White House slams Republican offshore drilling bill

Federal taxes is constitutional. Offshore drilling banning or forcing isn't listing anywhere in the constitution (that I'm aware of). Therefore it is a state issue-or at least should be one.

The Department of Energy and the Department of the Interior also aren't mentioned in the Constitution.

So you want to repeal all federal regulations that aren't specifically listed in the Constitution?

You haven't thought this out too well, have you?

Sounds to me that he thought it out just fine. If a private enterprise wanted to build something that could have a devastating effect on you (mega-hog farm, oil rig, strip mine, nuclear power plant, etc.) you should have some sort of say whether or not it is built or what kind of guidelines should be put in place. Especially if it's going to destroy a business you spent a lifetime building.

Ever heard of emminent domain? How about manifest destiny. The Govt can and will takewhat is necessary, do what is necessary for the "public good".....

Ask any Native American....

The gas prices are skyrocketting and they are criticizing efforts to drill for more oil??? Is there no sanity on this planet?

We can't drill for our own oil, thereby providing jobs for our people and increasing the supply to drive prices down. But we can just give money to foreign companies to do it offshore in more dangerous places

yeah 11 or so jobs per drilling rig?

And on BP exploded rig how many were Americans?

How many undrilled oil leases do we have now?

Should oil companies drill leases or tuen them over to someone who will?

Last edited:
Federal taxes is constitutional. Offshore drilling banning or forcing isn't listing anywhere in the constitution (that I'm aware of). Therefore it is a state issue-or at least should be one.

The Department of Energy and the Department of the Interior also aren't mentioned in the Constitution.

So you want to repeal all federal regulations that aren't specifically listed in the Constitution?

You haven't thought this out too well, have you?

Sounds to me that he thought it out just fine. If a private enterprise wanted to build something that could have a devastating effect on you (mega-hog farm, oil rig, strip mine, nuclear power plant, etc.) you should have some sort of say whether or not it is built or what kind of guidelines should be put in place. Especially if it's going to destroy a business you spent a lifetime building.

It's interesting how you assume the people of the states in question would automatically agree with your "just keep funneling money to other nations" plan, rather than welcoming more jobs and revenue to their area. Could it be that you're only interested in giving power to the voters when you know there's not a hope in Hell of it ever actually happening, or is that just a coincidence?

Obama and the rest of the loons want a gaurantee that nothing will ever go wrong. In other words, they never intend to allow further offshore drilling, because you can never guarantee such a thing.

You've never noticed that liberals spend their entire lives looking for guarantees that nothing will ever go wrong? Their whole public policy is built on the assumption that government can prevent shit from ever happening, if we just pass enough laws and collect enough taxes.

And when it DOES go wrong for them...they go to their playbook: Blame, Minimize, Deny, Obfuscate...(The *OTHER* guy is at fault as they pave their road of 'good intentions' with shoddy asphalt)...

;)

Exactly.

You've never noticed that liberals spend their entire lives looking for guarantees that nothing will ever go wrong? Their whole public policy is built on the assumption that government can prevent shit from ever happening, if we just pass enough laws and collect enough taxes.

More sweeping generalizations, hooray. Certainly going to add to the discussion like an adult with a post like that.

What a surprise, the Hussein is content with higher gas prices.

All the warmers want higher gas prices, because it will force us to run to alternative energies.

Problem is there is no real alternative energy especially for transit.

Of course Obama is content with higher gas prices. The President never has to buy his own gas. And you KNOW the Presidential limo is never going to be a Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf.

Appearently many Republican politicians believe that despite the fact major that majot problems have yet to be resolved in the Gulf, BP gas earned yet another chance to bid on "offshore" drilling reserves!

Given the fact that in the behavioral sciences, past actions have always been the best predictors of future behavior, doesn't BP's well-deserved reputation as the "Charlie Sheen" of the oil and gas world, have consequences?

Appearently not!

Our conservative friends appear more than willng to "forgive-and-forget" BP's past indiscretions - revealing a side of their character that President Obama and the Democrats have never seen!

That's OK...there are other more responsible Companies that can do the job if this is your main concern...
The real question is why don't ALL conservatives share the same MAIN CONCERN - and if they don't, why don't they?

What has BP done to deserve/renew the trust of the US public - the 99.99% of Americans who don't have their common sense influenced by receiving political contributions, with "strings attached?"

If BP were to be given the "death sentence" and excluded from all future off-shore drilling by the federal government, you can be assured that safety concerns would take on a whole new meaning in the "oil and gas" industry!

Just as there are different 'Factions' of Conservatism...as there are in STATISM/Progressiveism...or whatever label you'd like to affix here...

If ya have a beef of ONE comapny and their practices/ FATAL mistake is to affix it to ALL of them. Hasn't our economy suffered enough?

Of course Obama is content with higher gas prices. The President never has to buy his own gas. And you KNOW the Presidential limo is never going to be a Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf.

Yes, because I'm sure President Obama just wants higher gas prices so the economy takes another dip. After all, the evil marxist genius that he is certainly sees his way to victory in 2012 by making sure gasoline is $7 a gallon. Because he knows that will get him a lot of votes.

More sweeping generalizations, hooray. Certainly going to add to the discussion like an adult with a post like that.

Don't blame ME if your worldview is so easily encapsulated. It's my job to observe your behavior and comment on it, not to make it sound intelligent.

Don't blame ME if your worldview is so easily encapsulated. It's my job to observe your behavior and comment on it, not to make it sound intelligent.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions in general, including about my behavior and worldview. Neither of which you seem to know about. I'm merely remarking that you making such sweeping generalizations add nothing to the conversation. All you're doing is espousing your ideology. Not making any sort of rational statement.

Yes, because I'm sure President Obama just wants higher gas prices so the economy takes another dip. After all, the evil marxist genius that he is certainly sees his way to victory in 2012 by making sure gasoline is $7 a gallon. Because he knows that will get him a lot of votes.

Just because his policies are ludicrous doesn't make them not his policies. I believe that IS the point of contention we have with him.

Honestly, I don't give a good goddamn WHAT he thinks the brilliant motivation behind looking for higher gas prices is. It is undeniable - by anyone who's not a lying partisan hack - that he HAS said it.

Just because his policies are ludicrous doesn't make them not his policies. I believe that IS the point of contention we have with him.

Honestly, I don't give a good goddamn WHAT he thinks the brilliant motivation behind looking for higher gas prices is. It is undeniable - by anyone who's not a lying partisan hack - that he HAS said it.

Just because you may disagree with him ideologically doesn't give you a free pass to make stupid statements like "Obama wants higher gas prices." In no shape or form does President Obama benefit from higher gas prices. This is the same sort of idiotic rhetoric like "President Bush wants more troops to die."

You're going to have to provide evidence that he wants higher gas prices.

No, that's the simple truth.

Obama thinks he can blame it on those sinister oil corporations. he's been blaming all his fiascoes on Bush for the past 2 1/2 years. What makes you think he's going to accept the blame for high gas prices?

Obama thinks he can blame it on those sinister oil corporations. he's been blaming all his fiascoes on Bush for the past 2 1/2 years. What makes you think he's going to accept the blame for high gas prices?

You can read President Obama's mind? What a useful trick that must be! Though I'm sure you can provide me with evidence that President Obama wants high gas prices.

The real question is why don't ALL conservatives share the same MAIN CONCERN - and if they don't, why don't they?

What has BP done to deserve/renew the trust of the US public - the 99.99% of Americans who don't have their common sense influenced by receiving political contributions, with "strings attached?"

If BP were to be given the "death sentence" and excluded from all future off-shore drilling by the federal government, you can be assured that safety concerns would take on a whole new meaning in the "oil and gas" industry!

There are companies other than BP that do offshore drilling.

Yeah I tried that angle with the honoured poster...

because if there was a spill it wouldnt just affect that state..hence the safety regulations, and why the White house is against this new bill.

Seriously you are a fucking moron.

The Whitehouse is against it because the Whitehouse wants to shutdown offshore drilling, period.

End of story.

They do however one of the biggest market shares.

BP Plc : Overview

BP ranks in the top three in terms of reserves in the global oil and gas industry with operations in Europe, the Americas, Asia, Australasia and Africa [17]. More than 70% of profits are generated in Europe and the United States but the company is also pressing ahead with new exploration and production operations in Africa, South America, Asia and the Caspian sea [18].

BP is the largest retailer of gasoline in the US. [19] Marketing as AMOCO in the eastern United States and ARCO in the west, it has about 17,150 service stations nationwide [20].

Forum List

Back