Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"
Thanks for your post, Frank. Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists, as well. The man could play well in so many genres of music. Jazz, rock, classical, blues, avant garde music, he WAS a genius. One of my favorite guitar instrumentals by him is "Watermelon In Easter Hay", which is on his Joe's Garage album. The song is just fantastic, Frank's playing is totally sublime. It has kind of a sad, somber sound to my ears, but is just a joy to listen to. It's very touching, and has brought tears to my eyes. It's just an incredible instrumental.
Watermelon is sublime! It's a wonderful melody and showcases Zappa tone and variety. VOL III of Joes Garage has amazing guitar work
Yeah, he was a musical genius. He died of AIDS.
Prostate cancer.

My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"
Thanks for your post, Frank. Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists, as well. The man could play well in so many genres of music. Jazz, rock, classical, blues, avant garde music, he WAS a genius. One of my favorite guitar instrumentals by him is "Watermelon In Easter Hay", which is on his Joe's Garage album. The song is just fantastic, Frank's playing is totally sublime. It has kind of a sad, somber sound to my ears, but is just a joy to listen to. It's very touching, and has brought tears to my eyes. It's just an incredible instrumental.
Watermelon is sublime! It's a wonderful melody and showcases Zappa tone and variety. VOL III of Joes Garage has amazing guitar work
Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

You gave Zappa AIDS?

Charlie Byrd an all around great jazz guitarist.
Here's a little of the music I used to call music to get laid by. A bottle or two of wine and a few albums like this and the gals were were puddy in my hands. Resistance was futile. It would go on for hours and hours.

Another great Brazilian jazz guitarist is Joao Gilberto. One of the all time great jazz samba albums was Getz Gilberto. Stan Getz sax and Joao Gilberto guitar. All Antonio Carlos Jobim songs who pretty much carved out the genre single handed.
Oh yeah the original girl from Ipanema was Gilberto's wife Asturd.

Then came Brasil 65 & Brasil 66 with Sergio Mendes and the ball really got rolling with Herb Albert's help. There a gal guitarist on Brasil 65 named Rosinha de Valença and that gal can play the hell out of a guitar. Well she used to anyway, she's dead now. Here's a link to the full album. It's worth the listen. Doesn't listening to Wanda de Sah just make you horny? BTW sax on this was not Getz but Paul Desmond.

Last edited:

WRONG, Duke. He died of cancer. Please get your info correct before posting.

Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

You gave Zappa AIDS?
Of COURSE Zappa DIDN'T die from AIDS. He died due to having cancer.

Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

You gave Zappa AIDS?
Marion is being a douche nozzle, i reported his stupid fucking post to the mods

Maybe an unexpected entry but a recent favorite of mine is Junior Brown. I don't know that he's exactly in the same league as these others - and don't know that he's not - but he plays (played until it was stolen in Massachusetts) an awesome gilt-steel guitar and played it pretty damn well.
An example would be nice. :)

Here's one highlighting his guitar chops.

Here's another one just for fun but not as much guitar work:

And another fun one you might be familiar with:

I love Junior Brown! Thanks for the post.

Prostate cancer.
Yep.

Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

You gave Zappa AIDS?
It's weird concerning Duke. He'll be posting great stuff, then he turns to incredible stupidity. Sometimes in the matter of minutes. I like MOST of his posts, but he has a strange tendency to start posting sh*t after awhile. Just VERY strange.

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
I hate guitars except when Prince plays it.

Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

You gave Zappa AIDS?

Prostate cancer.
Yep.
Y'all are free to believe wtf you want. That motherfucker died from AIDS.
If ary a motherfucker did die from AIDS, it was Frank Zappa. No kinda reconditioning is gonna change what I know.

Last edited:
This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
I hate guitars except when Prince plays it.

Thanks for your post. Prince was/is MIGHTY fine. Just an incredibly talented musician.

Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

You gave Zappa AIDS?

Prostate cancer.
Yep.
Y'all are free to believe wtf you want. That motherfucker died from AIDS.
If ary a motherfucker did die from AIDS, it was Frank Zappa. No kinda reconditioning is gonna change what I know.
STOP IT, Duke, and just go to bed, PLEASE.

Prostate cancer.
AIDS, brah.

You gave Zappa AIDS?
It's weird concerning Duke. He'll be posting great stuff, then he turns to incredible stupidity. Sometimes in the matter of minutes. I like MOST of his posts, but he has a strange tendency to start posting sh*t after awhile. Just VERY strange.
Asslips is derp.
He's A-OK on THIS thread, Duke.
He's A-OK never, unless you want to sign his reparations check.
Still would not make him alright in my book. Nope! Strict policy of "Fuck that piece of shit"

Forum List

Back