Who are your top major league baseball pitchers, all-time?

I will start with Satchel Page. He was striking out major league batters at 50. Nolan Ryan must be respected. Bob Gibson. Juan Marichal. Don Drysdale. Sandy Koufax. Randy Johnson. The Orioles had quite a staff in the 70's and 80's, But Jim Palmer was probably the best one. Clemons was dominant. Dwight Gooden. CY Young, Walter Johnson. Bob Feller. Maddox. Glavine. Vida Blue. Ferguson Jenkins. The Niekro Brothers. Catfish Hunter. Louis Tiant. Kershaw. Verlander and Scherzer. There are so many and I've forgotten some. And if you add relief pitchers then you got Quizenberry, Rivera. Hoffman. Schmoltz. Eckersley, Gossage.
Pitchers pitched a lot longer back then. In years and innings. Today, a starting pitcher goes 6 innings and then is removed much more casually. Back then it seems a pitcher had to go 8 innings at least. Money has a lot to do with this. And there are players who have abilities but can not last as long due to minor and major injuries.
It’s a different game today.
Pitchers back then paced themselves to go nine innings. They pitched on four days rest. They were not tougher or stronger than today’s pitchers. They just had a different role.
Bullpens were a last resort back then. Today, the bullpen is full of studs. Pitchers today throw harder but only go seven innings and then turn the ball over
Very true. That's why I think hitters are better now, because they face fresh pitchers for the whole game.
My only gripe with today’s hitters is they are not as versatile. Can’t hit to the opposite field, can’t hit and run, can’t bunt to save their lives.......swing for the fences on every pitch
Drag bunt is a lost art

I will start with Satchel Page. He was striking out major league batters at 50. Nolan Ryan must be respected. Bob Gibson. Juan Marichal. Don Drysdale. Sandy Koufax. Randy Johnson. The Orioles had quite a staff in the 70's and 80's, But Jim Palmer was probably the best one. Clemons was dominant. Dwight Gooden. CY Young, Walter Johnson. Bob Feller. Maddox. Glavine. Vida Blue. Ferguson Jenkins. The Niekro Brothers. Catfish Hunter. Louis Tiant. Kershaw. Verlander and Scherzer. There are so many and I've forgotten some. And if you add relief pitchers then you got Quizenberry, Rivera. Hoffman. Schmoltz. Eckersley, Gossage.
Pitchers pitched a lot longer back then. In years and innings. Today, a starting pitcher goes 6 innings and then is removed much more casually. Back then it seems a pitcher had to go 8 innings at least. Money has a lot to do with this. And there are players who have abilities but can not last as long due to minor and major injuries.
Pitchers back then paced themselves to go nine innings. They pitched on four days rest. They were not tougher or stronger than today’s pitchers. They just had a different role.
Bullpens were a last resort back then. Today, the bullpen is full of studs. Pitchers today throw harder but only go seven innings and then turn the ball over
Very true. That's why I think hitters are better now, because they face fresh pitchers for the whole game.
My only gripe with today’s hitters is they are not as versatile. Can’t hit to the opposite field, can’t hit and run, can’t bunt to save their lives.......swing for the fences on every pitch
Drag bunt is a lost art
Old school hitters would have laughed at the shift.

Today’s hitters are paralyzed by it

Drag bunt is a lost art
Just getting down a good bunt is a lost art!

If not stated before there is a pitching change this year. A pitcher must face at least three batters or end the half inning that he is pitching in. A bit different. There are managers that micro manage who will not like that.

Forum List

Back