Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

You know, there are so many.

For Texas blues, there's never been anyone better than Stevie Ray Vaughan. Sometimes it's not even like he's aware of what he's playing. It just happens.

For acoustic guitar, I have to go with David Crosby. He uses a lot of alternate tunings that give him a really, really distinctive sound.

Eric Johnson is someone who can simply play anything better than just about anyone else. I've had the pleasure of shooting Eric on a number of occasions, and he never fails to amaze. I've gotten to know him a bit over the years and he's also just a wonderful guy. Here's a picture of Eric and me in the green room in Ponte Vedra, Florida a couple years ago:

View attachment 331222

Then there are two guys you've probably never heard of. The first is Guthrie Govan. I remember the first time I ever heard him: mind blown. Look him up and check out some of his You Tube stuff.

Doyle Dykes is a very dear friend of mine, and someone I've done numerous tours with. He's a member of the Grand Old Opry, and used to play with Grandpa Jones back in the day. Also, if you go to Disneyland or Disney World and walk through Frontierland, his music is regularly played over the sound system. He's is one of the finest, if not the finest, fingerstyle guitarists on the planet. He's played with everyone from Chet Atkins to Eric Johnson to Duane Eddy. His rendition of "Wabash Cannonball" is killer:

I could go on, I really could... there are just so many...

f*ck he's good!

~S~

There are some absolute wizards on guitar in rock. While I have great respect for the talent required for fast runs and 64th-note scales, my favorite style has always been melodic playing.

And nobody plays that style better than David Gilmore of Pink Floyd and Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits.

Gilmore is know for his phrasing, Knopfler a great 'thumb' player....~S~

There is only one.
He was the best Guitar player on the planet,even Jimi Hendrix admitted as much.

Da biggest badass of all badass blues players.

Our American Clapton, so sorry to loose him. Rumor was he played 13's on everything.

Blues is all `1-4-5 , you only really get 3 colors , so ya gotta be one f*ck of an artist & SRV was 'da man'

~S~

Classical Guitar - Paco De Lucia

One of the best. Thanks for the post, Borillar. I USED to have a CD that featured him, Al Di Meola, and one other guitarist, whose name escapes me. It's a live recording and it's fantastic. Unfortunately I believe I sold it with about 300 other of my CD's when I was in financial trouble in the early 1990's. I'd like to purchase this CD again.

monsters Bluz, complete out of this world monsters....~S~

You know, there are so many.

For Texas blues, there's never been anyone better than Stevie Ray Vaughan. Sometimes it's not even like he's aware of what he's playing. It just happens.

For acoustic guitar, I have to go with David Crosby. He uses a lot of alternate tunings that give him a really, really distinctive sound.

Eric Johnson is someone who can simply play anything better than just about anyone else. I've had the pleasure of shooting Eric on a number of occasions, and he never fails to amaze. I've gotten to know him a bit over the years and he's also just a wonderful guy. Here's a picture of Eric and me in the green room in Ponte Vedra, Florida a couple years ago:

View attachment 331222

Then there are two guys you've probably never heard of. The first is Guthrie Govan. I remember the first time I ever heard him: mind blown. Look him up and check out some of his You Tube stuff.

Doyle Dykes is a very dear friend of mine, and someone I've done numerous tours with. He's a member of the Grand Old Opry, and used to play with Grandpa Jones back in the day. Also, if you go to Disneyland or Disney World and walk through Frontierland, his music is regularly played over the sound system. He's is one of the finest, if not the finest, fingerstyle guitarists on the planet. He's played with everyone from Chet Atkins to Eric Johnson to Duane Eddy. His rendition of "Wabash Cannonball" is killer:

I could go on, I really could... there are just so many...

f*ck he's good!

~S~

N dats whatca call ah picker.

My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"
Thanks for your post, Frank. Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists, as well. The man could play well in so many genres of music. Jazz, rock, classical, blues, avant garde music, he WAS a genius. One of my favorite guitar instrumentals by him is "Watermelon In Easter Hay", which is on his Joe's Garage album. The song is just fantastic, Frank's playing is totally sublime. It has kind of a sad, somber sound to my ears, but is just a joy to listen to. It's very touching, and has brought tears to my eyes. It's just an incredible instrumental.
you probably know who you're looking at Bluz>

~S~

There is only one.

Our American Clapton, so sorry to loose him. Rumor was he played 13's on everything.

Blues is all `1-4-5 , you only really get 3 colors , so ya gotta be one f*ck of an artist & SRV was 'da man'

~S~

Clapton is a limey you dope. LOL

He was capable .....

the 'point' being SRV wasn't part of the english invasion....

~S~

I
There is only one.

~S~

Clapton is a limey you dope. LOL

He was capable .....

the 'point' being SRV wasn't part of the english invasion....

~S~

I've got that very album.

One of the best. Thanks for the post, Borillar. I USED to have a CD that featured him, Al Di Meola, and one other guitarist, whose name escapes me. It's a live recording and it's fantastic. Unfortunately I believe I sold it with about 300 other of my CD's when I was in financial trouble in the early 1990's. I'd like to purchase this CD again.

For a keyboardist, Hammer is a pretty good lead guitarist. ;)

For a keyboardist, Hammer is a pretty good lead guitarist. ;)

I really like his work with Jeff Beck in the 1970's.

Forum List

Back