Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Benson, Hank Marvin, Nokie Edward's, Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton, Jorge Strunz, Andre Segovia, João Gilberto, Rosinha de Valença and many, many more. And every damn one of them can play circles around a hack like me. Heck I can't play a lick next to any of em.

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
So my" trolling" bothers you is that it ?

So my" trolling" bothers you is that it ?
Not at ALL, Angelo! You're A-1 Cool in MY book.

I would add to that, Tony Iommi, Freddie King and Randy Rhoads.

I think Steve Vai is the best guitar music transcriptionist of all time, barre none. Back in the 80s and 90s there was a magazine called Guitar for the Practicing Musician and in every issue they would include notation and tablature for several songs. And Steve Vai transcribed a lot of those. The ones that he did were the most accurate and meticulously detailed transcriptions I've ever seen.
Vai's transcription in the Frank Zappa guitar book are just fucking scary.

I think Steve Vai is the best guitar music transcriptionist of all time, barre none. Back in the 80s and 90s there was a magazine called Guitar for the Practicing Musician and in every issue they would include notation and tablature for several songs. And Steve Vai transcribed a lot of those. The ones that he did were the most accurate and meticulously detailed transcriptions I've ever seen.
It's interesting that on the Zappa albums Vai played on, he was listed as playing "impossible guitar"!

Thanks brother.
Just making sure, because I don't try to come off as an 'expert' on anything
really. I just try to contribute the most interesting stuff I can think of
and be myself.
You're welcome. And you ARE an expert on guitarists, NO doubt about that!

My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"

It's interesting that on the Zappa albums Vai played on, he was listed as playing "impossible guitar"!

I posted the "Stevies Spanking" duet video a few times.

Vai transcribed the "Packard Goose" solo from Joe's Garage. It's probably the most visceral solo Ever

Thanks brother.
Just making sure, because I don't try to come off as an 'expert' on anything
really. I just try to contribute the most interesting stuff I can think of
and be myself.
You're welcome. And you ARE an expert on guitarists, NO doubt about that!
I'd rather be an expert at playing...but I've been crunching lately .
( giving myself a crash course and practicing until there's pain and then keep practicing)

My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"
Thanks for your post, Frank. Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists, as well. The man could play well in so many genres of music. Jazz, rock, classical, blues, avant garde music, he WAS a genius. One of my favorite guitar instrumentals by him is "Watermelon In Easter Hay", which is on his Joe's Garage album. The song is just fantastic, Frank's playing is totally sublime. It has kind of a sad, somber sound to my ears, but is just a joy to listen to. It's very touching, and has brought tears to my eyes. It's just an incredible instrumental.

Classical Guitar - Paco De Lucia

One of the best. Thanks for the post, Borillar. I USED to have a CD that featured him, Al Di Meola, and one other guitarist, whose name escapes me. It's a live recording and it's fantastic. Unfortunately I believe I sold it with about 300 other of my CD's when I was in financial trouble in the early 1990's. I'd like to purchase this CD again.

Forum List

Back