Who is the greatest American actor?

It is difficult. Perhaps dividing it into eras is part of the equation. With the eras overlapping each other. There are so many actors who were good on the screen and having good scripts to maximize their talents. We see films on the many channels that are repeated much more than others for a reason. Even with ownership rights involved. Armageddon is shown ten times more and more than that on TV then Deep Impact. It affects actors involved. Or at least some of them.

The actor most exemplifying american greatness off and on screen would have to be John Wayne.

what about actresses..

Who is the greatest American actor?
  1. John Wayne
  2. Gary Cooper
  3. Glenn Ford
  4. Charleston Heston
  5. Jimmy Stewart
  6. Spencer Tracy
  7. Henry Fonda
  8. Dude from Casablanca
  9. Robert De Nero
  10. Dustin Hoffman
Who do you think when you see them on screen, makes you proud to be an American?
Charlton Heston.

I also had respect for John Wayne.... But more as the man himself than as an actor. Personally I thought his acting was kind of silly. However later when I heard him speak plainly about his personal ideas and feelings about things I started to have real respect for the man. It had absolutely nothing to do with his macho role playing.

Piss Pants .A brilliant long running performance .

Greatest puppet comedian ever .

Cary Grant -- runner-up .

Charlton Heston.

I also had respect for John Wayne.... But more as the man himself than as an actor. Personally I thought his acting was kind of silly. However later when I heard him speak plainly about his personal ideas and feelings about things I started to have real respect for the man. It had absolutely nothing to do with his macho role playing.
It's kind of funny I feel the way I do about the Duke, since I am a liberal.

It's kind of funny I feel the way I do about the Duke, since I am a liberal.
All good. I'm not in here to judge. It's a thread about Hollywood, not politics. I've had liberal friends in the past. We didn't always agree but most of the time it wasnt a huge deal. I'm only moderately conservative. Kind of why my screen name is what it is. I'm not really left or right.

Forum List

Back