Who's the best runningback in NFL history?

• Adrian Peterson

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Eric Dickerson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmett Smith

• Walter Payton

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • O.J. Simpson

• Jim Brown

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • John Riggins

• Bo Jackson

• Earl Cambell

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Red Grange

• Total voters

Billo_Really

Litre of the Band
Aug 14, 2005
Long Beach, Ca
  1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange
If I missed someone, feel free to add them in.

1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange

Why is Peterson up there?

And where is Barry?

1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange

Useless list w/out Terrel Davis.

I always liked Larry Csonka from the undefeated Dolphins.. The only RB that was penalised for stopping short of a TD and running accross the field to crush a db before taking it in the end zone...:lol:

True story

$lc.jpg

Another true story is that way back when I saved Csonka's life.. I'll save that story for later..

1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange

Franco Harris

Oh please... Harris is a fraud. His immaculet reception was a fraud. He spent his last 5 or 6 yrears running out of bounds rather than take any contact. Harris was a pussy.

True story.

Barry Sanders was the most exciting football player that ever stepped on the field.

For my money the most "exciting" was Terry Metcalf of the St Louis Cardinals. He could change direction faster than either Walter Pauton or Barry Sanders.

Also I kinda knew him. He was best friends with my best friend's brother when he was in HS in Seattle. I saw him many times in person although I wouldn't call him a friend.

He holds the record for most games with 250+ all purpose yards: 7.

Last edited:
I stick with Jim Brown as the best ever. He was, IMO, the most dominant at the position while he played. His records, including total yardage and YPC were incredible.

Barry Sanders was the most fun to watch.

How two votes could go to Riggins is beyond me.

Peterson needs to finish his career to really get a good view of where he stands.

Terrell Davis didn't play enough to be the best. If he could have avoided injury, maybe he would have been.

Bo Jackson should NEVER be in this discussion! Talking about Bo is entirely about possibility rather than reality. It's very unfortunate that a career that looked so promising was cut short so soon, but it was, and discussing him as one of the best ever is ridiculous. The man played in only 38 games and had less than 3000 career rushing yards.

there's jim brown and then there's the also rans.

Jim was awesome in his time but... he wouldn't be able to compete today. He wasn't fast enough ...he didn't change direction quick enough. He was very strong and was difficult to tackle..but the defenses in pro ball then were not as good as today's best colleges.

I've seen him play as well as OJ Simson ..been a fan since I was 7. that's around 55 years.

I honor him but seriously... compared to most starting running backs today he wouldn't even make a pro team.

"exceptional and record-setting nine-year career as a running back for the NFL Cleveland Browns from 1957 to 1965"

there's jim brown and then there's the also rans.

Jim was awesome in his time but... he wouldn't be able to compete today. He wasn't fast enough ...he didn't change direction quick enough. He was very strong and was difficult to tackle..but the defenses in pro ball then were not as good as today's best colleges.

I've seen him play as well as OJ Simson ..been a fan since I was 7. that's around 55 years.

I honor him but seriously... compared to most starting running backs today he wouldn't even make a pro team.

"exceptional and record-setting nine-year career as a running back for the NFL Cleveland Browns from 1957 to 1965"

This would be relevant if we were discussing the running back most likely to be successful today. :)

You can only judge the players by when they played. Many things are different now. Are the players faster, stronger, and bigger today? Sure. On the other hand, are the rules more strict for defenses now? I think yes. Are the players today given better medical attention, nutrition, money, and are they brought up from a young age to be football players? Certainly yes.

Brown played when he played. What he did in his time is how he should be judged as much as possible.

Who was that runningback who came out of SC, played for the Raiders, used to dive over linemen for touchdowns, had a big Super Bowl game against Washington and his named started with Marques?

I forget his last name?

Forum List

Back