Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

Way back when I played bass too. I played bass and rhythm because I was never good enough for lead but I liked playing bass anyway. It's what everyone dances too so you're not JUST a bass player. You're the anchor.
In all genres of music, the bass is underestimated. It isn't as easily heard and apparent as other instruments. But you take it away, and oh boy, it is missed. One day I was playing in a bar, with a bluegrass band, and our bass player got a call about his wife having a baby. He rushed off stage and out the door in one minute. Everybody in the audience who hadn't even noticed the bass, now said "Hey what happened to this band" ?

I used to spend a lot of time on a guitar forum. It had a lot of metal players on it and once in a while they'd start bragging about their so called shredding abilities. Then I'd go on the web and find a clip of some little kid just shredding the hell out of a giuitar and post it up for them. It's amazing the ability that some kids have at very early ages. Little Mozart's all over the place. That's how I know that real musical ability is a natural gift and a talent that you're either born with or you're not. And if you aren't born with some of it you ain't never gonna have it no matter how long you practice or how hard you try. Some folks got it and some ain't.

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

I like nearly everyone on your list. But I'm surprised it's so mainstream.

Domenick Troiano - lead guitarist for Toronto rock/soul band the Mandela. He did a lot of TV and movie soundtracks, Jeff Healey - a blind guitar player from Toronto. He was the guitar player in the Patrick Swayze movie "Roadhouse". I'm also fond of Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple, Eddie VanHalen, Joe Walsh. I thought Joe would ruin the Eagles, but he made them better. And Duane Eddy, the granddaddy of American guitarists. His guitar is featured in the movie Broken Arrow. And of course, Jack White, the best of the new generation. Johnny Winter.

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Domenick Troiano - lead guitarist for Toronto rock/soul band the Mandela. He did a lot of TV and movie soundtracks, Jeff Healey - a blind guitar player from Toronto. He was the guitar player in the Patrick Swayze movie "Roadhouse". I'm also fond of Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple, Eddie VanHalen, Joe Walsh. I thought Joe would ruin the Eagles, but he made them better. And Duane Eddy, the granddaddy of American guitarists. His guitar is featured in the movie Broken Arrow. And of course, Jack White, the best of the new generation. Johnny Winter.
Thanks for your post, Dragonlady. I like Jeff Healey's work, it's a shame he died so young. I REALLY like Joe Walsh. His work with the James Gang, the Eagles, and his solo work are nice to listen to.

Way back when I played bass too. I played bass and rhythm because I was never good enough for lead but I liked playing bass anyway. It's what everyone dances too so you're not JUST a bass player. You're the anchor.
In all genres of music, the bass is underestimated. It isn't as easily heard and apparent as other instruments. But you take it away, and oh boy, it is missed. One day I was playing in a bar, with a bluegrass band, and our bass player got a call about his wife having a baby. He rushed off stage and out the door in one minute. Everybody in the audience who hadn't even noticed the bass, now said "Hey what happened to this band" ?
What happened to the band was, we were the same band as before the bass player left, but we no longer had the DEPTH and Rythym POWER we had with the bass playing.

While
Al DiMeola on cocaine.

While most folks relate to Fender and Gibson today I think that Ibanez provides the best bang for the buck and the most guitar for the money going at any price point, budget to top end signature stuff. Even their budget stuff has nice build quality and gives great sound. If and when they skimp it's on the easy to replace stuff like tuning machines and bridges or something like that. Pickups maybe the hardest to upgrade that would need upgrading. You can take one of their budget models, spend a few dollars on easy to replace hardware and parts out of a Stew Mac catalog and end up with a really nice guitar for not much money. The necks, frets, body and all that critical stuff is always good to go right out of the box from what I've seen.

Last edited:
While
Al DiMeola on cocaine.

While most folks relate to Fender and Gibson today I think that Ibanez provides the best bang for the buck and the most guitar for the money going at any price point, budget to top end signature stuff. Even their budget stuff has nice build quality and gives great sound. If and when they skimp it's on the easy to replace stuff like tuning machines and bridges or something like that. Pickups maybe the hardest to upgrade that would need upgrading. You can take one of their budget models, spend a few dollars on easy to replace hardware and parts out of a Stew Mac catalog and end up with a really nice guitar for not much money. The necks, frets, body and all that critical stuff is always good to go right out of the box from what I've seen.

Agree. My Ibanez Artwood acoustic electric is the 2nd best acoustic guitar I've ever owned. Second only to the Martin D-28 I once had, and even that is a close comparison. The prices aren't close though. I paid $350 for the Ibanez in 2013. The comparable Ibanez still sells for about that. The Martin sells for $2900.

I used to spend a lot of time on a guitar forum. It had a lot of metal players on it and once in a while they'd start bragging about their so called shredding abilities. Then I'd go on the web and find a clip of some little kid just shredding the hell out of a giuitar and post it up for them. It's amazing the ability that some kids have at very early ages. Little Mozart's all over the place. That's how I know that real musical ability is a natural gift and a talent that you're either born with or you're not. And if you aren't born with some of it you ain't never gonna have it no matter how long you practice or how hard you try. Some folks got it and some ain't.

I can play the notes, but not the music. I can feel the music in my soul, but I cannot make it come out my fingers. What I play is technically correct, but superficial. I tried through much of my life to learn to play various instruments. I've worked hard and practiced faithfully. I can play the notes in the correct sequence and time, but it's not music. No matter how much I wish it were.

Thanks for your post, Dragonlady. I like Jeff Healey's work, it's a shame he died so young. I REALLY like Joe Walsh. His work with the James Gang, the Eagles, and his solo work are nice to listen to.

Since you're a fan of Joe Satriani you should check out Domenic Troiano.

I used to go to Ronnie Hawkins club in Toronto just to watch him play with Mandela. He was the best guitar player in Canada at the time.

Last edited:

Since you're a fan of Joe Satriani you should check out Domenic Troiano.

I used to go to Ronnie Hawkins club in Toronto just to watch him play with Mandela. He was the best guitar player in Canada at the time.

Thanks for the post.

While
Al DiMeola on cocaine.

Agree. My Ibanez Artwood acoustic electric is the 2nd best acoustic guitar I've ever owned. Second only to the Martin D-28 I once had, and even that is a close comparison. The prices aren't close though. I paid $350 for the Ibanez in 2013. The comparable Ibanez still sells for about that. The Martin sells for $2900.

Yep the best bang for the buck going IMHO. I'd never heard of them till I got one as a gift. Then I noticed the build quality and started to really appreciate it. The finish is like glass and its fully bound. The neck and fretboard is finished off nicely and it's fast. It's very comfortable to play.
I did have to do some work on the Bigsby copy whammy bar and I replaced the crappy buzzing like a bee bridge but that was all cheap and easy stuff. I've got some nicer pickups for it and I'll probably change the tuning machines too. By then it'll be a really nice guitar.
Any idea why Bigsby tremolos have a stop on the handle so it won't rotate around and out of the way? While I was working on mine I ground it off so I can rotate it all the way round. Helps stow it in the case too. It's works much nicer now but no one has been able to tell me why they did it.

Last edited:

I can play the notes, but not the music. I can feel the music in my soul, but I cannot make it come out my fingers. What I play is technically correct, but superficial. I tried through much of my life to learn to play various instruments. I've worked hard and practiced faithfully. I can play the notes in the correct sequence and time, but it's not music. No matter how much I wish it were.
Same predicament here. Plus I can't for the life of me learn to read music or make any sense out of harmony or music theory. It's just a senseless jumble of obscure unrelated stuff to me. What playing I do, I do by ear. I can feel it and take it in but I can't really get it out the way I feel it. However I still like trying.

Same predicament here. Plus I can't for the life of me learn to read music or make any sense out of harmony or music theory. It's just a senseless jumble of obscure unrelated stuff to me. What playing I do, I do by ear. I can feel it and take it in but I can't really get it out the way I feel it. However I still like trying.

I can read and transcribe music easily. Math and logic has always come easily to me, as did computer programing. Playing by ear is harder for me, although if I find the starting note, I can usually work it out. It's not a natural process for me.

It's funny that you mentioned that you still feel like trying. I was thinking of buying a piano. My ex-husband was the lead guitarist/singer for a 1970's cult favourite Canadian band. They put out one album, back in 1974, but mostly they played bars throughout eastern Canada in the early to mid-1970's. I had a couple of guitars when I was married to him, including an Epiphone accoustic, and a vintage 1954 cherry red Gibson Les Paul Jr. which I got for my 18th birthday. My ex took that guitar in the divorce and I know he still has it. It was and is his favourite guitar. He worked in musical instrument stores between gigs and had quite a collection, when we were married.

I was thinking of getting an electric piano. It's small enough to fit in my house, and I can move it by myself. My son works for the largest chain of musical instrument stores in Canada, so I can get a good deal, and being retired, I have the time. It's also the instrument that is the most natural to me, and which my playing comes closest to passing for music.

Forum List

Back