Who is DeVos, the killer of public education.

Two things: I can remember when Amway was a fledgling company - basically the manufacture of environmentally friendly household products and then expanding to other products. While it was something of a pyramid-type setup, they helped a whole lot of people make money and improve their financial standing. There was a family who lived across from us ... he was a truck driver, she was a housewife and I think they had 4 children at that time. Don't know how they got involved with Amway, but it gave the wife an opportunity to make extra income for the family while she was cleaning, cooking, washing, ironing, taking care of 4 children who weren't even school age...and hubby is on the road all the time. Hell, I bought stuff from her because it was highly concentrated so you could use less and it was very effective and ultimately cost saving. If some of her friends wanted to sell, she could sign them up and get a cut off what they sold and if they could get their friends to sell then they too could take a cut from those sales. None of us were wealthy - it was a nice, clean, rather small blue collar neighborhood.

I think my graduating class was the last all-white class before blacks started attending the school. Brown v. Board of Education was several suits from different cities that were combined and brought to trial under Brown. It was handled terribly from the get-go. Black families had just as many fears for their children as whites did with busing their children from one side of town to the other in the interest of raising black education to the level of white education. This, that and the other theories were experimented with and the end result is that today both blacks and whites have inferior educations, in some cases, half educated and inferior teachers and the whole situation stinks to high heaven.

We need a whole new system. Period.

Trump said on stages across America saying he wanted to help inner city, blacks, when talking to white crowds , and how is this helping inner city blacks or inner city poor who go to public schools?
Thanks for proving how thoughtless you are. Had you listened to ANY of Trump's speeches you wouldn't have to ask the question. It's OK to be ignorant but it is not OK to base firm opinions on your ignorance. His belief is that without the stranglehold the left has on public ed children will be free to move onto better schools. That means white kids. Brown kids. Black kids. Purple kids.

What the end result would be is the same as anywhere else not artificially controlled, competition. Schools will need to up their game across the board. Yes, the net result would mean carving off the worthless sacks of shit teachers and hiring more good ones. That's why the unions will fight it like crazy but alas, their power has been greatly diminished. People have had enough.
How come back in the 70s whites were mad when we bussed black kids into their communities? We wanted to give those black kids a better education and whites didn't like it.

We should let blacks go to any public school they want regardless of where they live. Imagine a poor black from Detroit trying to go to Birmingham public schools. Those upper class white communities won't like school choice then

Oh Penny, you silly girl. There you go again valuing intentions over results.

We spend more per student that just about any other nation yet produce awful results. Hell yes kill public education as we know it! The time has come to try something different and to judge it by its results...not what the unions and nanny state collectivists HOPE for.

Don't worry, we can see your butthurt is acting up today. It won't always be this bad for you.

Trump said on stages across America saying he wanted to help inner city, blacks, when talking to white crowds , and how is this helping inner city blacks or inner city poor who go to public schools?
Thanks for proving how thoughtless you are. Had you listened to ANY of Trump's speeches you wouldn't have to ask the question. It's OK to be ignorant but it is not OK to base firm opinions on your ignorance. His belief is that without the stranglehold the left has on public ed children will be free to move onto better schools. That means white kids. Brown kids. Black kids. Purple kids.

What the end result would be is the same as anywhere else not artificially controlled, competition. Schools will need to up their game across the board. Yes, the net result would mean carving off the worthless sacks of shit teachers and hiring more good ones. That's why the unions will fight it like crazy but alas, their power has been greatly diminished. People have had enough.
How come back in the 70s whites were mad when we bussed black kids into their communities? We wanted to give those black kids a better education and whites didn't like it.

We should let blacks go to any public school they want regardless of where they live. Imagine a poor black from Detroit trying to go to Birmingham public schools. Those upper class white communities won't like school choice then
Busing wasn't voluntary on either end. Anyone with a brain opposed it.

Hopefully she will not get vetted. The Rich working for the Rich.

For nearly 30 years, as a philanthropist, activist and Republican fund-raiser, she has pushed to give families taxpayer money in the form of vouchers to attend private and parochial schools, pressed to expand publicly funded but privately run charter schools, and tried to strip teacher unions of their influence.

A daughter of privilege, she also married into it; her husband, Dick, who ran unsuccessfully for governor of Michigan a decade ago, is heir to the Amway fortune. Like many education philanthropists, she argues that children’s ZIP codes should not confine them to failing schools.

But Ms. DeVos’s efforts to expand educational opportunity in her home state of Michigan and across the country have focused little on existing public schools, and almost entirely on establishing newer, more entrepreneurial models to compete with traditional schools for students and money. Her donations and advocacy go almost entirely toward groups seeking to move students and money away from what Mr. Trump calls “failing government schools.”

SNIP

Even some groups that share her support for charter schools worried that picking someone so closely identified as a champion of vouchers signaled that the Trump administration would try to starve public schools.

As a candidate, Mr. Trump proposed steering $20 billion in existing federal money toward vouchers that families could use to help pay for private or parochial schools, perhaps tapping into $15 billion in so-called Title I money that goes to schools that serve the country’s poorest children. He called school choice “the civil rights issues of our time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/u...s-steered-money-from-public-schools.html?_r=0
The Federal Government only accounts for ten percent of our educational system. Most of it is local.

Trump will allow more charter and magnet schools but will provide no additional funding for education

It will fail miserably

We spend more per student that just about any other nation yet produce awful results. Hell yes kill public education as we know it! The time has come to try something different and to judge it by its results...not what the unions and nanny state collectivists HOPE for.

Don't worry, we can see your butthurt is acting up today. It won't always be this bad for you.

She has been around a long time, Common Core comes to mind. No I do not want my grandchildren thinking Noah's Ark was real and also that Adam and Eve were the first two adults. We can never let her husband become governor of MI. as well. She will be a disaster. Just like Trump.

She has been around a long time, Common Core comes to mind. No I do not want my grandchildren thinking Noah's Ark was real and also that Adam and Eve were the first two adults. We can never let her husband become governor of MI. as well. She will be a disaster. Just like Trump.

Thanks for proving my point. Intentions rules results in the sheeple's group think mentality.

So sad.

Hopefully she will not get vetted. The Rich working for the Rich.

For nearly 30 years, as a philanthropist, activist and Republican fund-raiser, she has pushed to give families taxpayer money in the form of vouchers to attend private and parochial schools, pressed to expand publicly funded but privately run charter schools, and tried to strip teacher unions of their influence.

A daughter of privilege, she also married into it; her husband, Dick, who ran unsuccessfully for governor of Michigan a decade ago, is heir to the Amway fortune. Like many education philanthropists, she argues that children’s ZIP codes should not confine them to failing schools.

But Ms. DeVos’s efforts to expand educational opportunity in her home state of Michigan and across the country have focused little on existing public schools, and almost entirely on establishing newer, more entrepreneurial models to compete with traditional schools for students and money. Her donations and advocacy go almost entirely toward groups seeking to move students and money away from what Mr. Trump calls “failing government schools.”

SNIP

Even some groups that share her support for charter schools worried that picking someone so closely identified as a champion of vouchers signaled that the Trump administration would try to starve public schools.

As a candidate, Mr. Trump proposed steering $20 billion in existing federal money toward vouchers that families could use to help pay for private or parochial schools, perhaps tapping into $15 billion in so-called Title I money that goes to schools that serve the country’s poorest children. He called school choice “the civil rights issues of our time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/u...s-steered-money-from-public-schools.html?_r=0
Michigan said no to Betsy and dick devos and their ideas.

So why are they now running the federal government? Their own state told them no.

I guess people with money don't take no for an answer

I actually agree. If people who rely on public schools voted GOP then you guys get to do all your stuff. Sorry Penelope but the American people get what they deserve. If we are right eventually what they do will be undone but don't cry after the election

I actually agree. If people who rely on public schools voted GOP then you guys get to do all your stuff. Sorry Penelope but the American people get what they deserve. If we are right eventually what they do will be undone but don't cry after the election
What does that even mean? Rely of public ed and vote GOP?

The woman looks pretty sharp to me, DeVos wants parents to have the ability to take their kids of of a worthless school and put them in a decent one. It's a damn shame it hasn't been this way all along. It's made public ed fat sloppy and self serving. Competition will make it great again.

The woman looks pretty sharp to me, DeVos wants parents to have the ability to take their kids of of a worthless school and put them in a decent one. It's a damn shame it hasn't been this way all along. It's made public ed fat sloppy and self serving. Competition will make it great again.
I've disagreed and so does America but because this issue wasn't important this year people who disagree still voted triumph. Now they can't cry if Republicans do Republican things.

Her agenda is not popular but still with her money she gets to implement them. See? The rich get their way no matter what.

This isn't about fixing public schools it's about tax breaks for people who send their kids to private school.

Just do whatever you want. The people who send their kids to public schools deserve you dick and betsy

I've disagreed and so does America but because this issue wasn't important this year people who disagree still voted triumph. Now they can't cry if Republicans do Republican things.

Her agenda is not popular but still with her money she gets to implement them. See? The rich get their way no matter what.

This isn't about fixing public schools it's about tax breaks for people who send their kids to private school.

Just do whatever you want. The people who send their kids to public schools deserve you dick and betsy
Huh? If the tax payer takes their kids elsewhere that's where the taxes need to go. Competition always produces a better product. We don't need you to decide for us. Unpopular where? HuffPo?

Huh? If the tax payer takes their kids elsewhere that's where the taxes need to go. Competition always produces a better product. We don't need you to decide for us. Unpopular where? HuffPo?

In Michigan the Devos' were soundly defeated. But don't worry, the rich will get their way. They will defund public schools. THat'll benefit you how?

Forum List

Back