Who's stupid now?

i think a sligo punch would be more appropriate, but i'll spring for the beers.

i draw the line at inviting joe biden, though.

Awww c'mon!

You don't want any humorous gaffes at your gathering?

as anyone who knows me will tell you, i come fully equipped. :D

What does carrying a condom and a dildo have anything to do with humorous gaffes?

When Henry Louis Gates Jr., a prominent Harvard professor of African-American studies, was arrested for disorderly conduct by a white Cambridge police officer last summer, President Obama led a chorus of critics denouncing the local Police Department.

Gates, who is African-American, described his arrest as a “teaching moment’’ about race relations in America.

His case drew national attention to the relationship between policing and race. Obama wound up hosting Gates and the officer who arrested him for a so-called beer summit at the White House. And the arrest, for some, raised the question of whether officers disproportionately arrest blacks for disorderly conduct, considered one of the most discretionary and most abused charges in the nation’s criminal justice system.

But a review of the Cambridge department’s handling of disorderly conduct cases from 2004 to 2009 finds no evidence of racial profiling. Instead, the analysis by the New England Center for Investigative Reporting finds that the most common factor linking people who are arrested in Cambridge for disorderly conduct is that they were allegedly screaming or cursing in front of police.

Review finds no links to race, arrests - The Boston Globe

About NECIR-BU New England Center for Investigative Reporting at Boston University

del, it's Cambridge. They likely have no poor; it isn't a major urban area and I hardly think you can draw too many conclusions from a police department that mainly interacts with wealthy whites.

Obama is right. He said the Cambridge police "acted stupidly" when they arrested Gates. They smartened up when the charges were dropped.

Obama is right... Is that even possible?

I remember when Obama said he didn't have all the facts, but the cops acted 'stupidly'. Well alrighty then! :lol:

That was what he said. He assumed racial profiling without the facts.

Makes one wonder if Obama is a racist. :eusa_think:

When Henry Louis Gates Jr., a prominent Harvard professor of African-American studies, was arrested for disorderly conduct by a white Cambridge police officer last summer, President Obama led a chorus of critics denouncing the local Police Department.

Gates, who is African-American, described his arrest as a “teaching moment’’ about race relations in America.

His case drew national attention to the relationship between policing and race. Obama wound up hosting Gates and the officer who arrested him for a so-called beer summit at the White House. And the arrest, for some, raised the question of whether officers disproportionately arrest blacks for disorderly conduct, considered one of the most discretionary and most abused charges in the nation’s criminal justice system.

But a review of the Cambridge department’s handling of disorderly conduct cases from 2004 to 2009 finds no evidence of racial profiling. Instead, the analysis by the New England Center for Investigative Reporting finds that the most common factor linking people who are arrested in Cambridge for disorderly conduct is that they were allegedly screaming or cursing in front of police.

About NECIR-BU New England Center for Investigative Reporting at Boston University

del, it's Cambridge. They likely have no poor; it isn't a major urban area and I hardly think you can draw too many conclusions from a police department that mainly interacts with wealthy whites.

clearly you've never been to cambridge.

City Of Cambridge - City of Cambridge Home Page

FTR -- I think the officer who punched the lady in the face for pushing him as he tried to stop her from jaywalking was way out of line.

Sometimes officers do act stupidly...In THIS case in Cambridge, the evidence shows they did not act stupidly OR in a racist manner at all.
Why are people still calling this a racial incident? It seemed pretty obvious , once all the facts were in, that this was a Town versus Gown incident.
You're welcome to your opinion. I think Crowley let class differences get the better of him. I give him and Gates both credit for being able to calm down and meet later for a beer. I give Obama props for arranging that. They all seem to have gotten over the incident. Too bad others aren't able to.

Yeah, kudos to the president for using this incident as a tool for his race baiting umm racial harmony agenda. :eusa_clap:

Obama is right. He said the Cambridge police "acted stupidly" when they arrested Gates. They smartened up when the charges were dropped.

Obama is right... Is that even possible?

I remember when Obama said he didn't have all the facts, but the cops acted 'stupidly'. Well alrighty then! :lol:

That was what he said. He assumed racial profiling without the facts.

obama said the cop acted stupidly, he DID NOT SAY or say that he assumed it was racial profiling....
those are YOUR THOUGHTS.

now Gates, he was screaming racial profiling left and right....

i still do not think cops should have the power to arrest someone, who has done nothing wrong, in their own home, for yelling at them....i don't care if the person is white or black, or the cop is white or black....the cop should be trained enough to handle yelling without pulling out his power to arrest.

i do not believe crowley was racist, i do believe he was STUPID to arrest gates for merely yelling at him.

SO, the investigation confirms the arresting police officer, Sgt. James Crowley "acted stupidly"

He arrested Gates because Gates called him names...

Tantrum-1.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting thread so far. Del found an interesting article and has been both praised for it and declared redundant/boring/pick your adjective for posting it. Guess which side has taken which side there. :)

Some still defend Gates for 'doing nothing wrong in his own house' when he wasn't doing nothing wrong in his own house but he was verbally assaulting a police officer at the time he was arrested. If police are going to be able to maintain the peace, they MUST have the authority to order people to stop breaking the peace which includes verbal assault on police officers and other citizens. Gates was ordered to back off. He didn't. He was arrested for THAT and not for 'doing nothing wrong in his own house.'

We can argue until the cows come home whether the officer could have handled that more productively, but to say that Gates was 'doing nothing wrong' is absurd.

President Obama was 100% wrong (think WEFT) in accusing the police of racial profiling in that incident when there was absolutely zero evidence or indication of that and he didn't even have all the facts about it. He seems to do that a lot doesn't he.

Gates was 100% wrong in berating a police officer for asking him for identification when a neighbor had reported somebody attempting to break into his house.

Had Gates in fact been a burglar pretending to be Gates, the police officer failed to verify that Gates was in fact who he said he was, I suppose the police officer would then be accused of neglecting his duty because it was a black person's house.

Hint to President Obama and all numbnuts who think like him: everything isn't about race. And until we stop assuming that everything is, racism will continue to fester amidst victim mentality, resentment, chips on shoulders, and from those who really REALLY like having that issue to complain about.

And yes Obama is racist just as are all people who automatically think RACE in all or most incidents involving a presumed WASP and somebody who isn't a WASP.

Interesting thread so far. Del found an interesting article and has been both praised for it and declared redundant/boring/pick your adjective for posting it. Guess which side has taken which side there. :)

Some still defend Gates for 'doing nothing wrong in his own house' when he wasn't doing nothing wrong in his own house but he was verbally assaulting a police officer at the time he was arrested. If police are going to be able to maintain the peace, they MUST have the authority to order people to stop breaking the peace which includes verbal assault on police officers and other citizens. Gates was ordered to back off. He didn't. He was arrested for THAT and not for 'doing nothing wrong in his own house.'

We can argue until the cows come home whether the officer could have handled that more productively, but to say that Gates was 'doing nothing wrong' is absurd.

President Obama was 100% wrong (think WEFT) in accusing the police of racial profiling in that incident when there was absolutely zero evidence or indication of that and he didn't even have all the facts about it. He seems to do that a lot doesn't he.

Gates was 100% wrong in berating a police officer for asking him for identification when a neighbor had reported somebody attempting to break into his house.

Had Gates in fact been a burglar pretending to be Gates, the police officer failed to verify that Gates was in fact who he said he was, I suppose the police officer would then be accused of neglecting his duty because it was a black person's house.

Hint to President Obama and all numbnuts who think like him: everything isn't about race. And until we stop assuming that everything is, racism will continue to fester amidst victim mentality, resentment, chips on shoulders, and from those who really REALLY like having that issue to complain about.

And yes Obama is racist just as are all people who automatically think RACE in all or most incidents involving a presumed WASP and somebody who isn't a WASP.

WOW, we are treading on new ground for the 'so called' defenders of free speech.

SO, the police, who are agents of the State, the government, MUST have the authority to stop free speech.

i'm sure a fair amount do, or do you think domestic violence calls never take place in someone's home and never result in someone getting arrested for disorderly conduct?

I guess I see VIOLENCE different than calling someone names.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will NEVER hurt me." kind of thing...

I also see the frustration in being accused of robbing ones own home, as being part of the stress behind Gates yelling.

If gates had been beating his wife in his own home or if he had committed any crime at all and then started going verbally ballistic, then i could see arresting him for yelling at the cop....

otherwise, no....I don't think cops should be arresting people in their own homes or on their own property when they are endangering NO ONE, and when they did not do anything wrong to have the cops approach them in the first place......then to me, the cop should recognize such, and just leave.....it is not the cops home, he does not rule another person's home....especially if the cop knew within a minute, the crime he thought had happened, DID NOT.

I know I differ with you on this, but there are so many REAL CRIMINALS out there, and the police are wasting tax payer's dime on innocent people like gates.

Care

maybe you should take this up with the person who called the cops?

why....? the passerby on the street sitting on the bench that called it in, thought she was doing the right thing? or at least the old lady talking to the girl who called it in, thought something could be amiss?

but crowly, in his report, reported within 3 minutes of being there, that there was NOTHING amiss and gates lived there.

i guess the first amendment means nothing? we have freedom of speech in this country, and unless your speech is physically going to cause harm, then we all should have protection of this freedom imho.

(and for the record i do NOT believe for one nano second that crowly made this decision to arrest gates because he was black.)

Cambridge police have a history of arresting people who assert their constitutional right to free speech?

if gates was yelling at me on his porch, with no threat of violence, should he be arrested....when i can simply walk away? i don't think so, not with the first amendment!!!

obama said the cop acted stupidly, he DID NOT SAY or say that he assumed it was racial profiling....
those are YOUR THOUGHTS.

Those were Obama's thoughts which he shared with the whole country during a speech he made a few days after the incident.

"I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played,"

The incident, Obama said, shows "how race remains a factor in this society."
Obama: Police who arrested professor 'acted stupidly' - CNN.com

Exactly...Then he would have been left only with the Do you know who I am, I'm a powerful Harvard professor card. Gates acted stupidly and so did Obama for pretending there was anything racist in the officers' procedure that day.
Do you think Officer Crowley acted stupidly that day too, or does he get a free pass?

We've been through this before, I think he followed proper procedure.

The procedure is wrong, so he did not follow proper procedure, he followed departmental procedure. No one should ever be arrested for mouthing off to cops, or not listening to them, or even walking away from them when they are talking. Police advocate for disorderly conduct laws to be able to arrest people who annoy them, and to keep people in their place.They all need to be scrapped.

Do you think Officer Crowley acted stupidly that day too, or does he get a free pass?

We've been through this before, I think he followed proper procedure.

The procedure is wrong, so he did not follow proper procedure, he followed departmental procedure. No one should ever be arrested for mouthing off to cops, or not listening to them, or even walking away from them when they are talking. Police advocate for disorderly conduct laws to be able to arrest people who annoy them, and to keep people in their place.They all need to be scrapped.

He was arrested for disorderly conduct and rightfully so...He was being loud and tumultuous and threatening to sue them for being racist as they attempted to positively identify him...It was his own stupid conduct that left the police with no choice but to control the situation as people began gathering in the street.

Forum List

Back