically considered heroes?

Nobody says all servicemen are, on that basis alone, "heroes."

Yes, they do. And questioning that results in censorship by the mods.

Just ask Echo

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-romper-room/169273-jbs-thoughts-about-our-vets.html

Maybe this will help you out - http://www.usmessageboard.com/3698277-post32.html

If a man is honourable, then respect and honour him for his character. To say I should thank or honour every man with a gun just because he has a gun and a uniform is bullshit. Not everyone in the military is honourable and not every war or order is just.

The very existence of the other thread proves the OP's point.

When was the last time out military was used to protect us?

So you feel the Department of Defense has been inept how many years now?

No, you're just a dishonest fool.

The military has been used against the American people in violation of posse comitatus and has been long used, not to protect the interests of the American people, but of the monied interests.
You should seriously be ashamed.

Why? For speaking the truth?
And ungrateful.

:eusa_eh:

You're comments are pretty un-cool my friend. It's obvious you dislike vets. That's your pathetic choice.

Thankfully you live in a country where you're allowed to voice your pitiful points of view.

Too bad Americans have to tolerate folks like you. But, after putting up with Westboro Baptist Church lunatics at so many funerals I have attended in honor of our fallen vets, I guess I can tolerate little turds like you.

God bless ya son.

And may God bless America.

I really, really dislike Memorial Day. Not because I hate the military (not true), nor because I don't think soldiers can't be heroes (also not true), but because I hate the spewing of jingoistic "all soldiers are heroes and they protect our freedom," by all parts of the political spectrum. Now, I want to make it clear that I do not believe soldiers can't be heroes; for example, I consider JFK to be one of the greatest men this country has seen, partly because of his actions in the military. What I am asking, is why all soldiers are automatically heroes? They certainly don't all earn it (US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies' | World news | The Guardian). And don't say it is because they are protecting our freedom, because frankly, they aren't right now. There were wars where they were, but our current conflicts are not intended to protect us.

JFK similar to you was a fucking idiot that nearly got us all killed. He was one of the worst presidents ever.

I really, really dislike Memorial Day. Not because I hate the military (not true), nor because I don't think soldiers can't be heroes (also not true), but because I hate the spewing of jingoistic "all soldiers are heroes and they protect our freedom," by all parts of the political spectrum. Now, I want to make it clear that I do not believe soldiers can't be heroes; for example, I consider JFK to be one of the greatest men this country has seen, partly because of his actions in the military. What I am asking, is why all soldiers are automatically heroes? They certainly don't all earn it (US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies' | World news | The Guardian). And don't say it is because they are protecting our freedom, because frankly, they aren't right now. There were wars where they were, but our current conflicts are not intended to protect us.

I have now idea. Maybe people simply want to be respectful, and know that moments like you linked are rare and put out there by people that don't give a crap about any thing beyond "If it bleeds, it leads."

It's obvious you dislike vets.
It's clear you're just an ignorant troll. I neither like nor dislike 'vets'. 'Verts' is a huge group of persons, some likeable and some not- some honourable and some not.

Unlike you, I judge people as individuals. Some people are honourable and some are not. Some wars are justified and some are not. Some actions are acceptable and some are not.

You, however, attack me via negrep for judging men for their own characters and actions instead of painting with a broad brush
Warrior102 said:
Hi, you have received -7 reputation points from Warrior102.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Move to Vietnam chimp

Regards,
Warrior102

Note: This is an automated message.

Interesting that you bring up VietNam

Military intelligence office K. Milton Osborne witnessed the following use of torture:
"The use of the insertion of the 6-inch dowel into the canal of one of my detainee's ears, and the tapping through the brain until dead. The starvation to death (in a cage), of a Vietnamese woman who was suspected of being part of the local political education cadre in one of the local villages ... The use of electronic gear such as sealed telephones attached to ... both both the women's vaginas and men's testicles [to] shock them into submission."[12]
Phoenix Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lieutenant Vincent Okamoto, an intelligence-liaison officer for the Phoenix Program for two months in 1968 and a recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross said the following:[13][14]
“ The problem was, how do you find the people on the blacklist? It's not like you had their address and telephone number. The normal procedure would be to go into a village and just grab someone and say, 'Where's Nguyen so-and-so?' Half the time the people were so afraid they would not say anything. Then a Phoenix team would take the informant, put a sandbag over his head, poke out two holes so he could see, put commo wire around his neck like a long leash, and walk him through the village and say, 'When we go by Nguyen's house scratch your head.' Then that night Phoenix would come back, knock on the door, and say, 'April Fool, motherfucker.' Whoever answered the door would get wasted. As far as they were concerned whoever answered was a Communist, including family members. Sometimes they'd come back to camp with ears to prove that they killed people. ”
Thankfully you live in a country where you're allowed to voice your pitiful points of view.

For now. We'll see how long that lasts. Today, America sets up 'Free Speech Zones' for dissenters- implying that the rest of the nation, outside that little area, is not a Free Speech zone.
Too bad Americans have to tolerate folks like you.

Yes, too bad there are people to demand the truth and hold this nation to a higher standard...

You are filth

It's obvious you dislike vets.
It's clear you're just an ignorant troll. I neither like nor dislike 'vets'. 'Verts' is a huge group of persons, some likeable and some not- some honourable and some not.

Unlike you, I judge people as individuals. Some people are honourable and some are not. Some wars are justified and some are not. Some actions are acceptable and some are not.

You, however, attack me via negrep for judging men for their own characters and actions instead of painting with a broad brush
Warrior102 said:
Hi, you have received -7 reputation points from Warrior102.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Move to Vietnam chimp

Regards,
Warrior102

Note: This is an automated message.

Interesting that you bring up VietNam

For now. We'll see how long that lasts. Today, America sets up 'Free Speech Zones' for dissenters- implying that the rest of the nation, outside that little area, is not a Free Speech zone.
Too bad Americans have to tolerate folks like you.

Yes, too bad there are people to demand the truth and hold this nation to a higher standard...

You are filth

Thanks for your thoughts.
I am happy you have the right to free speech.
People of your ilk need to be heard
Have a great Memorial Day!

check.jpg

Yes I signed it.

Millions have.

I've never called myself a hero. The Mrs thinks I am. They pinned enough medals on my chest to call me one. But I'm still here. Tomorrow I'll fire two 21 Gun salutes to the real heroes in 2 cemeteries. As will thousands of others across the country.

Without the troops how long would we remain free?

I am sorry you became sour on the military Mike
I'm not sour on the military. The military is necessary for the defense of the Nation. I am sour on the persistent misuse of our military. I am sour on the ease with which our clearly corrupt government gets away with engaging in unnecessary military aggressions and callling them "wars" in an obvious effort to conflate their reality and purpose with those of WW-II. And I'm sour on the tendency of far too many Americans to believe that simply wearing a uniform qualifies as heroism.

[...]but guess what, in 1936 I am sure you could have founds folks saying same and along came ww2.
Not so. Because between 1936 and WW-II there was nothing to compare with the war crime that was the invasion of Iraq. There was nothing to compare with the war crime called Vietnam. There was not the wholly unnecessary invasion of Grenada. And there was nothing to compare with the unnecessarily protracted and redundantly enacted fighting in Afghanistan. None of these so-called "wars" serve any purpose other than enrichment of the Military Industrial Complex -- which didn't exist prior to WW-II.

As far as "indoctrinated militaristic mind and nothing more."...no, not so, there is 2.5 wars on
Where are these wars? As far as I can recall the United States has not been at war since 1945.

[...]and I know from experience there are at lest 6-7 other spots on the globe where American forces are at risk
Please be more specific about where these situations are and why our troops are at risk there. I know we have military bases all over the world but I don't know why. I do know that a similar policy led to the destruction of Ancient Rome. I also know that one of our nation's most serious problems is the fact that its citizens have largely ignored the warning issued by former President Eisenhower about what then was an emerging Military Industrial Complex but which has since evolved into a massively powerful oligarch.

[...]in uniform and I am not going to split hairs on whether the guys hand I shake was/is an infantryman or a remf/pogue, I never do..... Just because you've spun out doesn't make the statement true or not.

It is what it is and we are all part of the same hypocrisy, some just seem to handle it better.
I have no idea what all of that means.

"Interesting that you bring up Vietnam"
Indeed, though I'm sure you're grateful,JB for another chance to bemoan the treatment of your precious little VC "freedom fighters". We had a few descriptions for the Cong, but I don't think that's one I'd use, and I had to fight the sonsofbitches. One thing I sure wouldn't call Charlie, is anything resembling an honorable soldier; they didn't play by ANY rules, and were openly proud of it. The stuff you mention Phoenix personnel doing to VC cadre (those would be the ones who directly planned and authorized VC terror atrocities) are child's play, compared to what I have seen the VC do. You want to cry over those dirtbags? Cry me a fucking river, little boy, because your knowledge of counterinsurgency fighting comes from some book you read, from bad movies, or whiny, spineless political types, not reality.Take your opinion and shove it, along with your brain, up the anal orifice of a gnat; it'll rattle like a BB in a 55 gallon fuel drum. Incidentally, are you a native Canadian, (you spell like one) or just a draft dodger who moved up there? In either case, I really don't see why we should care what you think about how we should do things in America. I swore I would not come back to this inappropriate thread for a Memorial Day weekend, but for your disrespectful self, I'll make an exception. You can call me a "war criminal" all you want, but one more time (just because I know it irritates you), I do not personally give a rat's rear end what happened to any VC as long as it ended with them permanently assuming ambient temperature! BTW, Phoenix was one of the more successful programs we ran in Vietnam; just ask the VC and the NVA. I really don't care whether you like the methodology used, or not; it worked.

P.S It takes a lot to make me really angry, but you managed it! Go play in traffic!

Last edited:
I think the point is to acknowledge that everyone who signs up for military service is committed to risking their lives, potentially heroically, for the rest of us. Neither our piss-poor leadership nor the idiotic wars they get us into diminish that commitment.
When was the last time out military was used to protect us?

You and people that think like you are beyond ignorant. Afghanistan and Iraq protected us. That you and people like you can't see that proves just how brain dead and pampered you are. Iraq was on the verge of having sanctions lifted and Saddam was prepared to return to chemical biological and nuclear research. The Government papers we captured PROVED that. We invade Iraq to end a threat. We invaded Afghanistan to punish an attack and the Country protecting those attackers.

The benefits require one to serve 20 years with no promise that A) the job won't make that impossible, B) the career path won't be phased out, C) Promotions won't be stagnant, forcing one out for failing to progress in rank,D)Injury suffered forces one out but does not raise to the level of getting a medical retirement.

The same complaints can be made about just about any retirement package

Ya all civilian jobs require you to risk life, limb and health every day, they force you to go on exercises that take you away from your family for days on end, sometimes months. They require you to carry weapons and stand guard with the real possibility of being shot. Shall I go on?

Force?

I thought you were one of the ones saying these people signed up to defend murka?
Seriously, you are an abject fucking idiot to the core.......Just the fact that you have to throw up EVERY neg rep you receive, fully proves you are a spineless lil' fuck.

I'm thinking you bash the military because you fully understand you would never have the guts or strength to serve......YOU would fold under the pressure. YOU would get people unecessarilly killed.

You're not fooling anybody, pissant!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Why not? I always wondered why they called Football and Basketball freaks "heroes". I was never a professional football player or basketball player but I was a member of the greatest Military in the civilized world. Call me a hero. I don't mind.

Forum List

Back