3. Glenn Ford
  4. Charleston Heston
  5. Jimmy Stewart
  6. Spencer Tracy
  7. Henry Fonda
  8. Dude from Casablanca
  9. Robert De Nero
  10. Dustin Hoffman
Who do you think when you see them on screen, makes you proud to be an American?

Dustin Hoffman by far. DEpp was very good too, but not nearly as good as Hoffman at genuine acting.

Most on the list are screen personalities, not really actors. Fonda could play both 'good guys' and believable 'bad guys'.

Outside of Hoffman, Harry DEan Stanton was a better actor than most on that list, as is Meryl Streep and Ashley Judd.

Jackie Gleason was also better as well. Any number of actors were better.

Last edited:
None on that list for me. Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Johnny Depp, Seymour Hoffman (RIP) among others. Honourable mentions to Downey Jr and Matt Damon.

Mel Blanc

1676230740825.png

There is no way you could get that down to one person.
Let's take the performance of James McAvoy in "Split".
Wow. What a performance. Amazing portrayal.
But I would not consider him the greatest, just one of the greatest jobs of portraying a character.

Actor...greatest American actor.....and you mention proud to be American... well then do you mean the greatest actor who pretends to be all those things fooling all of us when in reality IS NOT (which is many of them) or the greatest American actor who is not only a great actor but a great role model for Americans and has the traits that make americans and america Great?? because i will have different candidates.

Who is the greatest American actor?​

My all time favorites

Jimmy Stewart
Paul Newman
Gregory Peck

Forum List

Back