Why a moritorium?

i thought the entire gulf between florida and texas is OUR territory? we even have an area of the gulf cordoned off for our air force to practice...???

The etymology of the word 'territory' derives from 'terra' meaning earth as far as I know, which the sea is clearly not.

This reminds me of an incident in the '80s when Libya was claiming a zone upto 200 miles in the Gulf of Sirte as their 'territory' (if my memory is correct), which the US violated (according to Libya) resulting in the shooting down of 2 Libyan Mig 21s. So, just because the US air force practices in certain areas of the Gulf does not make that area US 'territory'.

As others have pointed out an exclusive economic zone extending 200 miles from a country's coastline is generally accepted, but there are plenty of disputes regarding this (e.g. the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea).

Because.

539w.jpg

OBAMA: "Already, I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling. I know this creates difficulty for the people who work on these rigs, but for the sake of their safety and for the sake of the entire region, we need to know the facts before we allow deepwater drilling to continue."

THE FACTS: Obama issued a six-month moratorium on new permits for deepwater drilling but production continues from existing deepwater wells.

FACT CHECK: Obama left blanks in oil spill speech

he dosen't give a shit, he just stole 20 billion dollars from BP to give to his union buddies.
Why do you lie so much?

OBAMA: "Already, I have issued a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling. I know this creates difficulty for the people who work on these rigs, but for the sake of their safety and for the sake of the entire region, we need to know the facts before we allow deepwater drilling to continue."

THE FACTS: Obama issued a six-month moratorium on new permits for deepwater drilling but production continues from existing deepwater wells.

he dosen't give a shit, he just stole 20 billion dollars from BP to give to his union buddies.
Why do you lie so much?

Too much Fox TV?

Simple, it makes it look like he is actually accomplishing something.

I think there's something to that as well as the notion he is now using it to further the green energy agenda...I got really annoyed about that during his speech last night...BUT I think the moratorium is appropriate considering the fact this catastrophe has proven the current drilling regulations to be insufficient for such unprecedented depths.

I think we need to keep in mind that at least 33 deep water rigs are and have been doing this for some time. This is the first accident so far. While I see the point of a temporary moratorium I think you need to consider all the factors. Including the thousands of people in the oil ind and their suppliers who are out of work as a result of it.

While were talking about this I thought I would mention a fact I am sure many of you have heard already. Shorty before this accident in the gulf, the Obama Admin gave this particular Rig an award for safety. Add that fact to the terribly slow and inept response so far and you have a horrid failure on Obamas fault at the very least.

For gods sake its been 8 weeks and he is just now meeting with the CEO of BP? Are you kidding me? Believe me when I say its much easier for BP to lie and mislead in press releases than it will be for the CEO to look into POTUS's eyes and lie.

Im not much of a palin fan but she has this one right. You are dealing with oil companies, they always lie, Never leave it to paper communication. Look into their eyes when you talk to them.

on a side note I see someone claiming the Moratorium is only on new rigs and the 33 out there now are still drilling. That is false. As part of the Moratorium the existing permits on the 33 rigs were pulled for review by the Feds. During such a review the rigs are not allowed to continue drilling. Please keep the facts straight we get enough misinformation about this spill already. So much Hotels are going empty all over the gulf on beaches that have not been effected yet because the press is all doom and gloom and keeps showing a graphic with 25% of the northern golf covered in oil, when the fact is the oils is spread out in that area in vast streaks separated by clear water, and their graphic shows beaches from Galveston to Florida covered when they too are only effected in spots and clean in others. Millions of dollars are being lost due to negligent reporting by the press and scare tactics by the administration. All in the name of scaring you all into supporting cap and tax and further demonizing the use of oil at all.
No, you're wrong and hysterically wrong. The current deep water rigs are still going at it.

You should hang out on the conspiracy theory threads. Either that or come back tomorrow and whine about how Obama isn't doing enough...you'll be just like the other rightwingloons.

I thought that money is going into an escrow account for litigation or something. Where did you hear it's going to unions?

I thought that money is going into an escrow account for litigation or something. Where did you hear it's going to unions?

it's willow! :D everything is a conspiracy when obama is even remotely involved

Makes as much sense as a moratorium on building highways because of a rush hour pile-up.

did he or did he not appoint a czar? it's going to his union buddies, you don't think so? did you pay attention while he screwed the stock holders and bond holders out of their money and gave it to his union buddies??? remember GM??

Last edited:

did he or did he not appoint a czar? it's going to his union buddies, you don't think so? did you pay attention while he screwed the stock holders and bond holders out of their money and gave it to his union buddies??? remember GM??

Obama didn't steal it, because the BP CEO agreed to set that money aside for damages payment, and it probably won't even be enough.

I just don't see where his so-called union buddies come into play here. And the czar is the same dood who handled 9/11 payments.

... This is the first accident so far. While I see the point of a temporary moratorium I think you need to consider all the factors. Including the thousands of people in the oil ind and their suppliers who are out of work as a result of it.

While were talking about this I thought I would mention a fact I am sure many of you have heard already. Shorty before this accident in the gulf, the Obama Admin gave this particular Rig an award for safety. Add that fact to the terribly slow and inept response so far and you have a horrid failure on Obamas fault at the very least.

For gods sake its been 8 weeks and he is just now meeting with the CEO of BP? Are you kidding me? Believe me when I say its much easier for BP to lie and mislead in press releases than it will be for the CEO to look into POTUS's eyes and lie.

So far this spill doesn't rate very high on the list of greatest spills, neither is it a first for the Gulf. The Mexican Ixtoc spill of 1979 was far greater and that only ranked no. 3 ever. Incidentally, that spill took 9 months to stem, and was only finally brought under control by drilling additional wells to relieve the pressure on the leak.

It looks like BP will be bankrupt if that is how long it will take to fix this problem. Ofcourse in the Mexican case it was Mexico's own national oil company that was in charge. I wonder: If Exxon, Chevron or Texaco had been involved in this blowout, would the compensation demands have been so high? Before POTUS puts the thumbscrews on BRITISH Petroleum too hard, maybe he should take note that BP has 22000 employees in the US and only 10000 in Britain.

... This is the first accident so far. While I see the point of a temporary moratorium I think you need to consider all the factors. Including the thousands of people in the oil ind and their suppliers who are out of work as a result of it.

So far this spill doesn't rate very high on the list of greatest spills, neither is it a first for the Gulf. The Mexican Ixtoc spill of 1979 was far greater and that only ranked no. 3 ever. Incidentally, that spill took 9 months to stem, and was only finally brought under control by drilling additional wells to relieve the pressure on the leak.

It looks like BP will be bankrupt if that is how long it will take to fix this problem. Ofcourse in the Mexican case it was Mexico's own national oil company that was in charge. I wonder: If Exxon, Chevron or Texaco had been involved in this blowout, would the compensation demands have been so high? Before POTUS puts the thumbscrews on BRITISH Petroleum too hard, maybe he should take note that BP has 22000 employees in the US and only 10000 in Britain.

He doesn't give a shit about Americans or what he steals from them.. He stole money from the pensioners, bond holders, and stock holders of GM and gave it to his union buddies, then proceeded to steal dealerships..

Obama didn't steal it, because the BP CEO agreed to set that money aside for damages payment, and it probably won't even be enough.

I just don't see where his so-called union buddies come into play here. And the czar is the same dood who handled 9/11 payments.
Yep.

I think the oil washing up on Willow's beach is addling her brain.

Why a moratorium? It's what is substituting for Action. When a clueless leader has no idea what to do, he often stops all activity.

And there's an added benefit for Big Government. The moratorium will throw hundreds of thousands more people onto the unemployment roles, and create yet another PRETEXT for raising taxes and spending money - just the way the Big Government Perpetual Economy Destroying Machine is designed to do.

It's okay though, because foreign countries can come in and set up shop. :eusa_whistle:

I think there's something to that as well as the notion he is now using it to further the green energy agenda...I got really annoyed about that during his speech last night...BUT I think the moratorium is appropriate considering the fact this catastrophe has proven the current drilling regulations to be insufficient for such unprecedented depths.

I think we need to keep in mind that at least 33 deep water rigs are and have been doing this for some time. This is the first accident so far. While I see the point of a temporary moratorium I think you need to consider all the factors. Including the thousands of people in the oil ind and their suppliers who are out of work as a result of it.

Im not much of a palin fan but she has this one right. You are dealing with oil companies, they always lie, Never leave it to paper communication. Look into their eyes when you talk to them.

on a side note I see someone claiming the Moratorium is only on new rigs and the 33 out there now are still drilling. That is false. As part of the Moratorium the existing permits on the 33 rigs were pulled for review by the Feds. During such a review the rigs are not allowed to continue drilling. Please keep the facts straight we get enough misinformation about this spill already. So much Hotels are going empty all over the gulf on beaches that have not been effected yet because the press is all doom and gloom and keeps showing a graphic with 25% of the northern golf covered in oil, when the fact is the oils is spread out in that area in vast streaks separated by clear water, and their graphic shows beaches from Galveston to Florida covered when they too are only effected in spots and clean in others. Millions of dollars are being lost due to negligent reporting by the press and scare tactics by the administration. All in the name of scaring you all into supporting cap and tax and further demonizing the use of oil at all.
No, you're wrong and hysterically wrong. The current deep water rigs are still going at it.

You should hang out on the conspiracy theory threads. Either that or come back tomorrow and whine about how Obama isn't doing enough...you'll be just like the other rightwingloons.

If I am wrong about them still drilling then my bad, however I am taking this from the statement put out by the WH. In which they say the "temporary all production in the gulf will cease"

That hardly makes me a conspiracy nut. However if you are of the school of thought that Obama has done enough and was not horridly slow to react you are not only in the minority, you are blind.

I am a conservative and was a republican but I did not defend Bush during Katrina, I called it for what it was, A bad response. To bad you libs cant be intellectually honest enough to do the same.

Its not even about the Man its the system. A Bloated Government Bureaucracy is never good at responding to or doing anything. The main reason why I am a conservative.

Hmmm.. Toyota gas pedals stick. Put a moritorium on all new production of automobiles. Great idea President Shit for Brains.

Forum List

Back