WHOO HOO! Keystone to build from Oklahoma to Gulf

Far preferable to tapping into those tar sands. Though this is going to be further motivation to try and do just that.

"We already have a huge chunk of the pipeline built, let's do the rest!"

Good. So when do you expect a drop in the price of gasoline in the US?

With all due respect the high price of our gas (mine too up here) is because of the taxes on it.

Every time drivers suffer, do you ever see a State government lower taxes to help their citizens?

Look this issue is right across the globe on taxation on such a necessity. I think when I was checking out the BBC (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the Brits are currently paying 1.51 pound per liter.

That's mainly taxation. And it's wrong for any government world wide to penalize their citizens this way.

Back to the pipeline, I'm just glad that people are going to get the jobs they were counting on.

The federal gas tax has remained unchanged at 18.4 cents for a gallon of gasoline (and 24.4 cents for diesel) for nearly two decades and the State vary.

U.S. Gasoline Taxes by State

The most taxes added (Conn and NY) is close to 70 cents per gallon. In Texas we pay an extra 38.4.

These rates are low compared to the developed world. From what I understand however our roads suck when compared to developed countries.

With all due respect the high price of our gas (mine too up here) is because of the taxes on it.

Every time drivers suffer, do you ever see a State government lower taxes to help their citizens?

Look this issue is right across the globe on taxation on such a necessity. I think when I was checking out the BBC (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the Brits are currently paying 1.51 pound per liter.

That's mainly taxation. And it's wrong for any government world wide to penalize their citizens this way.

Back to the pipeline, I'm just glad that people are going to get the jobs they were counting on.

That is incorrect. The price of gas in the US is much cheaper than in other areas of the world.

The current rise in prices is a direct result of the oil companies shutting down refineries to increase profit.

link please.

Did you follow the money to see who funded that study? When you have one study going against all the othes, it is usually wise to do that.

This article appeared on Forbes.com on October 20, 2011.

A recent study from researchers at Cornell University presented some curious findings on the economic impact of Keystone XL, a proposed multibillion dollar extension linking Canada’s rich supply of crude oil to major U.S. refining hubs. . . .

. . . .So what did the new study conclude? That a $7 billion investment won’t create jobs and may even cost jobs on net, and that the ability to move an additional 900,000 bpd to refineries won’t have the effect of lowering gas prices.

These claims simply defy economic logic — as well as every previous estimate of the economic impact of Keystone XL. Simply put, the study’s conclusions are specious, even absurd. . , , ,

In fact, the Keystone XL pipeline will give our country a more stable and cheaper source of fuel and create thousands of quality American jobs. And taxpayers (think Solyndra) will not risk a dime. . . .

Think of the public-policy benefits of the project, the sound private economics aside.
The United States currently consumes 25% of the world’s energy, but produces less than 5 percent. Heavily dependent on foreign oil, America imports 11 million barrels each day.
This need for foreign oil isn’t going to change anytime soon. The 2010 Annual Energy Outlook projects that over 40 percent of U.S. liquid fuel consumption will be supplied by imports through 2035. Global demand for oil will only rise too — 39% between 2005 and 2030. . , ,

Construction of Keystone XL will also deliver added jobs and tax revenue at a time when the country needs both. The project requires land to be prepared, miles of pipe to be welded and installed, and 30 new pumping facilities to be built and operated. Thousands of new construction jobs will be immediately necessary.

According to the Canadian Energy Research Institute, by 2019 employment directly related to Keystone XL could grow from 80,000 jobs to 179,000. If the flow of Canadian oil through the United States remains unchanged, however, total employment from the Keystone line will peak at 94,000 in 2019.

The respected Perryman Group found that across the entire economy, an increase in stable oil supplies would create 250,348 permanent jobs from gains in U.S. economic activity. Personal income gains from these jobs would amount to $6.5 billion, stimulating $2.3 billion of retail sales.

These compelling arguments about the benefits of Keystone XL have been giving environmentalists indigestion. Little surprise that the Cornell study is authored by a board member of Greenpeace Canada and financed by Goodman Group, a consulting firm that puts the interest of its environmentalist clients first.

The projections for employment are so low one wonders if the study examined the right pipeline project. But the study changes the game by calculating how many “green” jobs are foregone by the pipeline project to reach its conclusion. . . . .
CATO: The Keystone XL Energy Project Is Much More Than a Pipe Dream | Nebraska | Keystone XL Pipeline

That is incorrect. The price of gas in the US is much cheaper than in other areas of the world.

The current rise in prices is a direct result of the oil companies shutting down refineries to increase profit.

That has very little to do with it.

Most of this is from speculation.

This is expected.

The southern portion doesn't affect the Nebraska water supply.

As long as Keystone finds a way to get around the Nebraska water supply problem, I'm sure the President will approve the whole thing.

As far as gasoline prices go, however, the price of gas has risen to where it is because the oil companies have been shutting down refineries left and right.

Angry About High Gas Prices? Blame Shuttered Oil Refineries - Yahoo! Finance
from your link...
As a result, companies have chosen to shut down a handful of large refineries rather than continue to lose money on them.
they were shut down because they were not profitable, according to your source. NOT because they wanted to increase profits.

Good. So when do you expect a drop in the price of gasoline in the US?

The federal gas tax has remained unchanged at 18.4 cents for a gallon of gasoline (and 24.4 cents for diesel) for nearly two decades and the State vary.

The most taxes added (Conn and NY) is close to 70 cents per gallon. In Texas we pay an extra 38.4.

These rates are low compared to the developed world. From what I understand however our roads suck when compared to developed countries.

I'm posting on the fly because I'm trying to get my seed orders processed, but I thought I saw California at 60 cents per gallon on taxes.

Still lousy on conversion to metric even after all these years so bare with me.

And what's really scary. Your roads are better than our roads :lol: but we really have extreme weather conditions that in spring the roads heave like crazy.

Hell's bells in the dead of winter we have ice roads to get to far northern communities. We actually make roads of ice.

But to get back to pricing, I don't understand and I am slagging my own conservative government here as well, why our governments can't bend and give some relief to the average joes just trying to get to work.

Did you follow the money to see who funded that study? When you have one study going against all the othes, it is usually wise to do that.

A recent study from researchers at Cornell University presented some curious findings on the economic impact of Keystone XL, a proposed multibillion dollar extension linking Canada’s rich supply of crude oil to major U.S. refining hubs. . . .

. . . .So what did the new study conclude? That a $7 billion investment won’t create jobs and may even cost jobs on net, and that the ability to move an additional 900,000 bpd to refineries won’t have the effect of lowering gas prices.

These claims simply defy economic logic — as well as every previous estimate of the economic impact of Keystone XL. Simply put, the study’s conclusions are specious, even absurd. . , , ,

In fact, the Keystone XL pipeline will give our country a more stable and cheaper source of fuel and create thousands of quality American jobs. And taxpayers (think Solyndra) will not risk a dime. . . .

CATO: The Keystone XL Energy Project Is Much More Than a Pipe Dream | Nebraska | Keystone XL Pipeline

Your rebuttal was funded by the Cato Institute :eusa_eh: :clap2:

BTW- much of the tarsands are destined for export so the "cheaper source of fuel" fragment is somewhat dubious. The oil market is global and the Canadians want to export it to markets where the price is highest.
As to jobs, the initial estimate was 3-5K jobs. Now that the environmental impact has come into question the jobs estimate has been boosted up to @ 20K. :eusa_whistle: Coincidence? :doubt:

Oh yea, he supports the part that doesn't need his approval.............does anyone else see the BULL attached to that press release by Carney??

Who gives a flying flip what he thinks......if it creates jobs he'll take all the credit for it when in fact he had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I can't believe how many people continue to fall for this crap, over and over and over. If it comes out of the messiah's mouth they are down on their knees worshiping him.

Think of the public-policy benefits of the project, the sound private economics aside.
The United States currently consumes 25% of the world’s energy, but produces less than 5 percent. Heavily dependent on foreign oil, America imports 11 million barrels each day.
This need for foreign oil isn’t going to change anytime soon. The 2010 Annual Energy Outlook projects that over 40 percent of U.S. liquid fuel consumption will be supplied by imports through 2035. Global demand for oil will only rise too — 39% between 2005 and 2030. . , ,

Construction of Keystone XL will also deliver added jobs and tax revenue at a time when the country needs both. The project requires land to be prepared, miles of pipe to be welded and installed, and 30 new pumping facilities to be built and operated. Thousands of new construction jobs will be immediately necessary.

According to the Canadian Energy Research Institute, by 2019 employment directly related to Keystone XL could grow from 80,000 jobs to 179,000. If the flow of Canadian oil through the United States remains unchanged, however, total employment from the Keystone line will peak at 94,000 in 2019.

The respected Perryman Group found that across the entire economy, an increase in stable oil supplies would create 250,348 permanent jobs from gains in U.S. economic activity. Personal income gains from these jobs would amount to $6.5 billion, stimulating $2.3 billion of retail sales.

These compelling arguments about the benefits of Keystone XL have been giving environmentalists indigestion. Little surprise that the Cornell study is authored by a board member of Greenpeace Canada and financed by Goodman Group, a consulting firm that puts the interest of its environmentalist clients first.

The projections for employment are so low one wonders if the study examined the right pipeline project. But the study changes the game by calculating how many “green” jobs are foregone by the pipeline project to reach its conclusion. . . . .

What I want to know and by the end of the week I want to connect the dots why are the Rockefeller Brothers Fund and the co founder of Intel giving mega millions to enviro activists to attempt to block Keystone and try to derail Alberta's economy.

This really pisses me clean off.

Your rebuttal was funded by the Cato Institute :eusa_eh: :clap2:

BTW- much of the tarsands are destined for export so the "cheaper source of fuel" fragment is somewhat dubious. The oil market is global and the Canadians want to export it to markets where the price is highest.
As to jobs, the initial estimate was 3-5K jobs. Now that the environmental impact has come into question the jobs estimate has been boosted up to @ 20K. :eusa_whistle: Coincidence? :doubt:

Do you even know you have a union civil war over this issue? Not kidding.

Today, nearly 25,000 miles of petroleum pipelines exist within the Ogallala Aquifer, including 2,000 miles in Nebraska.

These pipelines transport about 730,000,000,000 barrels of crude oil across the aquifer – each year, including nearly 100,000,000 barrels of crude oil transported across the aquifer in Nebraska. After this oil is refined into gasoline, diesel fuel, aviation gas and other products, pipelines transport much of it back across the aquifer for use on Nebraska farms, ranches and roads.

Did the Republican governor make a direct request for the President to intervene, due to a possible water table threat, or not?

Because it's my understanding that it's pretty clear that he did.

Do you feel that state's rights should be thrown out the window when it comes to a corporation's profit? Because I certainly don't.

I'm posting on the fly because I'm trying to get my seed orders processed, but I thought I saw California at 60 cents per gallon on taxes.

Still lousy on conversion to metric even after all these years so bare with me.

And what's really scary. Your roads are better than our roads :lol: but we really have extreme weather conditions that in spring the roads heave like crazy.

Hell's bells in the dead of winter we have ice roads to get to far northern communities. We actually make roads of ice.

But to get back to pricing, I don't understand and I am slagging my own conservative government here as well, why our governments can't bend and give some relief to the average joes just trying to get to work.
38.5 cents in Florida. Both Texas & Florida are run by Republicans. Almost every tax, fee, and cost has has gone WAY up in the last ten years.

Not sure how many on this board understand the dire consequences of unions who backed the Sierra Club vs the union who needed the jobs.

I've put this up on other boards, I thought someone would have hit it here, but maybe I am mistaken. Are any of you seeing this in your press? I've had more than one person contact me from various boards thinking this has been hidden.

We're talking all hell is breaking loose and these union members and their leaders are outraged. And damned straight, as they should be.

Some of President Barack Obama’s biggest labor supporters are fuming over his Keystone XL pipeline verdict, but they may be angrier at their labor brethren than at the president himself.

Unions representing construction workers that would directly benefit from building the pipeline feel stabbed in the back by unions that joined environmental groups to congratulate Obama for killing the project.
Continue Reading

“People are pissed,” said one U.S. labor official who supports the proposed TransCanada pipeline. “The emotions are really, really raw right now. This is a big deal."

“It’s repulsive, it’s disgusting and we’re not going to stand idly by,” Laborers’ International Union of North America General President Terry O’Sullivan told POLITICO. “The rules have changed. So we’ll react accordingly.”

O’Sullivan said the first move will be to pull his union out of the BlueGreen Alliance — a coalition of environmental groups and labor unions that represented nearly all of the groups that signed a joint statement backing Obama. (The BlueGreen Alliance itself did not take a position on the pipeline.)

“Unions and environmental groups that have no equity in the work have kicked our members in the teeth,” O’Sullivan said. “And anger is an understatement as to how we feel about it. We’re not sitting at the same table as people that destroy our members’ lives.

Rest at link:

Keystone pipeline sparks labor civil war - Darren Goode - POLITICO.com

They will get the whole thing eventually and Obama will approve it. Making a political blow-up of this was stupid, now everyone has an opinion and a political stake and will try to horn in on the action. If this pipeline is such a good idea, why did they use it for a cheap political trap for the president?

It was a trap built, set and baited by the President. He just fell in.

Labor unions got thrown under the bus, just like I said when this all came out.

Last edited:
This is expected.

The southern portion doesn't affect the Nebraska water supply.

As long as Keystone finds a way to get around the Nebraska water supply problem, I'm sure the President will approve the whole thing.
As far as gasoline prices go, however, the price of gas has risen to where it is because the oil companies have been shutting down refineries left and right.

Angry About High Gas Prices? Blame Shuttered Oil Refineries - Yahoo! Finance

I hate to break it to you, but you are wrong. The Nebraska governor and the legislature solved that problem......but Obama played football with it and said his hand was forced and denied it.

From November 22, 2011......

Nebraska governor signs bills to reroute Keystone pipeline | Reuters

"Nebraska governor Dave Heineman signed into law on Tuesday bills to reroute the Keystone XL pipeline away from the ecologically sensitive Sandhills region."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back