Who Is The Best Guitar Player?

So can any HS music teacher.It's all scaling and vibrato
I've never known anyone to play with a scalloped fretboard
except for Yngwie & Billy Sheehan on his bass.
1602801002723.png

In no particular order.
Jerry Garcia
Mark Knopfler
Gary Hoey
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Not for their style or anything other than I like their sound.

"I think I shouldn't be rated as a guitarist! Rating guitarists is a stupid hobby. I'm a composer, and my instrument is the guitar. If you like the composition, fine. My technique as a guitar player is fair. There are plenty of people who play faster than I do, never hit a wrong note, and have a lovely sound. If you want to rate guitar players, go for them. But there isn't anybody else who'll take the chances that I will take with a composition onstage in front of an audience, and just go out there and have the nerve, the ultimate audacity to say, 'Okay, I don't know what I'm going to play, and you don't know what I'm going to play, and that makes us equal. So let's go-we'll have an adventure here.' That's what I do. There's no way to rate that. You either like that kind of entertainment or you don't. I'd rather have the ups and downs than the assuredness that I was going to go out there and amaze everybody with technique. I want to hear some music, and the challenge for me is writing an instant composition while I'm playing. That's what I do. I Must say, in all fairness, that without being rated, I know there are people out there who love what I do on guitar." -- Frank Zappa

71aoHN4Fg4L._SL1400_.jpg
I understand and agree with with this pick on many levels, as I recognize the genius of Zappa. But that’s my heart talking.

If you are looking for the serious answer to this question, it’s Joe Pass. He’s the greatest guitarist who ever lived and he is the man who Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, Larry Carlton, or any of the greats would immediately - no hesitation - cite as the greatest guitarist. Because they’ve all been quoted saying it.

Larry Carlton, who I believe is the greatest living guitarist, and a Top 5 all-time, said in a Guitar Player interview that he once went to Joe Pass for a lesson. He said it took him over a year of practice to be able to incorporate that lesson into his normal playing.

Other than Carlton, the best one out there is Al DiMeola.

1 Joe Pass
2 Wes Montgomery
3 Larry Carlton
4 Chet Atkins
5 Django Reinhardt
6 Al DiMeola
Towards the end of Zappa song "Packard Goose", Warren Cuccurullo plays an insane Palm muted Al Dimeola outro and Ike Willis says, "sounds like an Arrogant Gypsy"

Al actually plays with Zappa on one of the You Can't Do that on Stage Anymore Cds
I didn’t know that! I wonder what Warren has been doing? I keep tabs on Terry Bozzio, Vinny Colaiuta, Steve Vai to a certain extent, but haven’t heard about Cuccurullo in ages.

(For the uninitiated reading this, Al DiMeola’s breakout album was ‘Elegant Gypsy’). I don’t know if he’s arrogant or not but I’ve met plenty of arrogant musicians in my career who don’t have 1/10 of his talent. So if he is, he’s earned it.

LOL

The "Arrogant Gypsy" was Zappa having fun is all, he likes Al

1602809140032.jpeg

Those early British players are a special bunch for sure.
Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Richie Blackmore, Pete Townshend, David Gilmour - those 5 were a huge influence on the music world.

Those SIX :71:
They should all get monthly honorary dividends in Fender, Gibson and Marshall stocks. Can you just imagine how many Fender Stratocasters just Eric Clapton
probably sold ? Millions easily.

Who hates the Eagles? Hell that would be downright un American. Hell even the Chinese love the Eagles. I was in Shanghai for a month and that was about all I heard, Hotel California over and over again everywhere I went.
Eagles greatest hits is still #6 all time.
Pretty damn good.

Who hates the Eagles? Hell that would be downright un American. Hell even the Chinese love the Eagles. I was in Shanghai for a month and that was about all I heard, Hotel California over and over again everywhere I went.
I’m not a big Eagles fan but:
  • I think Henley is one of the finest male vocalists of the past 50 years
  • I think they have fantastic harmonies
  • Glenn Frey was a great songwriter
  • Joe Walsh is a really versatile guitarist
  • They have a lot of really great songs

But I’ve never bought any of their albums, and I can take them or leave them.

It’s funny because I’m a big fan of both Jackson Browne and John David Souther, both closely associated with the Eagles.

Overall - Eric Johnson
I still love ‘Cliffs of Dover’.
I read somewhere or heard from another
guitar player that one of the secrets of his 'signature tone'
is using 2 digital delays on low settings, so subtle you can't really tell.

And that's not cheating or unnatural....it's genius when it sounds good.
Alex Lifeson's older work had some brutally complex chord arpeggio's but as he used more and more effects his playing sort of went downhill.

Last edited:
  • I think Henley is one of the finest male vocalists of the past 50 years
And some really boring ones, but who doesn't right ?

Yes. I'm a Jersey boy and I'm clearly superior to any of the wingnuts on this site.
Well I'm a damn yankee.
(Born in Brooklyn , New York - moved south and never looked back )
Born in Bklyn too Bed Sty
hey fellow New Yorkers...Niagara Falls here....
Does that count? You’re practically a Canadian! :lol:
out here were i am at in vegas i was picking up some drugs at CVS ...the kid waiting on me was from Niagara Falls Ontario.....that was a first for me....

Forum List

Back