Why are soldiers automatically considered heroes?

north-5.jpg

daveman said:
Hi, you have received -163 reputation points from daveman.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Moron.

Regards,
daveman

Note: This is an automated message.

So... you can't explain building seven, coward?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlM8Sui6-X0]YouTube - ‪Cheney gave STAND DOWN ORDER‬‏[/ame]

daveman said:
Hi, you have received -163 reputation points from daveman.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Moron.

Regards,
daveman

Note: This is an automated message.

So... you can't explain building seven, coward?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlM8Sui6-X0]YouTube - ‪Cheney gave STAND DOWN ORDER‬‏[/ame]
It's been explained countless times, moron. But the answer doesn't blame Bush, so you have your little panties in a bunch.

Grow up, you sissy bedwetter.

Putting on a uniform doesn't suddenly make a man a devil or a saint. Honour and dishonour come with a man's own actions and character, not from the clothes he wears.

Some bring honour to their uniforms and some brings dishonour and infamy.

But this thread will be deleted just like the last time I pointed this out- god forbid we put away the broad brushes and judge men as individuals...

That argument would have worked when there was a draft, and it was not a volunteer service.

It changed, like a gazillion years ago

I really, really dislike Memorial Day. Not because I hate the military (not true), nor because I don't think soldiers can't be heroes (also not true), but because I hate the spewing of jingoistic "all soldiers are heroes and they protect our freedom," by all parts of the political spectrum. Now, I want to make it clear that I do not believe soldiers can't be heroes; for example, I consider JFK to be one of the greatest men this country has seen, partly because of his actions in the military. What I am asking, is why all soldiers are automatically heroes? They certainly don't all earn it (US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies' | World news | The Guardiran). And don't say it is because they are protecting our freedom, because frankly, they aren't right now. There were wars where they were, but our current conflicts are not intended to protect us.

Wow, talk about a fucking asshole! If you have to even ask it tells me all I want to know about you. Those who enlist lay their lives on the line for strangers, some who don't deserve it LIKE YOU; to ensure you have the freedom to trash their very service without threat... You can simply thank them. Nothing more heroic than to risk your life for a stranger.

Just one more thing; we fought a war in Vietnam, and then we fought a longer and harder war when we got home. No group of American soldiers has ever been quite so despised; spat on, cursed, treated like lepers, as Vietnam vets. I have to believe, that most Americans, with the passage of time, have come to realize how wrong that was, and if that means that no American service man or woman will come home to that sort of reception ever again, well, then in my book, it was worth that too.
As a former protest organizer I can attest that the kind of demonstrations which focused angry criticism on military personnel represented a very small percentage of the protest movement. And, as I've already mentioned, that kind of conduct occurred in response to such events as the My Lai massacre and other atrocites that reached the public's attention. The vast majority of protests consisted of letter-writing campaigns, visits to congressional offices, sit-ins and other peaceful demonstrations -- which received little to no media coverage.

Most important, in no demonstration I ever attended or heard about were any military personnel treated the way you've described above. Most demonstrations were attended by Vietnam veterans who would not tolerate it. And those angry, derisive demonstrations we saw on television were a tiny minority which received so much attention because the media focused on them. And in no demonstration I ever attended, or saw, or heard about, was any soldier spat upon. That popular myth, which was fostered by the movie, Rambo, in which the Stallone character, who successfully terrorized half a dozen heavily armed adversaries with nothing but a K-Bar knife and some matches, tearfully lamented that he'd been spat on. Conspicuously missing from that rather stupid scene is the question, What did you do about it, Rambo?

You need to understand that the spitting-on-Vietnam-vets story is utter fiction. It never happened. The popularity of that rumor had caused so much controversy back in the early seventies that the FBI actually investigated it and found it to be false. You can read all about it in a book written by a college professor who also made a dedicated effort to track down the source of the "spitting" reports but could not. The following is from an article by that writer and it contains a link to the full story.

(Excerpt)

Spitting on the Troops: Old Myth, New Rumors
By Jerry Lembcke:

[...]

The truth is that nobody spat on Vietnam veterans and nobody is spitting on the soldiers today. Attempts to silence opponents of the war with those figments of hostility are dishonest and should, themselves, be banished from our discourse.

Jerry Lembcke is the author of "The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam" (New York University Press, 1998). Jerry is the New England contact for VVAW. He is also an associate professor of sociology at Holy Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts and can be reached at 508-793-3050 or [email protected].

Last edited:
I really, really dislike Memorial Day. Not because I hate the military (not true), nor because I don't think soldiers can't be heroes (also not true), but because I hate the spewing of jingoistic "all soldiers are heroes and they protect our freedom," by all parts of the political spectrum. Now, I want to make it clear that I do not believe soldiers can't be heroes; for example, I consider JFK to be one of the greatest men this country has seen, partly because of his actions in the military. What I am asking, is why all soldiers are automatically heroes? They certainly don't all earn it (US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies' | World news | The Guardiran). And don't say it is because they are protecting our freedom, because frankly, they aren't right now. There were wars where they were, but our current conflicts are not intended to protect us.

Wow, talk about a fucking asshole! If you have to even ask it tells me all I want to know about you. Those who enlist lay their lives on the line for strangers, some who don't deserve it LIKE YOU; to ensure you have the freedom to trash their very service without threat... You can simply thank them. Nothing more heroic than to risk your life for a stranger.

No current member of the military has protected my freedom. I just want to clear that up. That isn't to say the military hasn't protected my freedom in the past, nor does it mean the military won't protect it in the future.
By your logic, a hero is somebody who risks their lives for somebody else. That means that every single president, doctor, sewage worker, scientist, etc. is a hero. I will support memorial when he have days honoring every person who puts his life on the line for someone else.
A hero isn't someone who gets payed to put their life on the line; it's somebody who goes above and beyond their position and station in life to help the lives of others. There are many members of the military who have done this, but they aren't all heros.

daveman said:

1: 9/11 did not hurt America as a whole. Sorry, but that's the truth. 3000 people is not a significant chunk.

2: Iraq and Afghanistan didn't attack us. Al' Qaeda did. Know your facts please.

No current member of the military has protected my freedom. I just want to clear that up. That isn't to say the military hasn't protected my freedom in the past, nor does it mean the military won't protect it in the future.
By your logic, a hero is somebody who risks their lives for somebody else. That means that every single president, doctor, sewage worker, scientist, etc. is a hero. I will support memorial when he have days honoring every person who puts his life on the line for someone else.
A hero isn't someone who gets payed to put their life on the line; it's somebody who goes above and beyond their position and station in life to help the lives of others. There are many members of the military who have done this, but they aren't all heros.

daveman said:

1: 9/11 did not hurt America as a whole. Sorry, but that's the truth. 3000 people is not a significant chunk.

2: Iraq and Afghanistan didn't attack us. Al' Qaeda did. Know your facts please.

You are an idiot. Stop and think about it. If our military were not there, if they were not strong, how long would your rights last?

daveman said:

You are an idiot. Stop and think about it. If our military were not there, if they were not strong, how long would your rights last?

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure neither Iraq nor Afghanistan really cared about taking my rights away. I've thought about it quite a bit, actually. Two small countries in the Middle East have no chance against a world superpower. There is no way they could take away our rights.

daveman said:

This shit along with your other BS leads me to believe you're not an American.. who the fuck thinks this way but terrorists??

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure neither Iraq nor Afghanistan really cared about taking my rights away. I've thought about it quite a bit, actually. Two small countries in the Middle East have no chance against a world superpower. There is no way they could take away our rights.

I thought I'd read some dumb shit in my life and then I ran in to you on this message board. You're truly a blockhead.

daveman said:

This shit along with your other BS leads me to believe you're not an American.. who the fuck thinks this way but terrorists??
9/11 did not hurt America. Period. 3000 dead people is a tragedy, but it is hardly a blow to a country of billions. I realize that this sounds callous, but it is true. 9/11 was an awful moment in American history, but its actual effect on our economy, etc. was nonexistent.

I will try one more time.

Even if there were no conflicts that our troops were involved in, they would still be wearing the uniform and training and being strong and preventing any one from taking your freedoms from you.

Do you think we would be free today if we had a weak military? I'm not talking about Afghanistan or today's Iraq. When we first went up against Iraq they had the fourth largest Military in the world. Think about it.

Without a strong military we better start learning some other languages.... Russian? Chinese? Mexican? Farsi? Without our military any scenario could be possible.

9/11 did not hurt America. Period. 3000 dead people is a tragedy, but it is hardly a blow to a country of billions. I realize that this sounds callous, but it is true. 9/11 was an awful moment in American history, but its actual effect on our economy, etc. was nonexistent.

Excuse me, ONE lost American is a terrible blow to our nation and that an enemy penetrated our nation and slaughtered our sons and daughters is an unspeakable crime. You're dirt and not worthy of my time. Fuck off!

I will try one more time.

Even if there were no conflicts that our troops were involved in, they would still be wearing the uniform and training and being strong and preventing any one from taking your freedoms from you.

Do you think we would be free today if we had a weak military? I'm not talking about Afghanistan or today's Iraq. When we first went up against Iraq they had the fourth largest Military in the world. Think about it.

Without a strong military we better start learning some other languages.... Russian? Chinese? Mexican? Farsi? Without our military any scenario could be possible.

Just because somebody is in the military does not make them a hero... I don't care if they are protecting my freedom, they are getting PAID. As I said before, I define a hero as somebody who goes above and beyond their position in life, and saves people, with not thought of reward.

I don't know why you think I'm anti-military; I'm pro-military, just not pro-jingoism. I am not a pacifist, I am a staunch believer in the fact that some wars we need to fight (WWII, Civil War, the list goes on). I just don't believe that somebody who gets paid to kill others is a hero. I like the fact that we have a military, but I'm against the stigma around saying all soldiers aren't always heroes all the time.

Forum List

Back