Who's stupid now?

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
When Henry Louis Gates Jr., a prominent Harvard professor of African-American studies, was arrested for disorderly conduct by a white Cambridge police officer last summer, President Obama led a chorus of critics denouncing the local Police Department.

Gates, who is African-American, described his arrest as a “teaching moment’’ about race relations in America.

His case drew national attention to the relationship between policing and race. Obama wound up hosting Gates and the officer who arrested him for a so-called beer summit at the White House. And the arrest, for some, raised the question of whether officers disproportionately arrest blacks for disorderly conduct, considered one of the most discretionary and most abused charges in the nation’s criminal justice system.

But a review of the Cambridge department’s handling of disorderly conduct cases from 2004 to 2009 finds no evidence of racial profiling. Instead, the analysis by the New England Center for Investigative Reporting finds that the most common factor linking people who are arrested in Cambridge for disorderly conduct is that they were allegedly screaming or cursing in front of police.

Review finds no links to race, arrests - The Boston Globe

http://necir-bu.org/wp/?page_id=2

When Henry Louis Gates Jr., a prominent Harvard professor of African-American studies, was arrested for disorderly conduct by a white Cambridge police officer last summer, President Obama led a chorus of critics denouncing the local Police Department.

Gates, who is African-American, described his arrest as a “teaching moment’’ about race relations in America.

His case drew national attention to the relationship between policing and race. Obama wound up hosting Gates and the officer who arrested him for a so-called beer summit at the White House. And the arrest, for some, raised the question of whether officers disproportionately arrest blacks for disorderly conduct, considered one of the most discretionary and most abused charges in the nation’s criminal justice system.

But a review of the Cambridge department’s handling of disorderly conduct cases from 2004 to 2009 finds no evidence of racial profiling. Instead, the analysis by the New England Center for Investigative Reporting finds that the most common factor linking people who are arrested in Cambridge for disorderly conduct is that they were allegedly screaming or cursing in front of police.

About NECIR-BU New England Center for Investigative Reporting at Boston University

:lol: Imagine that! Obama acted stupidly!

in their own homes? wonder how many of these cursing at police officers take place in these people's OWN homes, on their own property, that get arrested? ;)

in their own homes? wonder how many of these cursing at police officers take place in these people's OWN homes, on their own property, that get arrested? ;)

This is not a hypothetical situation...

• Banned

i'm sure a fair amount do, or do you think domestic violence calls never take place in someone's home and never result in someone getting arrested for disorderly conduct?

About NECIR-BU New England Center for Investigative Reporting at Boston University

Obama is right. He said the Cambridge police "acted stupidly" when they arrested Gates. They smartened up when the charges were dropped.

As I recall, there had been a number of break-ins in the neighborhood and the policeman was checking out the situation at Gates' house after a call from a neighbor. I believe it was Gates who actually started up the ruckus. What's a white cop to do? Would a black cop have done anything different? No. Gates simply would not have played the race card.

Obama is right. He said the Cambridge police "acted stupidly" when they arrested Gates. They smartened up when the charges were dropped.

the next time obama's right about anything will be the first time, but i admire your consistency

Granny, it was all discussed ad nauseum last summer. The police officer acted improperly. Case closed.

Obama is right... Is that even possible?

I remember when Obama said he didn't have all the facts, but the cops acted 'stupidly'. Well alrighty then! :lol:

That's good to know.

I still think contempt of cop is bullshit. Especially in your own home when you are doing nothing wrong.

i'm sure a fair amount do, or do you think domestic violence calls never take place in someone's home and never result in someone getting arrested for disorderly conduct?

I guess I see VIOLENCE different than calling someone names.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will NEVER hurt me." kind of thing...

I also see the frustration in being accused of robbing ones own home, as being part of the stress behind Gates yelling.

If gates had been beating his wife in his own home or if he had committed any crime at all and then started going verbally ballistic, then i could see arresting him for yelling at the cop....

otherwise, no....I don't think cops should be arresting people in their own homes or on their own property when they are endangering NO ONE, and when they did not do anything wrong to have the cops approach them in the first place......then to me, the cop should recognize such, and just leave.....it is not the cops home, he does not rule another person's home....especially if the cop knew within a minute, the crime he thought had happened, DID NOT.

I know I differ with you on this, but there are so many REAL CRIMINALS out there, and the police are wasting tax payer's dime on innocent people like gates.

Care

the next time obama's right about anything will be the first time, but i admire your consistency
Be a nice cur and take your bone and crawl back under the porch.

As I recall, there had been a number of break-ins in the neighborhood and the policeman was checking out the situation at Gates' house after a call from a neighbor. I believe it was Gates who actually started up the ruckus. What's a white cop to do? Would a black cop have done anything different? No. Gates simply would not have played the race card.

Exactly...Then he would have been left only with the Do you know who I am, I'm a powerful Harvard professor card. Gates acted stupidly and so did Obama for pretending there was anything racist in the officers' procedure that day.

I guess I see VIOLENCE different than calling someone names.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will NEVER hurt me." kind of thing...

I also see the frustration in being accused of robbing ones own home, as being part of the stress behind Gates yelling.

If gates had been beating his wife in his own home or if he had committed any crime at all and then started going verbally ballistic, then i could see arresting him for yelling at the cop....

otherwise, no....I don't think cops should be arresting people in their own homes or on their own property when they are endangering NO ONE, and when they did not do anything wrong to have the cops approach them in the first place......then to me, the cop should recognize such, and just leave.....it is not the cops home, he does not rule another person's home....especially if the cop knew within a minute, the crime he thought had happened, DID NOT.

I know I differ with you on this, but there are so many REAL CRIMINALS out there, and the police are wasting tax payer's dime on innocent people like gates.

Care

maybe you should take this up with the person who called the cops?

Forum List

Back