Who's the best runningback in NFL history?

• Adrian Peterson

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Eric Dickerson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmett Smith

• Walter Payton

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • O.J. Simpson

• Jim Brown

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • John Riggins

• Bo Jackson

• Earl Cambell

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Red Grange

• Total voters
I know this is a bit of a stretch but Chuck Muncie was a great back as well. He just had this problem with nose-candy.

6ft 4in 240lbs and was the fastest player on the San Diego Chargers team including the WRs.

He finished second in voting for the Heisman behind Archie Griffin 1975.

He ran for over 1140yds on a pass happy Charger team in 1981.

Muncie finished his 9 season career with 6,702 rushing yards, 263 receptions for 2,323 yards, 20 kickoff returns for 432 yards, and 74 touchdowns.

He was big enough to pound out the tough yards but he was fast enough to outrun anyone. He was named the Pro-Bowl MVP in 1979 while representing a terrible Saints team.

He lived in my old neighborhood, in West Bloomfield, MI. I still remember his exact house. :cool: I remember when I used to collect cards, I had a card of him and wanted to get it signed during Halloween, he wasn't at home he left candy outside and I was kind of bummed but I didn't go after that.

I used to send cards to sports players with a nice hand written letter and a self addressed stamped envelope, asking for an autograph. Some signed them for real and sent them back, some didn't.

You can tell whose was real because it was done with a sharpie and it matched their known autograph perfectly. Others you can tell it was just a stamp.

Barry was one of the ones who signed it for real. You can't do much with it obviously because theres nothing to prove authentication, but it was still cool when you're just a kid.

I think one of the things that made Sanders so great is that he was never the diva type of star. He didn't do crazy celebrations, he always came off as humble and grounded. Of course, I've heard that he actually was just never all that passionate about football; his playing was a matter of talent more than desire. That seems quite possible to me considering his retirement while he was still a great player.

That was a pretty nifty idea for a kid, and must have been great when you got a signature back. :)

Barry was one in a million like that. I think he retired because of some kind of disagreement with the owner. I might be wrong though. No one has been even remotely as exciting to watch. Definitely my favorite player of all time, and I'm an Eagles fan.

I got a lot of signatures back actually. I got Elway, Aikman, Cunningham, Emmitt...those were all definitely real, unless these guys literally have someone hired to forge their autographs for that kind of thing...which I doubt.

I picked Emmitt Smith but Walter Payton was just about as good.

I figure Emmitt won more championships and that's what separated them.

And Larry Czonka wasn't on the list. I figure he was in their league.

I never saw Jim Brown play so I can't judge him.

Emmitt had the greatest offensive line in the history of the NFL. I'd like to see how well he would do with the offensive line Barry had to work with.

1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange
If I missed someone, feel free to add them in.

No Barry Sanders, Gales Sayers, LT or Faulk! Man you're clueless about everything you fucking moron! JEEZZZUUSSS even a mental midget would have Sanders. Sanders is arguably #1, lowest #3!

Last edited:
I think one of the best who was just worn out too quickly was Earl Campbell. Bum Phillips just ran him to death. Earl was something to watch as he just ran over defenders. Hard to bring down one on one and had more speed than he was given credit for

1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange

No Barry Sanders, Gales Sayers, LT or Faulk! Man you're clueless about everything you fucking moron! JEEZZZUUSSS even a mental midget would have Sanders. Sanders is arguably #1, lowest #3!
Sanders isn't on the list because his team got out-sourced to India, like the rest of the auto industry.

They told us, "We want GM, Ford, Chrysler and.............oh, yes.............we want the Lions, as well. You can keep the homeless blacks!"

(1) Jim Brown - Beast of a man. Broke the record and retired way to early!
(2) Walter Payton - I went back and forth because Sanders was so awesome with such horrendous QB and OL, but the homer in me went with Payton
(3) Barry Sanders - The man did amazing things that no one has ever done. He would have broken and put the record out of Smith's reach if he didn't retire to early.
(4) Emmitt Smith - People degrade him because of the solid OL and offenses he played on, but he was a great workhouse and a great athlete.
(5) OJ Simpson - When he wasn't killing white women, he was a hell of a runner with amazing speed.
(6) Marshall Faulk - Faulk was the best receiving RB in history and he wasn't that bad of a runner also.
(7) Eric Dickerson - Single season record looks safe. Prolific runner.
(8) LT - Great player, nuff said
(9) Gale Sayers - Unbelievably fast. Would have been higher on the list if his career wasn't cut short by a injury that is routinely repaired nowadays.
(10) Adrian Peterson - As close to Barry Sanders as they come. If he keeps up his career, then he will be higher on the list.

Emmitt had the greatest offensive line in the history of the NFL. I'd like to see how well he would do with the offensive line Barry had to work with.

Always the unfair knock on Smith. Smith was still a hell of a great back, great competitor, great person and one of the best role models the sport could ask for!

1. Adrian Peterson
  2. Eric Dickerson
  3. Emmett Smith
  4. Walter Payton
  5. O.J. Simpson
  6. Jim Brown
  7. Bo Jackson
  8. John Riggins
  9. Earl Campbell
  10. Red Grange

Sanders isn't on the list because his team got out-sourced to India, like the rest of the auto industry.

They told us, "We want GM, Ford, Chrysler and.............oh, yes.............we want the Lions, as well. You can keep the homeless blacks!"

Wow you trying to make a funny! You kind of failed moron!

Last edited:
I remember reading that even with his massive size he was one of the fastest if not fastest player to ever play in the NFL. Easily the fastest RB! He also has some of the cleanest cuts and best moves. Lastly he was as big as a LB. He had it all and the injury ruined what would have been an epic career. What a shame.

But to the Jackson deniers, answer this if you could pick any RB in NFL history and have them guaranteed to be injury free at the peak of their game over a 10 year span, who would you pick? It would come down to 4-5 players: Brown, Payton, Jackson, Sayers and Sanders. I personally wouldn't blink and eye and select Jackson.

Jackson was faster as Sayers, had absolute insane moves like Sanders and Payton and was BIGGER than Brown. The answer is easy when you really dissect it!

Always the unfair knock on Smith. Smith was still a hell of a great back, great competitor, great person and one of the best role models the sport could ask for!

I don't know if it's an unfair knock exactly.....overused might be a better way to put it. He DID have an incredible O-line. That, however, takes nothing away from his toughness, durability, blocking, or power. Smith was one of the most reliable backs to ever play. It's not as fun or flashy as someone like Sanders, but it can be argued that reliability is a more important quality.

I remember reading that even with his massive size he was one of the fastest if not fastest player to ever play in the NFL. Easily the fastest RB! He also has some of the cleanest cuts and best moves. Lastly he was as big as a LB. He had it all and the injury ruined what would have been an epic career. What a shame.

But to the Jackson deniers, answer this if you could pick any RB in NFL history and have them guaranteed to be injury free at the peak of their game over a 10 year span, who would you pick? It would come down to 4-5 players: Brown, Payton, Jackson, Sayers and Sanders. I personally wouldn't blink and eye and select Jackson.

Jackson was faster as Sayers, had absolute insane moves like Sanders and Payton and was BIGGER than Brown. The answer is easy when you really dissect it!

10 year span?

Jackson wouldn't even play for a one year span. His season started in November every year. At least the others dedicated themselves to football and took all the punishment

10 year span?

Jackson wouldn't even play for a one year span. His season started in November every year. At least the others dedicated themselves to football and took all the punishment

I am talking about on talent and skill only, Jackson was at the top!

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be on a top 10 list, just that he's not the best. It's anyone's guess how well he would have done without the huge holes he had to work with, not to mention one of the best fullbacks in history leading.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be on a top 10 list, just that he's not the best. It's anyone's guess how well he would have done without the huge holes he had to work with, not to mention one of the best fullbacks in history leading.

Let's put it into perspective...

Barry's career numbers: 153 games, 3062 carries, 15269 yds, 5.0 avg, 99 yds per game

Emmitt's numbers: 226 games, 4409 carries, 18355 yds, 4.2 avg, 81 yds per game

So Emmitt had about 25% more carries and 4.5 more seasons worth of games played, and only has 3000 more yards...also a lower avg, and 18 less yds per game.

The reason this comparison is significant is because Emmitt had much more to work with...premier o-line, premier fullback, premier offense all around. Berry literally had to earn every yard he ever got. And he's probably got just as many lateral yards avoiding tackles and making something out of nothing.

Can you name a Lions offensive lineman from those years? Neither can I.

I couldn't even imagine Barry's numbers with that Cowboys line.

How the hell is Barry Sanders not on the list? The dude could have had a 8.0 ypc season if he had a line like Emmit had (same with Peterson).

Forum List

Back