Who are some of your favorite guitarists all-time, in any genre of music?

My favorite guitar player is Frank Zappa. I took the scenic route to my devout love and admiration of this national treasure. I grew up in the "Clapton is God" era, I was 13 when Led Zeppelin II was released and I listened to Heartbreaker about a billion times.

There are dozens of guitar players I admire and can listen to for days, many of whom were already mentioned.

Zappa released literally 5 whole CDs of guitar solos! Its a body of work as engulfing as Ramanajan's notebooks. Some of the mesmerizing treats for me are: System of Edges, Outside Now (original solo), Heavy Duty Judy, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar. Most importantly, it's the interplay between Frank coming up with a spontaneous melody IN CONCERT WITH Vinny Colaiuta and Arthur Barrow and the rest of the "rocking teenage combo"
Thanks for your post, Frank. Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists, as well. The man could play well in so many genres of music. Jazz, rock, classical, blues, avant garde music, he WAS a genius. One of my favorite guitar instrumentals by him is "Watermelon In Easter Hay", which is on his Joe's Garage album. The song is just fantastic, Frank's playing is totally sublime. It has kind of a sad, somber sound to my ears, but is just a joy to listen to. It's very touching, and has brought tears to my eyes. It's just an incredible instrumental.
you probably know who you're looking at Bluz>

~S~

It was called the Black Page because the clusters of tuplets were packed so tightly on the sheet music, the page looked black. It took Bozzio a few weeks of practice to get it perfectly; Zappa plunked the sheet music in front of Vinny Colaiuta at his audition and he played it perfectly by sight reading

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Gotta go with Gun's and Roses....Slash....

Go to 1:05

I was just getting ready to put up a clip of him.
Few people know that before he became a singing artist Glen Campbell was a guitarist and a sesson musician and part of the famous Wrecking Crew that played about 90% of all the recorded music heard on records or on TV in the 60s and 70s.

Tommy Tadesco was probably the best session guitarist alive back then and the richest too. Most of US rock music at least the stuff recorded in LA, theme from Hawaii Five O, theme from Bonanza and almost every other guitar lick you heard back then was Tommy Tadesco. If you ever see the documentary about the wrecking crew, watch it. Better yet record it.

Few people know that before he became a singing artist Glen Campbell was a guitarist and a sesson musician and part of the famous Wrecking Crew that played about 90% of all the recorded music heard on records or on TV in the 60s and 70s.

Tommy Tadesco was probably the best session guitarist alive back then and the richest too. Most of US rock music at least the stuff recorded in LA, theme from Hawaii Five O, theme from Bonanza and almost every other guitar lick you heard back then was Tommy Tadesco. If you ever see the documentary about the wrecking crew, watch it. Better yet record it.

AND Glen actually toured with the Beach Boys in the 1960's.

A true Master...

JO

This thread goes out to Angelo, THE expert on guitarists on this site. Some of my favorites include Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Richard Thompson - guitarist/singer/songwriter extraordinaire from the UK, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Robert Fripp, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sonny Landreth - THE best blues and rock slide guitarist I've heard. These are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Gotta go with Gun's and Roses....Slash....
I love this riff, not many know it/ of it..
Best guitarist? No.. Knows how to jam? Yes!

Last edited:
T

That's because the Wrecking Crew played the instruments on all of the Beach Boys records. Same with the Association, Monkeys and many more if not most. The Beach Boys themselves were largely no talent hacks when it came to playing instruments.

A true Master...

JO

He ain't too shabby!

T

That's because the Wrecking Crew played the instruments on all of the Beach Boys records. Same with the Association, Monkeys and many more if not most. The Beach Boys themselves were largely no talent hacks when it came to playing instruments.

Thanks for the info, Dick.

Forum List

Back