Whom to Spend On: Geniuses or Retards?

For the record, I don't care. When you can post a link from some official source that says that term isn't valid I'll consider using a different 1, but I currently don't know a different 1.

All this blather about whether it's the right term or not is a dodge. And it's a boring 1 at that. The topic isn't what should we call retarded people, it's who should we spend more money on.

Your apathy is the #1 thing that is wrong with our generation. You seem to be a shining example of that.

As for spending $$$, special education is an after thought in most public school systems. They are lucky they get any money at all.

As for another term, the correct term is mentally challenged.

K-12 Schools are designed mostly to prepare people for college.

:eek:

You've got to be kidding.

All that, bell rings! start working. Bell rings stop working go to another place. Bell rings start working. Bell rings eat your lunch. Bell rings start working. Bell rings...

that is to prepare people for college? Seriously?

I think a better explanation is that it's designed to make people to be good little cogs in nice big machines.

Your homework assignment is to read John Gatto's "Underground History of American Education".

if you work with developmentally disabled people you don't refer to them as retarded.

But um, I don't work with them. AFAIK, retarded is a valid term.

Technically, you could refer to black people as coloreds and we'd know what you were talking about.

But others may not have a very high opinion of you.

Good thing I'm not approaching this as a popularity contest then, isn't it?

Again, if you find the subject of "What should we call retarded people" fascinating then you should probably start a thread about it, because that's NOT the subject of this 1.

Again, if you find the subject of "What should we call retarded people" fascinating then you should probably start a thread about it, because that's NOT the subject of this 1.

No, it's not. It's another WJ attempt at trying to put down another group of people.

For the record, I don't care. When you can post a link from some official source that says that term isn't valid I'll consider using a different 1, but I currently don't know a different 1.

All this blather about whether it's the right term or not is a dodge. And it's a boring 1 at that. The topic isn't what should we call retarded people, it's who should we spend more money on.

Your apathy is the #1 thing that is wrong with our generation. You seem to be a shining example of that.

As for spending $$$, special education is an after thought in most public school systems. They are lucky they get any money at all.

And short people are vertically challenged, the garbage man is a sanitation engineer, blah blah blah. Pull your head out of your PC ass and focus on what's important not ridiculous semantics. It's not apathy, it's putting my priority somewhere else than political correctness.

This is an example of liberal thinking that doesn't make sense to me: if we just use nicey nice terms we're helping! No you're not. You're giving the problem another name, you're not solving anything.

And short people are vertically challenged, the garbage man is a sanitation engineer, blah blah blah. Pull your head out of your PC ass and focus on what's important not ridiculous semantics. It's not apathy, it's putting my priority somewhere else than political correctness.

This is an example of liberal thinking that doesn't make sense to me: if we just use nicey nice terms we're helping! No you're not. You're giving the problem another name, you're not solving anything.

It's not being just "PC". It's called having respect for others, which you seem to be lacking in. Again, another prime example of how some people see our generation as a whole.

You can go ahead and not use "nicey nice" terms but don't go crying if someone calls you out when you call them something offensive.

you are a multi-challenged ****, un-PC enough for ya?

or will you play victim now, maybe one of your sugar daddies will come to the rescue.

or will you play victim now, maybe one of your sugar daddies will come to the rescue.

Now see, I'm pretty sure I have never used that word and I have no plans to. But you have made my point for me there L.K. I'm sure some people will be pissed at you saying that word. It will be ironic when they come to defend her though.

Now see, I'm pretty sure I have never used that word and I have no plans to. But you have made my point for me there L.K. I'm sure some people will be pissed at you saying that word. It will be ironic when they come to defend her though.

yeah, maybe they will come and build a spartan turtle around the poor lil girl who likes to dish it out but cannot take it.

but that is so last week.

i use the word **** for effect. and sometimes for affection.

It's not being just "PC". It's called having respect for others, which you seem to be lacking in. Again, another prime example of how some people see our generation as a whole.

You can go ahead and not use "nicey nice" terms but don't go crying if someone calls you out when you call them something offensive.

The point you seem to be expending a LOT of effort to avoid is that I'm not using the word "retarded" pejoratively. I'm not saying: "Those retards don't deserve jobs..." or whatever. I'm using it a simple way of describing a group of people. AFAIK, being diagnosed as retarded is something that has been done and continues to be done. Giving it a different name changes nothing. You didn't just make someone's life any better by giving their problem a different name and I didn't make it any worse for using the word I did.

The problem with being PC is the PC police are always moving the goal line. Todays offensive term is last weeks must-use term. Words like: moron and imbecile used to be accepted descriptive terms (and I believe they may still be for IQ test results). Then someone decided they were offensive so they went away. The bottom line here is that if people want to be offended they will regardless of intent.

If I had wanted to be insulting I sure could have come up with something with more sting than retarded, but that wouldn't make any sense because I have nothing against retarded people... well except that 1 that dug around in his greasy hair before making my sandwich, I didn't care for him much.

:lol:

Why would I care if you called me a ****? You don't know me so your opinion carries no weight. But don't use it on Skydancer, she'll come unhinged.

All of you, "she plays the victim" dorks don't even begin to get me, or it's just a knee-jerk reaction you have to anyone that calls you on your shit. I dunno.

But the hour grows late and I have a party to attend. Have fun staying in and playing on the interwebz. :lol:

:lol:

Why would I care if you called me a ****? You don't know me so your opinion carries no weight. But don't use it on Skydancer, she'll come unhinged.

All of you, "she plays the victim" dorks don't even begin to get me, or it's just a knee-jerk reaction you have to anyone that calls you on your shit. I dunno.

But the hour grows late and I have a party to attend. Have fun staying in and playing on the interwebz. :lol:

smooth, i eagerly await your next attention seeking antics.

As a genius myself, I think that we should definitely not spend less on the mentally challenged. .

If I ever need an ego transplant I hope you are the donor.

I don't have a superego, I merely state things factually. The term for people of my intelligence is genius, the term for my neighbor is obese, is it egotistical for me to know these mundane details? This thread is about whether more money should be spent on the education of people like myself by robbing it from the mentally challenged. I don't think that is very wise at all. It would only have negative consequences.

High IQ, perhaps? But I think the word genius is thrown around too lightly, in my estimation a genius is some one who transcends the norms of knowledge in their field or fields and creates a work that most in that field had never thought of, could perhaps not even dream of. There is as much act as there is thought in being a genius. Indeed there are a lot of intelligent people who do nothing, or even worse produce crap or harm.

To me genius must be proven by creation, not a simple IQ test.

I have higher apsirations for the term.

And if you do not have a super ego, I don't want it.

What is your Id like?

Last edited:
And attempting to expand this to include "children who have developmental problems" is also not what this is about. WJ made it very clear, we're discussing people that are retarded. Not a little slow, not with learning disabilities - retarded. Please try to stay on topic.

As for me and the real world... you should probably scroll back to around the time I joined where I talked about my own learning disabilities. I know what it's like to struggle and be called dumb because I couldn't keep up with the other kids.

WJ did no such thing. YOU made that assumption, Amanda. The thread title is "Whom to Spend On: Geniuses or Retards?" Retards not 'retarded'. Big fucking difference.

Retards would include all who weren't genuis or normal, it would include retarded but it would also include the stupid, the obtuse, or the ineffective in some way. Ineffective in some way . . . retards would include you, Amanda, as you've stated you have learning disabilities and that makes you ineffective in some way.

So tell me . . . at what point do we say 'fuck it, no more education for you retard . . . we're not going to get a good enough roi on you'?

Last edited:
And attempting to expand this to include "children who have developmental problems" is also not what this is about. WJ made it very clear, we're discussing people that are retarded. Not a little slow, not with learning disabilities - retarded. Please try to stay on topic.

As for me and the real world... you should probably scroll back to around the time I joined where I talked about my own learning disabilities. I know what it's like to struggle and be called dumb because I couldn't keep up with the other kids.

WJ did no such thing. YOU made that assumption, Amanda. The thread title is "Whom to Spend On: Geniuses or Retards?" Retards not 'retarded'. Big fucking difference.

Retards would include all who weren't genuis or normal, it would include retarded but it would also include the stupid, the obtuse, or the ineffective in some way. Ineffective in some way . . . retards would include you, Amanda, as you've stated you have learning disabilities and that makes you ineffective in some way.

So tell me . . . at what point do we say 'fuck it, no more education for you retard . . . we're not going to get a good enough roi on you'?

:lol: I've never, ever claimed to be smart. In fact, I don't want to be smart, all the smart people I know seem miserable and I'd rather be happy. But since you asked...

I think that pretty much started when I was in 3rd grade, it was subtle but I think that's the first time I remember begin marginalized by an "educator". By high school it was more than clear what our education system held for me, which was pretty much nothing. But enough about me, everytime I talk about myself I get accused of playing the victim. Funny how it's typically in response to something I've been asked, but hey, knees will jerk.

As for the OP... I gave WJ the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he doesn't think there's a difference in saying 'retards' and 'the retarded'. Not my place to judge. I think I understood his intent and I ran with it.

I think it's really interesting how so many want to pile on about whether or the term 'retarded' is offensive or not when it's not even what the thread is about. Why so much effort to change the subject is what I'm left wondering.Is it really that hard for so many of you to give an opinion on the OP?

No, it's not. It's another WJ attempt at trying to put down another group of people.

If you really believe that then maybe you should take it up with WJ. All I'm trying to do is discuss the topic, not put down anyone.

The thread title is "Whom to Spend On: Geniuses or Retards?" Retards not 'retarded'. Big fucking difference.

Is the subtle differentiation highlighted above similar to a Bass post discussing fags vs. faggots?

No.

Fag is an abbreviation of faggots. Retarded is used to describe someone with an IQ below 70. Retards also includes the stupid, the obtuse and the ineffective in some way . . . the last three don't mean retarded. Retard is also disparaging, demeaning and insulting.

Last edited:

:lol: I've never, ever claimed to be smart. In fact, I don't want to be smart, all the smart people I know seem miserable and I'd rather be happy. But since you asked...

I think that pretty much started when I was in 3rd grade, it was subtle but I think that's the first time I remember begin marginalized by an "educator". By high school it was more than clear what our education system held for me, which was pretty much nothing. But enough about me, everytime I talk about myself I get accused of playing the victim. Funny how it's typically in response to something I've been asked, but hey, knees will jerk.

I have no clue what learning disabilities you have, feel free to elaborate. What I"m asking you is . . . where do you draw the line in educating special needs people? Age 8? 12? 18? What criteria do you use to stop educating them?

You said you were (paraphrasing here) 'puzzled at all the retarded people you see working'. Puzzled? Do you not think they deserve to work or shouldn't be given the chance?

As for the OP... I gave WJ the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he doesn't think there's a difference in saying 'retards' and 'the retarded'. Not my place to judge. I think I understood his intent and I ran with it.

I think it's really interesting how so many want to pile on about whether or the term 'retarded' is offensive or not when it's not even what the thread is about. Why so much effort to change the subject is what I'm left wondering.Is it really that hard for so many of you to give an opinion on the OP?

I wasn't changing the subject by pointing out your error. There is a difference between retarded (IQ under 70) and retards (the stupid, the obtuse, the ineffective in some way). The term retards is also disparaging and demeaning, which was WJ's intent, imo.

Do you think that mentally developmentally challenged people are retarded?

Forum List

Back