Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Jimi.....its Jimi of course! :biggrin: :clap::clap::clap:

1588480334460.png

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
Haha.
You know I have to pa'troll' this thread now that you've made it personal.

Chris Broderick

How to play - Dave and Marty parts

Last edited:
Al Di Meola. I got a chance to see him when he came to Tucson back in the 80s.
Fantastic jazz guitarist. I USED to own his Kiss My Axe CD, the one with the seductive woman on the cover. I believe I foolishly sold it and about 300 other CD's when I ran into financial dire straits (Hey, Mark Knopfler, one of my favorites.) in the early to mid 1990's. I really need to replace that CD.

You know, there are so many.

For Texas blues, there's never been anyone better than Stevie Ray Vaughan. Sometimes it's not even like he's aware of what he's playing. It just happens.

For acoustic guitar, I have to go with David Crosby. He uses a lot of alternate tunings that give him a really, really distinctive sound.

Eric Johnson is someone who can simply play anything better than just about anyone else. I've had the pleasure of shooting Eric on a number of occasions, and he never fails to amaze. I've gotten to know him a bit over the years and he's also just a wonderful guy. Here's a picture of Eric and me in the green room in Ponte Vedra, Florida a couple years ago:

eric01_orig.jpg

Then there are two guys you've probably never heard of. The first is Guthrie Govan. I remember the first time I ever heard him: mind blown. Look him up and check out some of his You Tube stuff.

Doyle Dykes is a very dear friend of mine, and someone I've done numerous tours with. He's a member of the Grand Old Opry, and used to play with Grandpa Jones back in the day. Also, if you go to Disneyland or Disney World and walk through Frontierland, his music is regularly played over the sound system. He's is one of the finest, if not the finest, fingerstyle guitarists on the planet. He's played with everyone from Chet Atkins to Eric Johnson to Duane Eddy. His rendition of "Wabash Cannonball" is killer:

I could go on, I really could... there are just so many...

For Texas blues, there's never been anyone better than Stevie Ray Vaughan. Sometimes it's not even like he's aware of what he's playing. It just happens.

For acoustic guitar, I have to go with David Crosby. He uses a lot of alternate tunings that give him a really, really distinctive sound.

Eric Johnson is someone who can simply play anything better than just about anyone else. I've had the pleasure of shooting Eric on a number of occasions, and he never fails to amaze. I've gotten to know him a bit over the years and he's also just a wonderful guy. Here's a picture of Eric and me in the green room in Ponte Vedra, Florida a couple years ago:

View attachment 331222

Then there are two guys you've probably never heard of. The first is Guthrie Govan. I remember the first time I ever heard him: mind blown. Look him up and check out some of his You Tube stuff.

Doyle Dykes is a very dear friend of mine, and someone I've done numerous tours with. He's a member of the Grand Old Opry, and used to play with Grandpa Jones back in the day. Also, if you go to Disneyland or Disney World and walk through Frontierland, his music is regularly played over the sound system. He's is one of the finest, if not the finest, fingerstyle guitarists on the planet. He's played with everyone from Chet Atkins to Eric Johnson to Duane Eddy. His rendition of "Wabash Cannonball" is killer:

Thanks very much for your post, CS. That's a cool pic of you and Eric Johnson. I saw Eric live twice, at a solo show he did at a small club in Mesa, Arizona, I believe, in 1990 0r 91. I saw him again when he played with the G3 tour, this was around 1996 or so. Joe Satriani and Steve Vai also played on that tour. Both shows were great. I just love the special TONE Eric gets on his guitar, it's fantastic.

I would add to that, Tony Iommi, Freddie King and Randy Rhoads.

I think Steve Vai is the best guitar music transcriptionist of all time, barre none. Back in the 80s and 90s there was a magazine called Guitar for the Practicing Musician and in every issue they would include notation and tablature for several songs. And Steve Vai transcribed a lot of those. The ones that he did were the most accurate and meticulously detailed transcriptions I've ever seen.

View attachment 331222

Thanks very much for your post, CS. That's a cool pic of you and Eric Johnson. I saw Eric live twice, at a solo show he did at a small club in Mesa, Arizona, I believe, in 1990 0r 91. I saw him again when he played with the G3 tour, this was around 1996 or so. Joe Satriani and Steve Vai also played on that tour. Both shows were great. I just love the special TONE Eric gets on his guitar, it's fantastic.

Here are a couple of my favorite EJ shots from some shows he did in San Diego some years back:

448108_orig.jpg

1735448_orig.jpg

Forum List

Back