Whom to Spend On: Geniuses or Retards?

I've been enjoying Dragon Joose lately. It's like malt liquor and an energy drink that tastes like grape soda. Mmmmm. I don't know why someone didn't think of this sooner. :)

DragonJOOSE_web.jpg

Wow, I wonder what race that stuff is targeting, I know several guys I work with that won't drink anything but "purple drank".......... not commenting on you A, just making an observation. Colt 45 had a specific demographic too just as KOOL cigarettes.:lol::lol::lol:

I don't care who they're targeting I'm just glad I found it! :tongue:

I took her use of the word 'retarded' to mean all mentally retarded AND delayed people, rather than just those people whose IQ is below 70. There are many, many mentally disabled people who do not fit the category of 'retarded', my son is one of them.

Because when you really, REALLY want to be offended that's how you do it. You take what was never said and you decide that's what was meant. Thanks for owning up, at least now I know why you were trying to trick me into making that kind of statement.

I wasn't trying to trick you; that's how I read your intention of the word 'retarded'. Did I misinterpret it? I tried pointing it out to you several times but you just cried 'PC shit' and left it at that. Stop being so defensive.

When you use the word 'retarded', specifically who are you talking about?

1. Retarded people (whose IQ are below 70; see the definition for mental retardation I gave)

OR

2. Retarded people as well as the stupid, the obtuse, the incompetent in some way (that would include learning disabled and any other mentally challenged person).

The second definition is who William Joyce was referring to when he called them 'retards'. Since you repeatedly refused to answer any question that wasn't in the OP, I read your 'retarded' word as the definition of the OP's 'retard'. They don't mean the same thing.

- Hmmm... ya think?

- I'll let you lead the way on that 1.

- And you know this how? Using that same super accurate intuition you used with me?

Because when you really, REALLY want to be offended that's how you do it. You take what was never said and you decide that's what was meant. Thanks for owning up, at least now I know why you were trying to trick me into making that kind of statement.

I wasn't trying to trick you; that's how I read your intention of the word 'retarded'. Did I misinterpret it? I tried pointing it out to you several times but you just cried 'PC shit' and left it at that. Stop being so defensive.

1. Retarded people (whose IQ are below 70; see the definition for mental retardation I gave)

OR

2. Retarded people as well as the stupid, the obtuse, the incompetent in some way (that would include learning disabled and any other mentally challenged person).

The second definition is who William Joyce was referring to when he called them 'retards'. Since you repeatedly refused to answer any question that wasn't in the OP, I read your 'retarded' word as the definition of the OP's 'retard'. They don't mean the same thing.

- Hmmm... ya think?

- And you know this how? Using that same super accurate intuition you used with me?

Stop being an ass, I just used the dictionary.

mental retardation (retarded): a developmental disorder characterized by a subnormal ability to learn and a substantially low IQ.

retard: Slang: Disparaging.
a. a mentally retarded person.
b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way

Mental retardation Definition | Definition of Mental retardation at Dictionary.com

Retard Definition | Definition of Retard at Dictionary.com

The OP is talking about the retarded, as well as the stupid, the obtuse, the ineffective in some way. I know this because he used the word retard.

When you use the word retarded you're not really addressing the OP. The OP wants to know should we spend money on 'geniuses or retards'. Not just the extreme of genius and retarded but those that fall into the in between as well. People with learning disabilities, people with special needs, people with delays. People like you and people like my son.

OR

- Hmmm... ya think?

Stop being an ass, I just used the dictionary.

mental retardation (retarded): a developmental disorder characterized by a subnormal ability to learn and a substantially low IQ.

retard: Slang: Disparaging.
a. a mentally retarded person.
b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way

Mental retardation Definition | Definition of Mental retardation at Dictionary.com

Retard Definition | Definition of Retard at Dictionary.com

The OP is talking about the retarded, as well as the stupid, the obtuse, the ineffective in some way. I know this because he used the word retard.

When you use the word retarded you're not really addressing the OP. The OP wants to know should we spend money on 'geniuses or retards'. Not just the extreme of genius and retarded but those that fall into the in between as well. People with learning disabilities, people with special needs, people with delays. People like you and people like my son.

- Why don't you show us how that's done.

- I remember people being called 'fag' in high school. I'm pretty sure it was just sort of a general insult (kinda the way 'retard' is). If someone started a thread titles: "Who should be allowed to marry, straights or fags" do you suppose they would be referring to homosexuals when they said 'fags' or just anyone they didn't happen to like?

Unlike you (apparently) I'm not set on a hair trigger when I see the word 'retard'. I'm giving WJ the benefit of the doubt. When he comes on and clears it up we'll see who was right, until then I remain unconvinced of the power of your intuition, you've already proven to me that it's flawed.

- Again, I think you need to check the batteries in your intuition. I'm pretty sure I know what I was thinking from my 1st post to this 1.

Now you can carry on with this BS if you'd like, but I'm done. I haven't attacked the retarded or the merely slow so I'm not going to be apologizing for it. I'm not going to respond to anymore of the "Amanda is soooo mean to the retard/slow/whatever term you want to use" witch hunt posts anymore, it's stupid and boring. Stupid shit like this is why I wander off and don't post here for weeks or months at a time - I can't fucking believe people actually engage in such utter wastes of time. I can't believe people have such a deep seated need to argue and demonize that they just make shit up, pin it on someone else, and start throwing eggs at them.

Amanda, where did I say you 'attacked the retarded'? Where is this 'boo hoo poor Amanda' coming from? And why do you keep putting words into my mouth? I'm not 'set on a hair trigger when I see the word retard'. I could give a crap about PC shit, as I've posted numerous times. I've noticed you insist on ignoring that.

You don't need the OP to come in and 'clear things up'. The OP's first line reads: "Across the nation, we spend billions on retards through "special education". My son, who isn't retarded, is in special ed. Special ed doesn't just refer to mentally retarded, in includes the in between as well. There's a difference between retarded and retard and I just showed you what the OP meant, yet there you are rambling on about me and some 'intuition' crap. wtf? It's ok to admit that you misunderstood.

Do you think money should be spent on geniuses or on special needs ('retards')? Again, you and my son fall into the second category.

I call BS on the OP as my experience is that money is spent on geniuses and gifted people. I think more money should go to special ed because they are the people who cannot help themselves and who will never have the opportunities that geniuses will have. I agree with rightwinger and diuretic.

I can't believe people have such a deep seated need to argue and demonize that they just make shit up, pin it on someone else, and start throwing eggs at them.

None of which I've done. I just pointed out your mistake in what the OP meant. Sensitive little thing, aren't ya?

Last edited:
Across the nation, we spend billions on retards through "special education".

We barely put a dime on the really smart, or "gifted" students.

Is this is a good policy?

Have we got to a point where we fetishize and worship the lesser, while denigrating the better? A dictatorship of the lowest common denominator?

No. It's a retarded policy and does not serve the best interests of society at large.

Why do I say this? Because as I've said before, you can throw a cat out of a second story window a hundred times and it will still never learn how to fly. So, it's more than retarded to throw it out a hundred more times in the hopes that it will. I'm not saying we shouldn't support the lowest on the intellectual spectrum, but we most certainly shouldn't be fooling ourselves about their potential and wasting gobs of money in the process.

This has always been a favorite topic of mine. I hate to see the thread boged down in the ethics of calling people who qualify for Special Education, "retards," but the fact is its much easier to use the word "retard." No offense is really intended, but the use really is very misleading because it doesn't begin to describe all the various and sundry qualifications there are for a person being in Special Ed.

The intent of the Federal Law requiring the Education of Special Ed Students was to recognise them as citizens that, before the Act, were often warehoused, institutionalized, or just kept in attics or basements or imprisoned. God knows what else.......

The Feds never funded this horrifically expensive undertaking, and it was with more than a little reluctance that it was signed into law.....but, who's going to take money away from the emotionally disturbed, retarded, cripple that might one day be YOUR CHILD?

Forum List

Back