Why a moritorium?

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
am I not correct that these kind of deep water rigs are beyond 7 miles and in International waters? Doesn't that mean that even if we decide to ban our own companies from Drilling there that Other big drilling countries like China and Mexico for example could simple come in and drill there instead. Leaving us with Drilling still going on right off our coast only now some other country is in control of it, and the safety of it, and the profits that come from it?

I know for a fact the Chinese are drilling off our west coast in areas our own companies are banned from Drilling. Can anyone tell me how that makes sense? or how it made sense for one of Obama's only real actions on this spill was to put thousands of people out of work with the stroke of his pen with his knee jerk reaction moratorium on 33 oil rigs in the gulf?

This is the kind of stuff you get with a President who had virtually no exp qualifying him for the job. Knee jerk reactions of a president being lead around by his nose by the poll numbers. A president who has been in campaign mode since he won. A president who only acts pissed off about something after 6 weeks of people wondering why he wasn't doing more. (personally I think he was to busy getting juiced about how he could use this to help further his anti oil agenda to notice how bad it was or would be)

The man might be book smart, but he is clearly completely out of his depths as president.

Last edited:
am I not correct that these kind of deep water rigs are beyond 7 miles and in International waters? Doesn't that mean that even if we decide to ban our own companies from Drilling there that Other big drilling countries like China and Mexico for example could simple come in and drill there instead. Leaving us with Drilling still going on right off our coast only now some other country is in control of it, and the safety of it, and the profits that come from it?

I know for a fact the Chinese are drilling off our west coast in areas our own companies are banned from Drilling. Can anyone tell me how that makes sense? or how it made sense for one of Obama's only real actions on this spill was to put thousands of people out of work with the stroke of his pen with his knee jerk reaction moratorium on 33 oil rigs in the gulf?

This is the kind of stuff you get with a President who had virtually no exp qualifying him for the job. Knee jerk reactions of a president being lead around by his nose by the poll numbers. A president who has been in campaign mode since he won. A president who only acts pissed off about something after 6 weeks of people wondering why he wasn't doing more. (personally I think he was to busy getting juiced about how he could use this to help further his anti oil agenda to notice how bad it was or would be)

The man might be book smart, but he is clearly completely out of his depths as president.

Federal waters extend about 200 miles off the coast.

Simple, it makes it look like he is actually accomplishing something.

You're both wrong. International waters begin 12 miles off of the coast.

It depends on who you ask. THE USG considers anything inside 200 miles to be there sovereign waters, most countries traditionally ignore the 12 mile international limit.

and the answer to this question can be summed up in a picture

1-721492.jpg

well I was a tad closer to right.

LOL

Under the law of the sea, an exclusive economic zone (EEZ) is a seazone over which a state has special rights over the exploration and use of marine resources. It stretches from the seaward edge of the state's territorial sea out to 200 nautical miles from its coast. In casual usage, the term may include the territorial sea and even the continental shelf beyond the 200 mile limit.

Exclusive Economic Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wondered about this myself every time they brought up the ban. Interesting.

so the chinese and russians can have armed subs just beyond 12 miles in to the gulf of mexico?

i thought the entire gulf between florida and texas is OUR territory? we even have an area of the gulf cordoned off for our air force to practice...???

the moratorium is temporary, while the different riggs have to show their emergency/accident plans and/or get inspected, no? or is there more to this than that....???

the moratorium is temporary, while the different riggs have to show their emergency/accident plans and/or get inspected, no? or is there more to this than that....???

I believe the whole situation is being used politically by Obama to move his so called 'energy' platform forward. If you control energy, that's game, set, match. You then control everything.

I think there's something to that as well as the notion he is now using it to further the green energy agenda...I got really annoyed about that during his speech last night...BUT I think the moratorium is appropriate considering the fact this catastrophe has proven the current drilling regulations to be insufficient for such unprecedented depths.

I believe the whole situation is being used politically by Obama to move his so called 'energy' platform forward. If you control energy, that's game, set, match. You then control everything.

i don't understand?

Because Bush and cheney had their grips on the oil industry, this means that they controlled everything?

I don't think they controlled everything because of their oil grip and I would not think obama controlled everything because of his alternative/fossil energy grip either?

obie wan and his stupid band of merry maurauders just put 20,000 people out of work. what an asswipe.

What counts as "deep-water" drilling, and how much of it is there?

For purposes of the moratorium, the federal government classifies any drilling in depths beyond 500 feet as "deep." By that definition, there are about 600 deep-water wells in the Gulf of Mexico.

They produce about 80% of the oil and 45% of the natural gas coming from the gulf, according to the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Assn., an industry group. As a share of total U.S. oil use, however, the deep wells' contribution is just a few drops in the bucket.

What are the risks of drilling at those depths?

As the Deepwater Horizon disaster has shown, the biggest one is access. The water pressure so far below the surface makes it impossible for human divers to reach. So if a well blows out or experiences some other calamity, responders must use remote-controlled robots to try to fix it.

It's increasingly clear that oil companies and the federal government added to the risks of a catastrophic spill by not devising detailed, adequate plans to plug a blowout in deep water — essentially leaving them to invent response strategies.

Will the federal moratorium stop all deep-water drilling for now?

The moratorium applies only to new wells. Current deep-water production in previously drilled wells will continue. But the government action will essentially freeze 33 deep-water rigs in the gulf that were poised to drill. The Louisiana industry group reports that each of those rigs employs 90 to 140 people at any given time, which means between 2,970 and 4,620 jobs are directly affected by the moratorium.

A closer look at deep-water drilling - Los Angeles Times

BP over a barrel as oil leak estimate hits 60k | Process Engineering | The Engineer

OBAMA: "Already, I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling. I know this creates difficulty for the people who work on these rigs, but for the sake of their safety and for the sake of the entire region, we need to know the facts before we allow deepwater drilling to continue."

THE FACTS: Obama issued a six-month moratorium on new permits for deepwater drilling but production continues from existing deepwater wells.

FACT CHECK: Obama left blanks in oil spill speech

OBAMA: "Already, I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling. I know this creates difficulty for the people who work on these rigs, but for the sake of their safety and for the sake of the entire region, we need to know the facts before we allow deepwater drilling to continue."

THE FACTS: Obama issued a six-month moratorium on new permits for deepwater drilling but production continues from existing deepwater wells.

FACT CHECK: Obama left blanks in oil spill speech

he dosen't give a shit, he just stole 20 billion dollars from BP to give to his union buddies.

I think there's something to that as well as the notion he is now using it to further the green energy agenda...I got really annoyed about that during his speech last night...BUT I think the moratorium is appropriate considering the fact this catastrophe has proven the current drilling regulations to be insufficient for such unprecedented depths.

I think we need to keep in mind that at least 33 deep water rigs are and have been doing this for some time. This is the first accident so far. While I see the point of a temporary moratorium I think you need to consider all the factors. Including the thousands of people in the oil ind and their suppliers who are out of work as a result of it.

While were talking about this I thought I would mention a fact I am sure many of you have heard already. Shorty before this accident in the gulf, the Obama Admin gave this particular Rig an award for safety. Add that fact to the terribly slow and inept response so far and you have a horrid failure on Obamas fault at the very least.

For gods sake its been 8 weeks and he is just now meeting with the CEO of BP? Are you kidding me? Believe me when I say its much easier for BP to lie and mislead in press releases than it will be for the CEO to look into POTUS's eyes and lie.

Im not much of a palin fan but she has this one right. You are dealing with oil companies, they always lie, Never leave it to paper communication. Look into their eyes when you talk to them.

on a side note I see someone claiming the Moratorium is only on new rigs and the 33 out there now are still drilling. That is false. As part of the Moratorium the existing permits on the 33 rigs were pulled for review by the Feds. During such a review the rigs are not allowed to continue drilling. Please keep the facts straight we get enough misinformation about this spill already. So much Hotels are going empty all over the gulf on beaches that have not been effected yet because the press is all doom and gloom and keeps showing a graphic with 25% of the northern golf covered in oil, when the fact is the oils is spread out in that area in vast streaks separated by clear water, and their graphic shows beaches from Galveston to Florida covered when they too are only effected in spots and clean in others. Millions of dollars are being lost due to negligent reporting by the press and scare tactics by the administration. All in the name of scaring you all into supporting cap and tax and further demonizing the use of oil at all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back