Who would you like to see run against Obama?

Goofy would make a better President than Obama

goofy.jpg.w300h418.jpg

And I hear Sarah Palin is seriously considering a run!

you got your moderates
Bush was one, so was McCain
that didnt work out so well now did it?

Bush a moderate? I will agree he was anything but conservative, but the fact that neoconservatives are rooted in liberalism hardly makes the end result moderate.
As for McCain, I already addressed that in another post. He tacked right to win the nomination, then tacked right again for the general. IMO, he got stuck between demanding donors, bad advisors and the inner workings of the GOP - but he was no longer a moderate either.
so you are saying he sold out to the neocons(who are more liberal) and that you wanted someone even MORE liberal than that?

Good God no! First, neocons are corrupted liberals, not liberals themselves. Second, I wouldn't want a "liberal". We have one of those in the WH now, and if I decide not to vote for him again in '12 why would I look for another just like him? No, I want a pragmatist. Somebody to whom ideological labels don't necessarily apply.

I know, I know, keep dreaming.....

Last edited:
Bush a moderate? I will agree he was anything but conservative, but the fact that neoconservatives are rooted in liberalism hardly makes the end result moderate.
As for McCain, I already addressed that in another post. He tacked right to win the nomination, then tacked right again for the general. IMO, he got stuck between demanding donors, bad advisors and the inner workings of the GOP - but he was no longer a moderate either.
so you are saying he sold out to the neocons(who are more liberal) and that you wanted someone even MORE liberal than that?

Good God no! First, neocons are corrupted liberals, not liberals themselves. Second, I wouldn't want a "liberal". We have one of those in the WH now, and if I decide not to vote for him again in '12 why would I look for another just like him? No, I want a pragmatist. Somebody to whom ideological labels don't necessarily apply.

LOL
i dont think they exist in politics today, nor could they ever win an election

LOL

Well, the OP did ask who I would like to see run, not who I expect to see. :redface:
I'm thinking it'll be the same old same old choice hoping to get the least worst. But I can dream, right?

LOL

Well, the OP did ask who I would like to see run, not who I expect to see. :redface:
I'm thinking it'll be the same old same old choice hoping to get the least worst. But I can dream, right?
Bush was pragmatic in some things
so was Clinton
but then they had to work with the other side in order to get anything done
neither had what Obama has now

LOL

so was Clinton

Clinton was more pragmatic, IMO. Bush was ideological. But what Obama has now is what I voted for. The GOP took the country and ran to the neocon right with it, I felt and still fell we needed a spell of liberalism as a correction to center.
As far as Obama himself, I voted for him knowing I wouldn't agree with him all the time and am still in wait and see mode. He's overall liberal but also pragmatic in some ways, although I'm not sure I have quite his tolernace for risk.

so was Clinton

Clinton was more pragmatic, IMO. Bush was ideological. But what Obama has now is what I voted for. The GOP took the country and ran to the neocon right with it, I felt and still fell we needed a spell of liberalism as a correction to center.
As far as Obama himself, I voted for him knowing I wouldn't agree with him all the time and am still in wait and see mode. He's overall liberal but also pragmatic in some ways, although I'm not sure I have quite his tolernace for risk.
but the neocons are NOT right
thats the point
Bush didnt go to the right as much as he went to the left

so was Clinton

thats the point

Neocons are definitely right on the political spectrum. They are corrupted autocratic liberals, the word "liberal" not necessarily meaning they belong on the left. Neocons have more in common with fascists than traditional liberals - or traditional conservatives as we think of them. Both of those are more libertarian (small-l) and therefore more left, liberal being further left than conservative.

thats the point

Neocons are definitely right on the political spectrum. They are corrupted autocratic liberals, the word "liberal" not necessarily meaning they belong on the left. Neocons have more in common with fascists than traditional liberals - or traditional conservatives as we think of them. Both of those are more libertarian (small-l) and therefore more left, liberal being further left than conservative.
how can that be?
when most neocons were democrats and support huge government

thats the point

how can that be?
when most neocons were democrats and support huge government

What do you mean, how can that be?
"Most" neocons have probably not been Dems, but the founders of neocon thought were Carter-era disillusioned liberals. They became autocratic, allied themselves in the late 70's with the theocratic far right, and the rest is history....
What we think of as "left" and "right" in popular American usage isn't necessarily formally correct.

Where are neocons right on the political spectrum? What neocons actually represent are the old Scoop Jackson Democrats. Guns and roses people, strong defense and in favor of social spending of the sort Bush gave us in droves and Obama is giving us even more of. They are big government people and barely conservative. Are they more right than Obama? Of course every one with two brain cells to put together is further right than Obama.

Y-vwk4.jpg

Gary "Veto" Johnson

Johnson's Seven Principles of Good Government:
1. Become reality driven. Don’t kid yourself or others. Find out what’s what and base your decisions and actions on that.

2. Always be honest and tell the truth. It’s extremely difficult to do any damage to anybody when you are willing to tell the truth–regardless of the consequences.

3. Always do what’s right and fair. Remember, the more you actually accomplish, the louder your critics become. You’ve got to learn to ignore your critics. You’ve got to continue to do what you think is right. You’ve got to maintain your integrity.

4. Determine your goal, develop a plan to reach that goal, and then act. Don’t procrastinate.

5. Make sure everybody who ought to know what you’re doing knows what you’re doing. Communicate.

6. Don’t hesitate to deliver bad news. There is always time to salvage things. There is always time to fix things. Henry Kissinger said that anything that can be revealed eventually should be revealed immediately.

7. Last, be willing to do whatever it takes to get your job done. If you’ve got a job that you don’t love enough to do what it takes to get your job done, then quit and get one that you do love, and then make a difference.

He apparently ran a clean campaign for his election to the governorship and re-election, never mentioning his opponent at all.

Not really who you would think would win, but who would you put the most effort to support?
Ron Paul? Mitt? Boehner? Gingrich?

ron Paul 1st for me, followed by Boehner and Gingrich...

Excuse me... Ron Paul is a year older than McCain, and most everyone I know was bitching that McCain was too old to be running for President (Palin was a heartbeat away from the Presidency ya know). Don't the Republicans have fresh meat to put on the table?

I don't have a dog in the partisan fight, but I'd love to see some new blood carry the GOP standard. One with some new ideas too.

Really? Some of the later posts here don't seem to back that up, but it could be that I'm misreading them. There is new blood, and I'm wondering why only the old dogs' names were mentioned.

Excuse me... Ron Paul is a year older than McCain, and most everyone I know was bitching that McCain was too old to be running for President (Palin was a heartbeat away from the Presidency ya know). Don't the Republicans have fresh meat to put on the table?

I don't have a dog in the partisan fight, but I'd love to see some new blood carry the GOP standard. One with some new ideas too.

Really? Some of the later posts here don't seem to back that up, but it could be that I'm misreading them. There is new blood, and I'm wondering why only the old dogs' names were mentioned.

Nope, I lean a bit Dem on a lot of issues but am not one of them either. I just have no respect for neocons and what they stand for, as opposed to conservatives who I agree with less often but are the necessary balance. Neocons pretend to be something they're not (conservative) and to support things they don't (liberty), which makes them immediately suspect IMO.
On the GOP side, I personally like Crist. But since he'll be a newbie in the Senate I doubt he'll run. Pawlenty was wounded by his unfortunate involvement in the Coleman saga. Is there anyone else with the stature?

Nope, I lean a bit Dem on a lot of issues but am not one of them either. I just have no respect for neocons and what they stand for, as opposed to conservatives who I agree with less often but are the necessary balance. Neocons pretend to be something they're not (conservative) and to support things they don't (liberty), which makes them immediately suspect IMO.
On the GOP side, I personally like Crist. But since he'll be a newbie in the Senate I doubt he'll run. Pawlenty was wounded by his unfortunate involvement in the Coleman saga. Is there anyone else with the stature?

Jindal. Coburn, Sen. from OK. Gregg, Sen. from NH.

I doubt Coburn is interested. And he's not exactly a spring chicken himself. The average age of president virtually since the country began is mid fifties. And youth is seldom a guarantee of intellectual gravitas. Witness our current reader and chief.

What sort of new Ideas you got in mind?

Gary "Veto" Johnson

Johnson's Seven Principles of Good Government:
1. Become reality driven. Don’t kid yourself or others. Find out what’s what and base your decisions and actions on that.

2. Always be honest and tell the truth. It’s extremely difficult to do any damage to anybody when you are willing to tell the truth–regardless of the consequences.

3. Always do what’s right and fair. Remember, the more you actually accomplish, the louder your critics become. You’ve got to learn to ignore your critics. You’ve got to continue to do what you think is right. You’ve got to maintain your integrity.

4. Determine your goal, develop a plan to reach that goal, and then act. Don’t procrastinate.

5. Make sure everybody who ought to know what you’re doing knows what you’re doing. Communicate.

6. Don’t hesitate to deliver bad news. There is always time to salvage things. There is always time to fix things. Henry Kissinger said that anything that can be revealed eventually should be revealed immediately.

7. Last, be willing to do whatever it takes to get your job done. If you’ve got a job that you don’t love enough to do what it takes to get your job done, then quit and get one that you do love, and then make a difference.

Yikes..........Obama doesnt meet one single principle for the gay...............

poar01_obama0803-4.jpg

Forum List

Back